Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

This discussion is getting a little out of hand, I think. I don´care about interest rates, nobody´s going to starve because he/she has to wait for the refund, Primavera, the organization and the people involved are not going to starve, either (especially if it´s true that the pay people less than 3 € per hour for working during the festival - that is more than disgusting, right, xxialac?). Bands should boycott the festival? Ridiculous!

The only thing I wonder is: what´s so hard to simply say "if, if, IF the festival has to be cancelled or you cannot make it in August, the tickets will be valid next year or refunded"? Legally, that would be absolutely no problem. And it would be nice for the customers. So it is allowed to wonder what´s stopping them.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

The only thing I wonder is: what´s so hard to simply say "if, if, IF the festival has to be cancelled or you cannot make it in August, the tickets will be valid next year or refunded"? Legally, that would be absolutely no problem. And it would be nice for the customers. So it is allowed to wonder what´s stopping them.

Could be legal, could be insurance, could be regulations, could be any number of things we don't know enough about.

But could just be the money. It's not just sitting in a Primavera bank account until the festival, money has to be out there doing stuff. Might have gone to organisations that will be very hard to get it back from if the festival doesn't happen, or economy nosedives further. Sponsorship money is also the sort of thing that takes its time to come in.

However, there's a non-zero probability that the festival doesn't take place next year either, and I'm personally wondering what I'll do if I'm offered a refund or a rollover. If enough people ask for a refund they might not be able to cover it. Cash flow kills businesses.

I reckon they'll do what you suggest, to be fair. But if might be hard to work out how to pitch it to people to prevent everyone just taking the refund.

3 hours ago, daveje said:

Could be legal, could be insurance, could be regulations, could be any number of things we don't know enough about.

But could just be the money. It's not just sitting in a Primavera bank account until the festival, money has to be out there doing stuff. Might have gone to organisations that will be very hard to get it back from if the festival doesn't happen, or economy nosedives further. Sponsorship money is also the sort of thing that takes its time to come in.

However, there's a non-zero probability that the festival doesn't take place next year either, and I'm personally wondering what I'll do if I'm offered a refund or a rollover. If enough people ask for a refund they might not be able to cover it. Cash flow kills businesses.

I reckon they'll do what you suggest, to be fair. But if might be hard to work out how to pitch it to people to prevent everyone just taking the refund.

If you can't make the new dates, you can have a refund, or roll your tickets over till nevt year. Seems pretty simple to me. 

17 hours ago, xxialac said:

There are a lot of falsehoods in your message.

- If the festival acts out of line I will be as vocal as anyone else about it. But they're not, so I'm not. I'm replaying the same line over and again, which is that people need to cut the organisers some slack, faced with what must be a monumental logistics nightmare for them. And one that has happened through no fault of their own.

- You don't understand economics. The current bank rate here is a pitiful 0.1%, similar in Europe. And that's the favourable rate that central banks are getting, not what bank customers get. Primavera are not financially benefiting from having money in their account for a few weeks.

- I'm very sorry for all people who have lost income and even more so those who have lost their jobs. And I don't think the 200 euros is a minimal cost to people...if it was being lost, that would be a blow for many and I'd sympathise. But it's not. People are getting their money back.

- I don't believe so many people are needing for cashflow reasons the return of 200 euros right now, as you so melodramatically put it, to 'put food on the table'. People who go to Primavera are by global standards doing pretty well and have ways of accessing borrowings from friends, savings, overdraft facilities, credit cards (upon which payment is suspended for 3 months at the moment), valuable possessions that can be sold in the extreme case (the poster above mentions his camera is worth 800 euros) etc etc. 

Here's some perspective:

Musicians stand to lose all their income, no way of paying the bills for god knows how long. They're self employed, they can't be furloughed.

Primavera attendees have to wait a few weeks for the full return of 200 euros.

Who are you to say that people who attend the festival don't need money for food on the table? I know many people who save up all year just to attend one festival, it's their only break in the whole year. So please, YOU may have plenty of money and not bothered if you get your money back or not, but please don't speak on behalf of others you know fuck all about, thank you. Sell possessions? Are you taking the fucking piss? I think you are. By the way, my camera was bought over a period of time from a friend. So again, fuck off with your assumptions. You seem to have an impression that just because people go to a festival,then they all must fall into a certain class of society. God forbid anyone less well off than you going to a festival, middle/upper class only please! What an idiot.

You say, people are getting their money back. Where did you see that? Just because the guardian wrote it you believe it to be true?  Do you not find it odd that they presumably said it to the guardian yet they cannot and have not said it once in any of their tweets or Instagram posts? I do and and am highly sceptical.

As for musicians losing all their income. Not ALL, some but many are actually making more now, increased merch sales etc, during this situation than they were before!

If you're not bothered about a refund, many are and even if they didn't need to 'put food on the table' that is not the point. They are entitled to a refund even if they are millionaires, doesn't matter.

Have a good day.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

For the love of god, he didn't say any of the things you're accusing him of. He quite literally denied some of them beforehand. 

It's also not very nice of you to say he can't talk about people he knows fuck all about while you deem it appropriate to speak in the name of "not all, some but many" musicians you know fuck all about. 

I would kindly advise you to read his post carefully again before throwing more tantrums regarding the things we in fact all agree on. 

Edited by clasher
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, LonesomeDrifter said:

Who are you to say that people who attend the festival don't need money for food on the table? I know many people who save up all year just to attend one festival, it's their only break in the whole year. So please, YOU may have plenty of money and not bothered if you get your money back or not, but please don't speak on behalf of others you know fuck all about, thank you. Sell possessions? Are you taking the fucking piss? I think you are. By the way, my camera was bought over a period of time from a friend. So again, fuck off with your assumptions. You seem to have an impression that just because people go to a festival,then they all must fall into a certain class of society. God forbid anyone less well off than you going to a festival, middle/upper class only please! What an idiot.

You say, people are getting their money back. Where did you see that? Just because the guardian wrote it you believe it to be true?  Do you not find it odd that they presumably said it to the guardian yet they cannot and have not said it once in any of their tweets or Instagram posts? I do and and am highly sceptical.

As for musicians losing all their income. Not ALL, some but many are actually making more now, increased merch sales etc, during this situation than they were before!

If you're not bothered about a refund, many are and even if they didn't need to 'put food on the table' that is not the point. They are entitled to a refund even if they are millionaires, doesn't matter.

Have a good day.

Good post

14 minutes ago, Growlkass said:

Yeah there seems to be misplaced confidence that Primavera will absolutely be offering refunds and anyone who wants their money back just needs to be patient.

There seems to be a misplaced conception that festivals starts talking about and promising refunds before a governmental ban is in place. 

• Downvote 1

The only reason i said i think they’ll make it difficult to get a refund is ive had the same happen to me with a uk festival in the last few weeks. The email from ticketweb was simply, the dates are now x in 2021. No further info. The announcement on facebook did not use the word refund or even hint that you could get one.

so in order to get one you’d have to contact ticketweb customer service and wait (presumably ages) for a response. Underhand but i could imagine primavera doing the same. Loads of airlines are doing the same (ie cant get a refund cos you cant get hold of anyone) Companies need to keep your money.

airbnb make you go through the rigmarole of uploading a screenshot from gov.uk to qualify for a refund... you get one its just extra legwork and they offer you credit first and make it look like you may not be approved your refund.

Edited by Memory Man
  • Upvote 3

All mass gatherings in Ireland over 5000 have been banned until 31st August, at least.

Electric Picnic (70k capacity) is due to take place the first week of September (still most of the lineup to be announced), and Primavera might have been able to share some acts, given that it would likely have been one of the few festivals still occurring, but I'd imagine it will also be cancelled.

I decided that I will make a private “Primavera Sound 2020 at Home” June 4th-7th. There’ll be 2 floors (the main one is open air of course!) with the music coming from recorded live sets (if available) or curated playlists, an all night Gyoza/Tapas food stall, bad but pricey beer/wine, and whatever my guests might smuggle in. Unfortunately, due to the lack of space/stages, I will have to cut the original lineup short but it will still make sense, the running orders are almost finished already, I’m very much looking forward to Shellac opening the Friday and Bad Bunny followed by Tyler on those Saturday headliner slots. Sunday brunch is the only major line-up change: there’ll be a 8h set from either 2manydjs or Kruder&Dorfmeister (which would be a nice nod to our home city that is Vienna). I’m fine with both, so it will be decided by the guests’ vote. Max. capacity is 20 people, hopefully I get lasers for the light show.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, brosch said:

I decided that I will make a private “Primavera Sound 2020 at Home” June 4th-7th. There’ll be 2 floors (the main one is open air of course!) with the music coming from recorded live sets (if available) or curated playlists, an all night Gyoza/Tapas food stall, bad but pricey beer/wine, and whatever my guests might smuggle in. Unfortunately, due to the lack of space/stages, I will have to cut the original lineup short but it will still make sense, the running orders are almost finished already, I’m very much looking forward to Shellac opening the Friday and Bad Bunny followed by Tyler on those Saturday headliner slots. Sunday brunch is the only major line-up change: there’ll be a 8h set from either 2manydjs or Kruder&Dorfmeister (which would be a nice nod to our home city that is Vienna). I’m fine with both, so it will be decided by the guests’ vote. Max. capacity is 20 people, hopefully I get lasers for the light show.

Is frank ocean playing?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, brosch said:

Shellac, too many dj's... sounds like a regular primavera line up to me 😀

8 hours ago, brosch said:

How much are tickets?