Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

3 hours ago, Karl_Mcr said:

I'm have flights booked from the UK, received an email from Vuelings last week.

Only the offer of a voucher. Transferable & valid for 18mths.

I checked again now, only the one email.

Email arrived now, flight has been cancelled, refund offered. 👍

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, whos3000 said:

ryanair anyone? complete silence from them

The other leg of my flights is Ryanair, but that flight has not been cancelled yet (currently available for £25 !) 

Ryanair will do everything they can to hold onto the money, legal or otherwise. I'm going to practice jumping through hoops now for whenever I need to contact them. Vueling Refund was an easy 2 clicks & done through the website.

Maybe log onto the Vueling website & log in to see your flight status. The emails might indeed be random.

48 minutes ago, Karl_Mcr said:

The other leg of my flights is Ryanair, but that flight has not been cancelled yet (currently available for £25 !) 

Ryanair will do everything they can to hold onto the money, legal or otherwise. I'm going to practice jumping through hoops now for whenever I need to contact them. Vueling Refund was an easy 2 clicks & done through the website.

Maybe log onto the Vueling website & log in to see your flight status. The emails might indeed be random.

Well, my flight should be on June 3rd and it says it’s still live... as yet no emails and no response on Twitter. 

very random!

49 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

I totally understands the frustration for the music industry in Spain. Here in Norway is events with over 500 attendees banned until September, and we have pretty good control on the virus at the moment. 

Am I right in presuming that this means any decision by Primavera is delayed indefinitely because the government is unwilling to "declare" force majeure for now?

Also, am I right that - in hindsight of course - it was a huge mistake to postpone PS2020 to August and not cancel it (nobody seriously assumes that the August dates will actually work out, I hope)?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

Am I right in presuming that this means any decision by Primavera is delayed indefinitely because the government is unwilling to "declare" force majeure for now?

Also, am I right that - in hindsight of course - it was a huge mistake to postpone PS2020 to August and not cancel it (nobody seriously assumes that the August dates will actually work out, I hope)?

That’s how I’d interpret it yeh. 

i just assumed we were all on the same page with that too yes, that the next PS - if it survives - will be 2021. 

Not an easy situation for Primavera to be in, I guess there are a lot of ongoing running costs at this time with contracts they are not able to cancel out of the lack of force majeure, money that could have been spent on refunds, and I am sure they would have wanted to be more clear in communication with their attendees too, a clarity they can't offer in order to be able to cancel contracts out of force majeure... 

Yes, in hindsight the August date was a mistake, in the sense that the decision trigger a lot of ongoing running cost and contracts they cannot get out of with goverment offering more clarity. This was a risk they were willing to take at the decision point in hope for a PS20  in August. I was happy for that decision when was made, though the knowledge on what is realistic or not has somewhat grown on us over time. The outcome will still be the same - there will be no PS20 - however the decision will be delayed and this will be painful both for the festival and for us attendees. It is a shitty situation.

One outcome I might see Primavera taking a (legal) chance, by claiming 'a force majeure situation' despite lack of clarity from government, out of 'clearly not possible' reasoning. If their legal advisors recommend not to I hope they refrain though... I still wanna go to the festival in the future. But I guess that it something they still consider.

I also guess they are looking at some form of communication to address the situation, 'saying something without promising anything', in a way that public still might find comforting - if that is possible.

There's also the aspect of saying something without prejudicing any issues with their insurers. That's something they really have to be watertight about, and their best option is probably to say nothing until they have to.

I doubt Primavera will say anything before Mad Cool does, their deadline is earlier.

29 minutes ago, daveje said:

I doubt Primavera will say anything before Mad Cool does, their deadline is earlier.

I think this is the only thing postponing to August gave them- instead of being the first Spanish festival to jump to the water, they are the last.

They earned time, in which the government can decide something, things might change, and they can learn from the experience of others.

worse case - all they did was do delay the cancellation (and refunds) by a few months.

For an organisation that struggles for money, a few months delay in refunds is a lot

so not sure it was such a bad decision for them

2 hours ago, puckno said:

I guess there are a lot of ongoing running costs at this time with contracts they are not able to cancel out of the lack of force majeure

I wonder. Who in their right mind has a contract with Primavera that he insists on being paid as if everything would go ahead as planned - all but knowing that PS won´t happen in August so the contractual obligations won´t be fulfilled anyway? Vendors, security, stage builders? Can´t imagine. Bands/musicians? No. Whoever rents out the Forum/Apolo etc.? Don´t think so. PR people? Maybe. Legal, okay, obviously because they are working now. The actual Primavera staff will get their wages, too. So, I think the biggest part of the money projected to be spent won´t have to be spent. I think.

31 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

I wonder. Who in their right mind has a contract with Primavera that he insists on being paid as if everything would go ahead as planned - all but knowing that PS won´t happen in August so the contractual obligations won´t be fulfilled anyway? Vendors, security, stage builders? Can´t imagine. Bands/musicians? No. Whoever rents out the Forum/Apolo etc.? Don´t think so. PR people? Maybe. Legal, okay, obviously because they are working now. The actual Primavera staff will get their wages, too. So, I think the biggest part of the money projected to be spent won´t have to be spent. I think.

Bands/musicians also. They've already been paid, as I understand it.

Really? Somebody here wrote half would be paid 1 month in advance, the other half after the show. I don´t know at all. But I would assume that the bands won´t get to keep money for a performance they don´t actually make. Frank Ocean? Migos? Cardi B? Money for nothing, indeed.

Would be interesting to see those contracts in terms of what happens if the performance is cancelled.

Just now, Chilly Toad said:

Really? Somebody here wrote half would be paid 1 month in advance, the other half after the show. I don´t know at all. But I would assume that the bands won´t get to keep money for a performance they don´t actually make. Frank Ocean? Migos? Cardi B? Money for nothing, indeed.

Would be interesting to see those contracts in terms of what happens if the performance is cancelled.

Some funding has already been paid to the bands. And of course there is a clause to recoup the money if the band do not perform.

If the performance is cancelled can claim on the insurance but only if the govt announces that this is an 'act of god' (force majeure) which is what they are all waiting for.

1 hour ago, Chilly Toad said:

o, I think the biggest part of the money projected to be spent won´t have to be spent. I think.

In my country, Norway, the festivals organised to put pressure on the government in order to get a clarification on the force majeure situation, leading to a ban for all festivals until September (for a start). One of their main arguments in this campaign was the contractual obligations on work ramped up in the months prior to the festivals. In order to shut down those costs and survive as a festival they had to be able to release the force majeure terms in respective contracts and avoid those costs to happen. I am not a festival economics expert though, just referring to what was being argued. Regarding ´who in their right mind has a contract with Primavera that he insists on being paid´, well most would probably have a sound approach, but it is the risk of being sued by multiple of contractual partners Primavera has to safeguard against. The most important cost though would be contracted artist payments, of course.