Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

City of Barcelona should just stop this once and for all - like the country of Denmark to forbid all mass gatherings for the rest of the year. We more or less know this will happen anyway. A clear decision would save everybody for the mess of waiting and speculating, and it gives more time for festivals etc to plan accordingly and save further spending in the months to come. 

Edited by puckno
  • Downvote 1

Primavera is waiting cause this is such a bad bad moment for them, i mean it is for everyone, but specially for Prima, they went hard this year, started an LA edition, went to bed with Live Nation for that, invested shitloads in all 3 editions etc...and now boom, all starts falling down. Thats why they are one of the rare ones to try their luck with postponement, even though that seemed extremely stupid to start with, no chance for mass gatherings in August...we'll see, but I guess they are in a bad position now, loosing tons of money, if they do zero events this whole year.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

If they can deal with the logistical challenge of confirming new dates and moving an entire festival they should also have worked out the logistical challenge around refunding people before expecting people to rebook flights and hotels – which was the subtext of them announcing the new dates – for a festival that they might not even be able to hold anyway. It comes across as corporate arrogance, and tone deaf in the current climate when most people are panicked about money.

I know you're the forum's resident Primavera apologist but you really need to take a step back sometimes and recognise that the festival is a huge business and sometimes businesses have their own interests at heart, even if it's one that books your favourite bands. I know this is a unique situation but the general way they've handled this is poor.

I'm sorry - but if anyone has booked a flight or a non refundable hotel now for August - that's on him, you can read the news and see that it's risky. they are doing what they can with the reschedule, and keep in mind that a big part of the crowd lives in Spain, so don't need to care about flights.

For Roskilde it was simple - the government shut them down, and since as far as I know camping is not an option in Denmark later than August (weather-wise), they can't postpone. 

I think the holdback with the refund is for that reason - they want the government to shut them down first. I still believe we'll be refunded, I'm not saying it because I love the festival and think they are great people with great musical taste, I'm saying it because this is the correct business decision for a festival that can effort it and thinks for the future and not only on this year. many of us will prefer to defer the ticket to next year anyway, so the loss will not be that huge

• Like 2

12 hours ago, xxialac said:

Brockhampton have moved their tour back by a year (yes, a year).

Bad news - out this year 

Good news - perfect gap in their tour to play Primavera on May 27, 2021.

Surely 3/4/5 June are the more likely dates for PS2021? Brockhampton tour UK in May and then Paris on Wed June 2, which is the last date currently published.

6 minutes ago, Hip Priest said:

Surely 3/4/5 June are the more likely dates for PS2021? Brockhampton tour UK in May and then Paris on Wed June 2, which is the last date currently published.

Yeah, might well be right.

Was basing it on normal primavera timing of clashing with the champions league final (not this year). Next year that is on May 29.

Roskilde: "However, the risk of getting infected with the COVID-19 virus is too large when many people are gathered, and that consideration is by far the most important."

Primavera: "we will celebrate our 20th anniversary together ... Primavera in summer, for once in a lifetime ..."

Roskilde: "If you have bought a ticket for the festival in 2020, you will be able to transfer it to Roskilde Festival 2021. Should you not wish to transfer your ticket can be reimbursed."

Primavera: "We will soon give alternatives for those who cannot make it to the new date."

Proper evaluation of the situation: health and lives matter most.

Improper evaluation of the situation: we want to celebrate.

Clear information for the customers.

Stalling.

How to do it.

How not to do it.

This may be a little (but not much) exaggerated. But Primavera, in my opinion, even now haven´t understood what´s happening.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Chilly Toad said:

Roskilde: "However, the risk of getting infected with the COVID-19 virus is too large when many people are gathered, and that consideration is by far the most important."

Primavera: "we will celebrate our 20th anniversary together ... Primavera in summer, for once in a lifetime ..."

Roskilde: "If you have bought a ticket for the festival in 2020, you will be able to transfer it to Roskilde Festival 2021. Should you not wish to transfer your ticket can be reimbursed."

Primavera: "We will soon give alternatives for those who cannot make it to the new date."

Stalling.

How to do it.

How not to do it.

This may be a little (but not much) exaggerated. But Primavera, in my opinion, even now haven´t understood what´s happening.

i think they have, but they have too much at stake and can't afford it right now. i interpret it this way

The idea that any decision as to whether to go ahead with a major event is a moral one is seriously misguided.

We are in the grip of a global pandemic that is causing unprecedented enormous damage to economies everywhere.

No festival will now get to decide whether it is safe. The government will decide.

13 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

Stalling.

How to do it.

How not to do it.

Danish government: No festivals this summer

Spanish government: we don't know yet

you forgot this important difference.

Aside from that - I agree, it takes too long for Primavera (and the Spanish government) to understand there's not going to be any festival this summer

or they are just waiting for the government to shut them down (and the Spanish government really have more urgent issues to deal with now than deciding about August)

• Upvote 3

Oh, please!

If the Spanish government made the completely misguided decision to allow mass gatherings including festivals in late August, does that make it an intelligent decision to actually do the festival? For every thinking and even only remotely responsible person, it must be clear by now that Primavera isn´t happening because it would again endanger thousands of people (aka the valued and cherished customers of the festival). You know it. They know it. Why not say it and be transparent in the process of trying to find a solution everybody can live with? I cannot see a reason. And since this has been going on for a while now, my willingness to give them credit is diminishing rapidly - and I would surely consider myself a supporter of the festival.

By the way, I have to admit things can be handled even worse - greetings to Marek Lieberberg and Rock am Ring / Rock im Park. Trainwreck.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

The idea that any decision as to whether to go ahead with a major event is a moral one is seriously misguided.

We are in the grip of a global pandemic that is causing unprecedented enormous damage to economies everywhere.

No festival will now get to decide whether it is safe. The government will decide.

Actually, I don´t quite understand what you are saying here. Go ahead with the festival for economical reasons even if it´s unsafe? Because the government doesn´t forbid you to do it? Economics > Sanity? Really?

17 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

Oh, please!

If the Spanish government made the completely misguided decision to allow mass gatherings including festivals in late August, does that make it an intelligent decision to actually do the festival? For every thinking and even only remotely responsible person, it must be clear by now that Primavera isn´t happening because it would again endanger thousands of people (aka the valued and cherished customers of the festival). You know it. They know it. Why not say it and be transparent in the process of trying to find a solution everybody can live with? I cannot see a reason. And since this has been going on for a while now, my willingness to give them credit is diminishing rapidly - and I would surely consider myself a supporter of the festival.

By the way, I have to admit things can be handled even worse - greetings to Marek Lieberberg and Rock am Ring / Rock im Park. Trainwreck.

What do you mean happens with RaR and RiP? 

The very basic point is this:

Governments have proven beyond any doubt that they are willing to take the most dramatic measures to prevent the spread of the virus. In no circumstances are they taking any chances on this at this point. If they sanction a festival to go ahead, it's because they are confident that it doesn't jeopardise the heath of the nation.

As governments (the Spanish government included) will be more risk-averse than business owners, business owners don't have to make moral decisions about what is and what isn't safe. 

1 hour ago, Chilly Toad said:

Oh, please!

I might be mistaken but my understanding is that we will be sure to be taking some level of risk until we have a vaccine in operation. 

And a vaccine is highly unlikely to be both found and mass-produced until after May 2021.

So along these lines of thinking, yes it's endangering lives to have it in August but also would be to have it in 2021.

1 hour ago, Chilly Toad said:

You know it. They know it. Why not say it and be transparent in the process of trying to find a solution everybody can live with? I cannot see a reason.

At this point it is all about the force majeure. Festivals need government to forbid mass events in order to have security against legal contractual claims. In my country festivals even organise in order to put pressure on government for them to forbid well in advance, to make sure they have the force majeure in place before they exit.

That being said they should by now have communicated arrangements for those not able to or willing to travel to the August event. As we understand such communication is in the pipeline though.

Edited by puckno
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, xxialac said:

Roskilde has been cancelled not postponed and is a camping festival. It's not really equivalent

The only real comparisons are with other Spanish Festivals. I know they have a few weeks on the original PS dates, but Mad Cool & BBK seem to have their heads in the sand about it. Nothing on their news page & Twitter barely mentions it currently going on.

5 hours ago, xxialac said:

https://www.chollometro.com/ofertas/primavera-sound-reliveprimavera-319926

Some absolute gems in amongst these. Still well up a bit thinking about that magical Jane Birkin concert.

Man, when that thunder-like crash came out the PA and she looked up to the sky and laughed, like it was Serge - tears!

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, riseupandkill said:

wow, 40 euros drinks credit, a nice touch

That's what I had forecast Primavera will do (if it goes ahead) to make up for the inevitably inferior bill or to sweeten the pill.

Don't think the messaging is quite right though. Travel in September should be possible (after all there are flights landing today and that's at the peak of the pandemic!) but possibility of crowds remains a big hmm.

Edited by xxialac