Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

6 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Did you hear Spanish 1st minister yesterday speech? I wouldn’t be so optimistic...

I didn't. I'm not too optimistic on the situation in general. I was more being concerned about the UK. I'm quite impressed by the Spanish response.

Did the minister say anything had got worse or anything about mass gatherings in the future? Because the numbers, as awful as they, seem as relatively good as can have been hoped for in the recent fortnight and represent a turning of the corner.

9 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Didn't hear the Spanish first minister either, but the UK response has been utterly shambolic, one of the worst in Europe, after Italy, although Italy were slow as fuck when they got hit hard, whereas the UK were slow as shit with advance warning, before anything took hold.

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Tuesday that coronavirus would not stop him greeting people with a handshake, adding that he had shaken the hands of everyone at a hospital where infected patients were being treated."

So weird to think this was barely a month ago. He almost looked proud of himself 😧

11 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

"Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Tuesday that coronavirus would not stop him greeting people with a handshake, adding that he had shaken the hands of everyone at a hospital where infected patients were being treated."

So weird to think this was barely a month ago. He almost looked proud of himself 😧

He had been fully briefed at that point that this was a contagious disease that was likely to infect millions in the UK.

And yet his choice was to boast of shaking hands with coronavirus patients, not observe the social distancing rules when he made the lockdown announcement, make a 'joke' about Operation Last Gasp (a joke about people dying and unable to breathe?), use the phrase 'take it on the chin' in relation to a fatal disease, not criticise his father for saying go to the pub after the lockdown....

Whilst I don't wish him harm, his recklessness doesn't look too clever now.

His poor leadership will have cost actual lives, while he is likely to make a full recovery.

Edited by xxialac

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

He had been fully briefed at that point that this was a contagious disease that was likely to infect millions in the UK.

And yet his choice was to boast of shaking hands with coronavirus patients, not observe the social distancing rules when he made the lockdown announcement, make a 'joke' about Operating Last Gasp (a joke about people dying and unable to breathe?), use the phrase 'take it on the chin' in relation to a fatal disease, not criticise his father for saying go to the pub after the lockdown....

Whilst I don't wish him harm, his recklessness doesn't look too clever now.

His poor leadership will have cost actual lives, while he is likely to make a full recovery.

He's a fucking idiot. That said I hope he recovers. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, DDave said:

So Porto moved to the 3-5 September (the dates I wish Barcelona would have been moved to.!)

Much more likely to go ahead given the much lower cases in Portugal, but does one go ahead without the other? 

I would assume definitely no.  Either Europe is generally allowing international travel and bands have decided is is safe for them and their crew or bands simply won't tour.

As has been said on here, the last thing that will be lifted in all this is mass gatherings. 

Definitely mass gatherings won't be allowed in August AND all through the winter.

My last - probably overoptimistic - hope is that this strictest level of ban is lifted for the start of the sports season in August on the understanding that it will be put back in place again when hospital admissions rise again above a number. It's possible they will go for this turn-on/turn-off approach.

• Upvote 1

Someone on the O/S has suggested someone like Pulp might reform for this to make up for the inevitable loss of big American bands.

Makes perfect sense. He’s a friend of the festival. They already know the songs inside out. Would give ticket sales the boost they will need. 

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Someone on the O/S has suggested someone like Pulp might reform for this to make up for the inevitable loss of big American bands.

Makes perfect sense. He’s a friend of the festival. They already know the songs inside out. Would give ticket sales the boost they will need. 

I'd be pretty surprised if Pulp reformed considering Jarvis is just now ramping up his new project with an album and tour, especially for a last minute replacement for American acts having to pull out. IF all the American acts pull out, I think we're far more likely to just end up with a severely lacklustre lineup with smaller acts filling in for headliners etc rather than them pulling something incredible out of the bag, or, y'know, the festival just doesn't happen...

Edited by FloorFiller

22 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I'd be pretty surprised if Pulp reformed considering Jarvis is just now ramping up his new project with an album and tour, especially for a last minute replacement for American acts having to pull out. IF all the American acts pull out, I think we're far more likely to just end up with a severely lacklustre lineup with smaller acts filling in for headliners etc rather than them pulling something incredible out of the bag, or, y'know, the festival just doesn't happen...

Yeah, that's very true, hadn't considered that.

My prediction is - IF it goes ahead - that we have a lacklustre lineup as you say (albeit smaller bands aren't necessarily worse) packed with European acts BUT that they find someone new to replace The Strokes/LDR/The National/Tyler who is a big draw and can help them promote it. Pulp, PJ Harvey, MBV etc.

Also surely they will be beating a path to Thom Yorke's door.

Edited by xxialac

52 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yeah, that's very true, hadn't considered that.

My prediction is - IF it goes ahead - that we have a lacklustre lineup as you say (albeit smaller bands aren't necessarily worse) packed with European acts BUT that they find someone new to replace The Strokes/LDR/The National/Tyler who is a big draw and can help them promote it. Pulp, PJ Harvey, MBV etc.

Also surely they will be beating a path to Thom Yorke's door.

I’ll be there if it happens - literally would go to the opening of an envelope at the moment 

Edited by Ohjesus
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DDave said:

So Porto moved to the 3-5 September (the dates I wish Barcelona would have been moved to.!)

Much more likely to go ahead given the much lower cases in Portugal, but does one go ahead without the other? 

Portugal's current status is one that allows cautious optimism. I'm quite surprised as to how things are right now. I've no basis other than speculation to compare two different countries like Portugal and Spain, but it seems that less chaotic times aren't that distant from us (speaking as a portuguese here)

EDIT: as for the festival itself - I just want to see Pavement at this point, tbh.

Edited by young_contra

"The Austrian Chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, has said the country is planning to let smaller shops reopen next week, with the aim of reopening all shops and malls from 1 May. From then onwards, hotels and restaurants will open step-by-step from mid-May at the earliest"

Earlier than expected and a fragment of hope?

11 hours ago, xxialac said:

Brockhampton have moved their tour back by a year (yes, a year).

Bad news - out this year 

Good news - perfect gap in their tour to play Primavera on May 27, 2021.

That's unfortunate...I wonder if they are replacing them with Run The Jewels. Moreover, could they aim at getting RATM? The latter don't really fit imo but both free on the 27th

32 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

That's unfortunate...I wonder if they are replacing them with Run The Jewels. Moreover, could they aim at getting RATM? The latter don't really fit imo but both free on the 27th

If they’ve got any common sense, they will be looking to European bands for all replacements.

14 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Straight away, I might add.

This is how to make a statement about it. Pitch perfect, no messing around, honest about the financial implications of it and what punters can do with their tickets. Makes Primavera's approach to it look ridiculous.

Roskilde has been cancelled not postponed and is a camping festival. It's not really equivalent.

Primavera had the opportunity to try to reschedule in a way Roskilde obviously didn't.

I'm sure Primavera will announce its decision once they are in a better position to more profoundly understand the likelihood of a) August being allowed to go ahead by the authorities and b) whether they can attract enough bands to come over.

The logistical challenge is enormous.

It's still 2 months before the original festival dates. I don't think it's unreasonable to give them a little more breathing space. I'm sure refunds, if offered, will be paid before the festival starts and without the need to spend dozens of hours on hold to a hotline (compare and contrast with the aviation industry).

Edited by xxialac

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Roskilde has been cancelled not postponed and is a camping festival. It's not really equivalent.

Primavera had the opportunity to try to reschedule in a way Roskilde obviously didn't.

I'm sure Primavera will announce its decision once they are in a better position to understand the likelihood of a) August being allowed to go ahead by the authorities and b) whether they can attract enough bands to come over.

The logistical challenge is enormous.

It's still 2 months before the original festival dates. I don't think it's unreasonable to give them a little more breathing space. I'm sure refunds, if offered, will be paid before the festival starts and without the need to spend dozens of hours on hold to a hotline (compare and contrast with the aviation industry).

If they can deal with the logistical challenge of confirming new dates and moving an entire festival they should also have worked out the logistical challenge around refunding people before expecting people to rebook flights and hotels – which was the subtext of them announcing the new dates – for a festival that they might not even be able to hold anyway. It comes across as corporate arrogance, and tone deaf in the current climate when most people are panicked about money.

I know you're the forum's resident Primavera apologist but you really need to take a step back sometimes and recognise that the festival is a huge business and sometimes businesses have their own interests at heart, even if it's one that books your favourite bands. I know this is a unique situation but the general way they've handled this is poor.

Edited by jannybruck
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

If they can deal with the logistical challenge of confirming new dates and moving an entire festival they should also have worked out the logistical challenge around refunding people before expecting people to rebook flights and hotels – which was the subtext of them announcing the new dates – for a festival that they might not even be able to hold anyway. It comes across as corporate arrogance, and tone deaf in the current climate when most people are panicked about money.

I know you're the forum's resident Primavera apologist but you really need to take a step back sometimes and recognise that the festival is a huge business and sometimes businesses have their own interests at heart, even if it's one that books your favourite bands. I know this is a unique situation but the general way they've handled this is poor.

I respect your view.