Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

3 minutes ago, thespiral said:

Today in the UK one of the chief medical advisors at the daily briefings outlined a 6 month plan going forward ....2 to 3 months of fairly hard lockdown(s) , followed by further months of slowly lifting social distancing but always chance of further measures at any time. 

I see no way a major festival could happen in the UK in August if that plays out.

So in Spain ...... ???????????

Yes...if that plays out.

I saw the same conference and she didn't have a 6 month plan however for social distancing. If she had anything it was a 3-6 month plan.

Her exact words when clarifying however were "about 3-6 months" with "lots of uncertainty" and "could be longer".

The festival is in 5 months.

OK OK i am gonna be the first one to say it; but i am not so sure that the festival in June 2021 can go on either :)

Pretty much everyone agrees this will not disappear before vaccine is available. Which will be 18 months from now, earliest. Until then, most of governments agree that we will live a strange life, 2 months lockdown, then to boost economy a bit - they will allow for 2-3 weeks outside, bars restaurants opened, then numbers rise up again, then a smaller lockdown again, and so in circles. And now pretty much everywhere I read, everyone expects a second wave in the fall / winter....from November onwards, even if summer brings us smaller numbers. And in this whole period, I cant see a governments that will say; yeah its cool to have 90,000 people in one place and start this shit all over again.

What a shitty nightmare.....

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Ha, I actually think you are right, your beer will be safe and 2021 will be the next one.  That doesn't mean there isn't a chance of this year though.

For one I think there will be huge pressure to start La Liga on around 17 August and with crowds as normal. Football is life in Spain and maybe by then the mortality numbers are in single digits and there is good tech in place to monitor tests that have done. And if a game at the Nou Camp can go ahead, then why not a lower capacity festival ten days later. It's possible that they will do this on the understanding, that they will halt these events if numbers start rising again. Given the long gestation period of the illness, if that happens it will be in any case after Primavera finishes. 

Italy has just had three days in a row of a decreasing mortality toll and Spain is close behind. So the turnaround point from the peak in Spain looks imminent and we are still in March.

I’m with you @xxialac. There is a chance, albeit a slim one. But when the TV networks start to apply pressure, football games can and will be played behind closed doors. La Liga could well kick off with no crowds so I wouldn’t think that’s a factor here. If we’re looking at China’s curve, I think imported cases could be the biggest concern by the time we get to August.
On the organization of the fest itself, you seem well informed - do you reckon they’ve got assurances from artists or have they done a Geldof and booked it, hoping for the best?!

8 minutes ago, Dubkeith said:

I’m with you @xxialac. There is a chance, albeit a slim one. But when the TV networks start to apply pressure, football games can and will be played behind closed doors. La Liga could well kick off with no crowds so I wouldn’t think that’s a factor here. If we’re looking at China’s curve, I think imported cases could be the biggest concern by the time we get to August.
On the organization of the fest itself, you seem well informed - do you reckon they’ve got assurances from artists or have they done a Geldof and booked it, hoping for the best?!

I'm just speculating and definitely don't know much.

Perhaps the fear of imported cases will mean restrictions from countries only that have high incidence (as we have seen recently)?

You're right about the TV networks. The one thing I'd say about televised football behind closed doors though is it is absolute garbage! Sucks all the atmosphere out of the game. VAR is paradise in comparison. I guess they'll try and put in fake crowd sounds but the audience numbers will still be down. Plus the real fans go to the game and it brings in a lot of business revenue to the community. Think there will be pressure to get back to normal for football and other big events like it if at all possible...

15 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm just speculating and definitely don't know much.

Perhaps the fear of imported cases will mean restrictions from countries only that have high incidence (as we have seen recently)?

You're right about the TV networks. The one thing I'd say about televised football behind closed doors though is it is absolute garbage! Sucks all the atmosphere out of the game. VAR is paradise in comparison. I guess they'll try and put in fake crowd sounds but the audience numbers will still be down. Plus the real fans go to the game and it brings in a lot of business revenue to the community. Think there will be pressure to get back to normal for football and other big events like it if at all possible...

Remember that crowd mural at Highbury? Jesus wept. 

"The mural depicted thousands of supporters, but it was criticised for not including enough black people . The painting was duly amended to reflect this. It was then pointed out that some children were depicted next to adults who did not appear to be their parents. This prompted criticism from children’s charities (who thought it irresponsible to put children next to strangers) and adoption organisations (who objected that these children would not have been placed with foster parents of different races). All children were consequently painted the same colour as the nearest adult. It was then pointed out that none of the children were sitting next to women, and that women were under-represented overall. One thousand women were added, included several hundred in saris, burkas, and traditional African headgear. Four nuns were placed in the top left-hand corner, one of whom was struck in the face by a clearance from Lee Dixon in the first match. Fifty male Sikhs were also added, some with ceremonial swords, which were then removed on police advice."

Gave me a massive laugh (especially the line about the nun), thanks for reminding me..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I guess they'll try and put in fake crowd sounds but the audience numbers will still be down. Plus the real fans go to the game and it brings in a lot of business revenue to the community. Think there will be pressure to get back to normal for football and other big events like it if at all possible...

Working in this business, they will surely add some „atmosphere“ to the audio, but assure you the audience numbers will be sky high! People are starving for entertainment already. Plus it will help all and save some clubs, sponsors and tv rights holders also benefiting. I‘m 100% sure most European Leagues will start again mid or end of may. 

But regarding Primavera 20: I am not so pessimistic. Why would they try to move it to the end of the summer, if they didn‘t have a very profound prognosis that gives them a higher chance of it happening than not.

Little Simz is playing in the UK the week after so could count on her staying on the lineup. 

They can find replacement names from Rock En Seine (same weekend) and Paredes de Coura (week before) as well as Green Man/EOTR (either side). Alao from a festival in Italy the same weekend which has these bands: GRACE JONES - DAUGHTER - NICOLAS GODIN (AIR) - ANGEL OLSEN - KOFFEE - DIIV.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Little Simz is playing in the UK the week after so could count on her staying on the lineup. 

They can find replacement names from Rock En Seine (same weekend) and Paredes de Coura (week before) as well as Green Man/EOTR (either side). Alao from a festival in Italy the same weekend which has these bands: GRACE JONES - DAUGHTER - NICOLAS GODIN (AIR) - ANGEL OLSEN - KOFFEE - DIIV.

Do you think that the artists doing also porto are more likely to be kept, since they have at least 2 dates? 
I hope that also Orange Warsaw is postponed (Brockhampton, Young thug, Tyler) 

Edited by whos3000

1 hour ago, whos3000 said:

Do you think that the artists doing also porto are more likely to be kept, since they have at least 2 dates? 
I hope that also Orange Warsaw is postponed (Brockhampton, Young thug, Tyler) 

Pure speculation but I think Porto is going to be cancelled. A big nearby festival (Paredes de Coura) is on 19 August. Porto is a big city but is there enough demand for two indie festivals in such a short space of time (especially with unemployment being sky high for young people)?

One thing that they could do to make up for the inevitable loss of American names like Lana, The National and (probably) Tyler, is to potentially merge with Sonar - just an idea, but it would definitely fill up the programme and there is a lot of crossover with acts like The Chemical Brothers, Despacio, Princess Nokia, Arca, Max Cooper, The Black Madonna, etc. if Primavera goes ahead on this new August date.

Sonar is either going to be postponed or even cancelled, so it could be a logical step. I believe the day tickets to Sonar are near the same price as Primavera's day ticket, so it wouldn't make too much of a difference to the bottom line if they gave Sonar one or two stages.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

One thing that they could do to make up for the inevitable loss of American names like Lana, The National and (probably) Tyler, is to potentially merge with Sonar - just an idea, but it would definitely fill up the programme and there is a lot of crossover with acts like The Chemical Brothers, Despacio, Princess Nokia, Arca, Max Cooper, The Black Madonna, etc. if Primavera goes ahead on this new August date.

Sonar is either going to be postponed or even cancelled, so it could be a logical step. I believe the day tickets to Sonar are near the same price as Primavera's day ticket, so it wouldn't make too much of a difference to the bottom line if they gave Sonar one or two stages.

That's a really good idea and DJ acts are more likely to be flexible too with small entourages.

That said, I think filling the lineup out won't be the main difficulty here. A vast amount of bands will want to tour, having been held back all Summer and there are fewer festivals to play in. Primavera is in a strong position for bookings really.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Pure speculation but I think Porto is going to be cancelled. A big nearby festival (Paredes de Coura) is on 19 August. Porto is a big city but is there enough demand for two indie festivals in such a short space of time (especially with unemployment being sky high for young people)?

Called that completely wrong, Porto is going ahead apparently. Doesn't feel right to me.

Dear Customer,

Following your reservation, we inform you that, due to the exceptional situation we are right now, we have suffered a technical failure and we cannot confirm your stay at our facilities.

All of our facilities are confirmed for the organization of the Festival and we cannot accommodate more bookings.

We are very sorry for this situation and we want to communicate this to you as soon as possible so that you can carry out your corresponding actions before August.

By our side, we offer the possibility of staying at our TRYP Barcelona Airport hotel part of Melia Hotels International group, keeping the same booking conditions and with a daily transport service (times to be determined).

Please contact us if you want to confirm at the TRYP Barcelona Airport facilities.

On the other hand, we inform you that your reservation policy is flexible, that is, if you cancel now, you have no cancellation fees.

We are very sorry about the caused inconveniences and thank you for your trust in Melia Hotels International.

Guest Experience Department

1 minute ago, Guy Incognito said:

A few weeks ago I messaged Squid on Facebook asking if they knew anything about the festivsl being postponed. Yesterday they messaged me saying theyr aren't sure. Given that PS themselves have announced the changed dates, I assume this means Squid are unlikely to still be playing. 

If the Coachella model is anything to go by, the smaller acts are the most likely to be flexible and want to find a way to play. Squid are definitely touring then, guess Primavera just hasn't got round to contacting all the bands.

Also wouldn't it be booked with their booking agency not the band themselves.