Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

4 hours ago, BenjoDiMeo said:

Let's start thinking now about what kind of ridiculous stunt they're gonna come up with for the reveal this year.

Just kidding!

What if ALL of this was a giant ruse to announce their 2021 lineup 🤨 -  Corona was just a front for Gabi to keep us all guessing...

5 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

What hotel did you book? One of the mad good ones close to the festival or a more reasonable one easier to switch over?

We booked EasyHotel since we have to do it on as much of a budget as possible. (This is both my first European festival and holiday in 9 years aha). 

They've actually been fairly helpful through this. 

To anyone booking hotels, please make sure it's refundable.

There is a rumour going round people connected to Glastonbury (and it's just a rumour, not substantiated) that Glastonbury have decided the potential for 2021 being cancelled is too high a risk and so they have already given up on 2021 and are planning for 2022 instead. 

Primavera have a different setup so will continue to plan for 2021 but, if true, it does highlight the perceived risk.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

There is a rumour going round people connected to Glastonbury (and it's just a rumour, not substantiated) that Glastonbury have decided the potential for 2021 being cancelled is too high a risk and so they have already given up on 2021 and are planning for 2022 instead. 

Primavera have a different setup so will continue to plan for 2021 but, if true, it does highlight the perceived risk.

Where’ve you heard this?

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Where’ve you heard this?

From a mate and as mentioned, not substantiated so can take with a pinch of salt.

But it does seem plausible to me. They've run fallow years before i.e. don't need to run the event each year unlike others.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

But it does seem plausible to me.

it doesn't to me.

While it might be something they're thinking about - after all, no one knows how long this shit might go on - there's absolutely no need to make a decision about it until the middle of September at earliest (when getting set for the ticket sale) when things might look a whole lot different to how they look right now.

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

From a mate and as mentioned, not substantiated so can take with a pinch of salt.

But it does seem plausible to me. They've run fallow years before i.e. don't need to run the event each year unlike others.

The grass will be in great condition by 2022. The cows will be wondering what is going on with their annual moo-ve being cancelled.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

it doesn't to me.

While it might be something they're thinking about - after all, no one knows how long this shit might go on - there's absolutely no need to make a decision about it until the middle of September at earliest (when getting set for the ticket sale) when things might look a whole lot different to how they look right now.

OK, fair enough. My mate was wrong once before but he was also right before. We'll see...

Aye I've no doubt in my mind that having to scrap 2021 is an option Glastonbury/every other festival is preparing for if the virus hasn't been at all controlled between now and next year, but that will be a hard Plan B and not something they're already putting in to action now - there's far too much resting on next years festivals going ahead, especially after the substantial losses from this year. Hopefully the virus initially spreading so early this year, rather than during festival season/summer, gives enough time for 2021 to not be cancelled as well. I'm cautiously optimistic about festival season being a goer next year.

It looks like it is a straight race against time. Will the vaccine be produced in time (if it is even effective)? No one knows of course but the median scientist seems to be forecasting the middle of next year.

Wouldn't want to bet either way. Gambling it will go ahead could double your losses (staff still need to be paid after all) from this year if you get it wrong.

I'm glass half full...just about.

I wonder for 2021, are they're going to attempt to book as many acts as possible from 2020, or should we expect a different thing?

Of course there are lots of new, exciting possibilities for artists, but honestly the 2020 lineup was awesome and I'd really want to see it takes place next year. And I imagine most artists will be simply postponing their tours to 2021 so it seems like it would be possible to rebook most of them.

Also, please, Pavement.

5 hours ago, yaniv297 said:

I wonder for 2021, are they're going to attempt to book as many acts as possible from 2020, or should we expect a different thing?

Of course there are lots of new, exciting possibilities for artists, but honestly the 2020 lineup was awesome and I'd really want to see it takes place next year. And I imagine most artists will be simply postponing their tours to 2021 so it seems like it would be possible to rebook most of them.

Also, please, Pavement.

Mad Cool (which may or may not be a parallel) have said they are going to reschedule as many bands as possible and fill gaps with new bands.

12 hours ago, xxialac said:

Live Nation planning a live music return for Q3 (July onwards) of 2021 backs this up as well. I’ve heard from a couple of people in the industry that next summer is still a big question mark and if it happens it’ll be in a different format to what we’re used to. 

Low just did an instagram story of the PS video posted today - be good to see them again in 2021 - i guess the rule of (most) bands not playing two years in in a row could be obsolete now?

they were astonishing in 2019. 

Edited by Ohjesus

23 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

Low just did an instagram story of the PS video posted today - be good to see them again in 2021 - i guess the rule of (most) bands not playing two years in in a row could be obsolete now?

they were astonishing in 2019. 

They should do two back-to-back weekends of Primavera next year to take advantage of the best of this year's music AND the best of next year's. Don't go to the trouble of taking the stages down. And have Porto the same weekend as one of them, with bands hopping between the two.

I honestly think both would sell very well with so much pent up festival demand (especially as it it's the first major one in the festival season) and with other festivals going under. 

When Freddie Mercury had 'a perfect dream' about Barcelona, Double Primavera after Coronavirus is surely what he was thinking of.

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, xxialac said:

They should do two back-to-back weekends of Primavera next year to take advantage of the best of this year's music AND the best of next year's. Don't go to the trouble of taking the stages down. And have Porto the same weekend as one of them, with bands hopping between the two.

I honestly think both would sell very well with so much pent up festival demand (especially as it it's the first major one in the festival season) and with other festivals going under. 

When Freddie Mercury had 'a perfect dream' about Barcelona, Double Primavera after Coronavirus is surely what he was thinking of.

Sounds good to me, although they really shouldn't double down on next summer.