Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

With Sonar starting mid June it should not be too difficult to calculate the facts.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Who knows.

Maybe one of the experts on here who told us that Spanish festivals can't legally cancel, could tell us the situation 🙄

On 5/5/2020 at 10:06 PM, Orens said:

800-people outdoor events starting June 10th. Honestly, who knows what is planned for August.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/news/72594

Edited by puckno

Two things:

NOS Primavera has now been cancelled - only vouchers mentioned in the press release.

Sonar has been cancelled - without the government having declared force majeure (as far as I can see). AND announced they will give choice between voucher and refund.

Maybe one of the Primavera apologists can explain how Sonar can do what Primavera can't do and why NOS doesn't even mention refunds. And how after this you can still be sure that there will be refunds. Because what you said until now was: cancelation in Spain only after force majeure and Primavera will always refund.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

Sonar has been cancelled - without the government having declared force majeure (as far as I can see). AND announced they will give choice between voucher and refund.

Well, force majeure is not something a government declare. When it is not possible to arrange a festival out of legal grounds the festival can declare a force majeure situation. For Sonar, given the reopening dates which have been communicated by spanish government, and already been postponed for the barcelona region by spanish government late yesterday, it is pretty clear that having the Sonar as planned will be illegal. And obviously Sonar think they are enough in the clear to go ahead and cancel. 

Edited by puckno
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

Two things:

NOS Primavera has now been cancelled - only vouchers mentioned in the press release.

Maybe one of the Primavera apologists can explain how Sonar can do what Primavera can't do and why NOS doesn't even mention refunds. And how after this you can still be sure that there will be refunds. Because what you said until now was: cancelation in Spain only after force majeure and Primavera will always refund.

Can be sure there will be refunds for a number of reasons:

- Primavera is a successful business with a 20 year track record

- Primavera's reputation would be damaged if they refused refunds; it's in their interest to offer refunds

- Their press office responded to the Guardian article to say "they do intend to make refunds" which has appeared in print

Sonar have announced re their June event (and have done so in May by the way). There is more more clarity and potentially legal clarity on the situation in Spain in June than there is in August. Barcelona is obviously their flagship, Porto has a different setup and different management and harder to predict what will happen to Nos.

Sonar was under extreme time pressure: it was supposed to start in only five weeks, which is clearly impossible.

No-one knows what Sonar's legal/insurance/liability situation is, but it's interesting that they're violating their own terms and conditions:

8.3. - The total and/or partial cancellation of SÓNAR due to unforeseeable circumstances and/or force majeure and/or any other cause which, being beyond its control, would recommend for reasons of safety, prudence and/or risk to third parties, the cancellation of the Festival, will under no circumstances lead to a refund of the ticket price

Vouchers for next year in preference to refunds. Whenever Primavera get their heads out of wherever they are and make an announcement, I don't expect it to be any different. Whatever Sonar has announced, they're clearly in no position to refund everyone.

The NOS Alive announcement clearly states that the vouchers are being issued as a result of government decisions. And Primavara have already had a statement about refunds dragged out of them.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, puckno said:

Well, force majeure is not something a government declare. When it is not possible to arrange a festival out of legal grounds the festival can declare a force majeure situation. For Sonar, given the reopening dates which have been communicated by spanish government, and already been postponed for the barcelona region by spanish government late yesterday, it is pretty clear that having the Sonar as planned will be illegal. And obviously Sonar think they are enough in the clear to go ahead and cancel. 

Well, I was just repeating what was said here repeatedly. Explanations change with every turn of events. Former facts become speculation. It's always different for PS, even different from NOS, which is for all things PS. That - and PS offering no information whatsoever - is what's really bugging me. This from someone who will go in 2021 99%.

Sorry, think I'll go to hibernation on that issue again. There's more important things, really .

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Chilly Toad said:

Two things:

Maybe one of the Primavera apologists can explain how Sonar can do what Primavera can't do and whye NOS doesn't even mention refunds.

Well, maybe because Portuguese legislation (to help the promoters in a difficult situation) only refers vouchers as possibility of refund. They will give vouchers to the people who wants to get "refunded", so people can use the voucher in a different gig of that promoter. And yes, I know what you are thinking, you do not live in Portugal, so probably your only option is to keep your ticket for 2021. Think about Rolling Loud that would take place in Algarve next summer. 46 thousand tickets sold overseas (from a total of 55 thousand). And yes, the promoter will only give vouchers (at least is what they said).

And yes, I am Portuguese, I know what I am talking. Next time, please check all the news (not only - "why NOS is only referring vouchers and not refunds?"), to help me to not need to register to write this.

We all bought tickets, and we all know that in the Selling conditions, there is a thing that says - no refund in case of force majeure. Yes, it is a complicated situation. For everyone. Not only for costumers. Also for companies. Even airline companies are giving vouchers; tour operators are offering vouchers.

Deal with that. Work more, complain less.

Edited by MeMeMeM
Mistake
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MeMeMeM said:

Well, maybe because Portuguese legislation (to help the promoters in a difficult situation) only refers vouchers as possibility of refund. They will give vouchers to the people who wants to get "refunded", so people can use the voucher in a different gig of that promoter. And yes, I know what you are thinking, you do not live in Portugal, so probably your only option is to keep your ticket for 2021. Think about Rolling Loud that would take place in Algarve next summer. 46 thousand tickets sold overseas (from a total of 55 thousand). And yes, the promoter will only give vouchers (at least is what they said).

And yes, I am Portuguese, I know what I am talking. Next time, please check all the news (not only - "why NOS is only referring vouchers and not refunds?"), to help me to not need to register to write this.

We all bought tickets, and we all know that in the Selling conditions, there is a thing that says - no refund in case of force majeure. Yes, it is a complicated situation. For everyone. Not only for costumers. Also for companies. Even airline companies are giving vouchers; tour operators are offering vouchers.

Deal with that. Work more, complain less.

you can ask for a refund but only starting january 2022

31 minutes ago, bananaa52 said:

you can ask for a refund but only starting january 2022

Yes, indeed. At least accordingly with last information. It is a work in progress. Anyway, I don't see someone waiting like almost two years for a refund.

Hmm is that the same @nowheretohide responsible for these gems?

"Im still pretty sure 90% that Primavera will happen...some here on this thread literally are having hard on whenever they read something about corona"

(followed by sound of screeching u-turn , now saying it won't happen plus throw in a trump-style conspiracy)

"I don't trust anything that who said about covid19 all this looks like biological warfare..."

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MeMeMeM said:

Yes, indeed. At least accordingly with last information. It is a work in progress. Anyway, I don't see someone waiting like almost two years for a refund.

i guess it is obvious but i still didn't see it explicitly written. the tickets for this year will be transferred for next year's edition right? the voucher is just an option we have right?

4 hours ago, MeMeMeM said:

Sorry for making you register. Thank you for trying to do Primavera's job.

3 hours ago, bananaa52 said:

i guess it is obvious but i still didn't see it explicitly written. the tickets for this year will be transferred for next year's edition right? the voucher is just an option we have right?

The proposal of the government has not been approved yet. I believe that only this week they will give all the details. I imagine that who wants to keep the ticket, will be able to do that. Only who wants a "refund" will get a voucher. At least it is what is expected.

2 hours ago, Chilly Toad said:

Sorry for making you register. Thank you for trying to do Primavera's job.

Primavera's job? The Spanish government has not decided yet about music festivals. Are you talking about Primavera's job or Spanish government's job?

Yes, we all know that will not take place. But, at this very moment, there is not a prohibition from the government. There are several festivals in the same situation: BBK Live, MadCool, Low Festival, Azkena Rock, Vida, Ressurection, and many more. All of them taking place before Primavera (June/July). All of them waiting to see how to deal with the situation.

For you is easy to say: "hey, give me my money back". Everybody wants the same. But if my boss refunds all his costumers in cash (I work at a tour operator), probably I will not get my salary (which, by the way, was cut in 33%, since we are in lay-off). So, to honor is duties, he gives vouchers to the clients, so they can use them later. Is it the ideal? No. But, is better than nothing.

And I would say the same for any other festival. Yes, Primavera is my favorite festival. Yes, their communication sometimes can be awful. And yes, they are a business and, besides their "love" for music and music fans, they want the business to be profit (do you like to work for free?). But they gave me some of the best moments of my life (musically speaking, but even further). I like to show them some respect.

Edited by MeMeMeM
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 5

Sometimes feel that people care more about communication - in the midst of a massive crisis - than they do about other things surely of much greater importance. Yes, it has been mostly poor this year but over the last 10 years their communication has been fine (other then their annual gimmicky lineup announcements).

If you could only pick two of these, which would you choose?

- Read good communication about ticket refunds

- Be offered ticket refund

- Attend an absolutely brilliant festival, overflowing with great acts and well organised

If I had to weight these three areas, the final one would get 95%+ of the available marks and the second is surely much more important than the first.

13 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Sometimes feel that people care more about communication - in the midst of a massive crisis - than they do about other things surely of much greater importance. Yes, it has been mostly poor this year but over the last 10 years their communication has been fine (other then their annual gimmicky lineup announcements).

If you could only pick two of these, which would you choose?

- Read good communication about ticket refunds

- Be offered ticket refund

- Attend an absolutely brilliant festival, overflowing with great acts and well organised

If I had to weight these three areas, the final one would get 95%+ of the available marks and the second is surely much more important than the first.

Nice. Still doesn't answer why PS have stopped all communication with their customers. Read the Facebook comments. Lots and lots of people want them to communicate. What's so hard about it?

1 minute ago, Chilly Toad said:

Nice. Still doesn't answer why PS have stopped all communication with their customers. Read the Facebook comments. Lots and lots of people want them to communicate. What's so hard about it?

What do you want them to say besides what they already said? 

2 hours ago, diogozsz said:

What do you want them to say besides what they already said? 

What have they already said? Very little, after  moving the festival to dates that were clearly unworkable and making vague promises about 'alternatives' soon. That was five weeks ago and nothing since. You can't see why people might find that inadequate? 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Growlkass said:

What have they already said? Very little, after  moving the festival to dates that were clearly unworkable and making vague promises about 'alternatives' soon. That was five weeks ago and nothing since. You can't see why people might find that inadequate? 

Yes, I do and I'm pissed off too since I have a ticket on my hands. 

But if there's no progress what do you want them to say? Do you want a weekly "Hey Primavera Sound fans, we still don't have any news but we want you all to know that we're alive. :)" update? They're as clueless as we are right now. Should they be? No, but they are. 

Edited by diogozsz

To be honest, I'm finding this discussion about Primavera's communications to be a storm in a teacup. There's a much bigger problem, which is whether it's even possible for the festival to take place in its current form next year.

I suspect I'll take the voucher option, to keep faith with the festival, but I'm not kidding myself that there's a better than 50% chance of it happening next year.