Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

I'm also against the "never going to PS again" camp. I agree their communication and decisions so far weren't perfect, and the "moral" thing to do would be to offer a full refund to everybody who wishes. But I'm sure they're not trying to screw us over because of greed or to take advantage of the situation for profit. There's a very real possibility that they are fighting for their own survival, that the financial hit might be too tough for them. This is not Amazon or Google we are talking about here, Primavera is a much smaller initiative who was always a bit of a niche indie festival (Even if it undeniably grew in recent years). They're not too big to fall, and we simply don't understand the whole picture from their perspective now.

The fact that they're being hesitant about refunds definitely worries me - it's a pretty clear hint they're in financial trouble. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ohjesus said:

Not to sound ungrateful but I might not want to go if pavement aren’t playing so would like to know a little of the line up at least before making a decision. Not sure how they could do that though 

yeah, not ungrateful at all - i'm right there with you...booked the first day they offered tickets solely on Pavement.  Will probably cancel the minute they say no Pavement.  Flying from the states and how much i've lost already with the move, if Pavement doesn't show I don't go...

12 hours ago, whos3000 said:

On a more positive note, which big bands/artists will be in Europe around the new dates that weren't bookable before? Any chance for Kendrick? 

at least you didn't say Frank - i would have hit downvote in a red hot minute with that damn fire sparking up again... 

11 hours ago, Joecool90 said:

So what primavera want us to do is lose money from flights / hotels from June. Pay for flights and hotel for August in the hope it goes ahead? When that inevitably gets cancelled primavera would be finished imo.  

For us coming from outside it is indeed risky, but you have to remember that a large part of the crowd is local, and dont need flights or hotel (or at least not flights if its from other cities in Spain).

For them, there's nothing to lose if it's cancelled.

I still think they did good. The only thing im sad about is that it's August and not October. The later it is, there's a bigger chance it will actually happen

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

I still think they did good. The only thing im sad about is that it's August and not October. The later it is, there's a bigger chance it will actually happen

Not necessarily though, because some scientist’s modelling predicts the virus to ease off in the summer months when it gets warmer and then for a second wave to hit in September for the autumn months, which means that anything through September-December is also potentially vulnerable to getting cancelled.

7 hours ago, jaredean said:

at least you didn't say Frank - i would have hit downvote in a red hot minute with that damn fire sparking up again... 

I asked about Kendrick just because he was supposed to tour this summer later than Primavera... But yes he tours too early and he is probably too expensive for such an emergency situation

37 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Not necessarily though, because some scientist’s modelling predicts the virus to ease off in the summer months when it gets warmer and then for a second wave to hit in September for the autumn months, which means that anything through September-December is also potentially vulnerable to getting cancelled.

The curve in China started to flatten about a month and a half ago, reached zero new cases about two weeks ago, and they are just now starting to get back to normal, very gradually and with a lot of limitations on tourists.

Given that Spain is about two months behind, and given that the curfew in China is much better enforced than in Europe, I don't think we'll reach that point before mid June, and that's in Spain, the UK and US are even further behind.

So you have about two months to go from gradually letting people go back to work with many limitations and no tourists, to huge international festival.

Add to that - many countries empose limitations on people coming from other countries, this will not go down until it is under control on the vast majority of countries, so for many of us going to PS means spending the following two weeks in home quarantine. not sure I'll do it if this is the case.

So I'm not that optimistic about August as well. Maybe as a local event with no crowd from other countries

19 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

I asked about Kendrick just because he was supposed to tour this summer later than Primavera... But yes he tours too early and he is probably too expensive for such an emergency situation

He doesn’t tour too early.

There are no tours happening in June and almost certainly July too.

The problem is that they’d only book him if a big headliner dropped out. And big headliners are likely to drop out as they’re in the US - he’s in the US too

6 of the 8 headliners are based in the Americas. Very possible all of them will need to be replaced with Europeans.

There is a reason why they cancelled the Olympics and lots of things that would have been later than PS. There is no cure and no vaccine. Until there is one, big crowds for whatever cannot happen except exclusively for people who are immune.

So, entrance with a wristband and a lab's confirmation of immunity? Sorry, for some strange reason I just can't see it happening.

10 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

There is a reason why they cancelled the Olympics and lots of things that would have been later than PS. There is no cure and no vaccine. Until there is one, big crowds for whatever cannot happen except exclusively for people who are immune.

So, entrance with a wristband and a lab's confirmation of immunity? Sorry, for some strange reason I just can't see it happening.

The Olympics is not directly comparable. It was meant to start on 24 July, elite athletes were unable to train adequately and it required a gargantuan amount of planning in the months leading up to it in particular and the resumption of international flights by the start of July.

They are saying 18 months minimum for a vaccine rollout so along that line of reasoning, the 2021 Olympics won’t happen either nor will next year’s Primavera etc.

@JedTheHumanoid makes some good points about limitations. I’m not convinced governments will allow no flights unless those flying are then quarantined, as there will be so little demand airlines will go out of business en masse.

By end of August there should be reasonable widespread testing and can imagine a scenario where you will be only able to fly if you have a recent coronavirus test and display no symptoms at the airport. Primavera could insist on the same at the gates.

I have my flight from Argentina in June and with the change of dates I don't know what to do. 
I don't think the airline let me change my dates more than once
For August here it will be winter and maybe they won't let me enter Spain. So basically I'm screwed
Edited by juanchiarla

Just now, juanchiarla said:

I have my flight from Argentina in June and with the change of dates I don't know what to do. 
I don't think the airline let me change my dates more than once
For August here it will be winter and maybe they won't let me enter Spain. So basically I'm screwed

Would suggest:

- book fully refundable accommodation in Barcelona 

- wait for your airline to cancel the flight, make take some weeks or longer 

- get full refund

- wait and see about possibility of booking new flight. Expect not to go but it’s possible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, dabber7 said:

The Cambridge Folk Festival in the UK has cancelled this weekend because of Covid and that takes place in August.

Full refunds available.

Should also point out a few things as context.

It starts in July

The U.K. is about 3 weeks behind Spain with the outbreak .

And we don’t know whether Primavera will offer refunds in the end.

1 hour ago, Chilly Toad said:

You might see that at country borders, actually. Governments are planning for mass scale testing to document if you have been exposed (and thus most likely immune) which is a more easy test to do than to test for the virus itself. 

24 minutes ago, puckno said:

You might see that at country borders, actually. Governments are planning for mass scale testing to document if you have been exposed (and thus most likely immune) which is a more easy test to do than to test for the virus itself. 

Also Germany is already now testing 500,000 a week. 
By the Summer, surely all sorts of ways to test on a grand scale.

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

By end of August there should be reasonable widespread testing and can imagine a scenario where you will be only able to fly if you have a recent coronavirus test and display no symptoms at the airport. Primavera could insist on the same at the gates.

Appreciate your optimism. Really. But there is realism, too. Which is going to win in this case, unfortunately.

I try to look forward to Primavera 2021 and to imagine what that is going to look like. Bring on the line-up speculations!

Your message is a fair one and I respect you think there is no chance.

There are huge financial and operational consequences of rescheduling events. 

Le Mans, Venice Biennale, Art Basel, London Marathon, French Open Tennis, MIPIM, Cannes Film Festival, the Masters etc etc and a tonne of music festivals have all rescheduled to late Summer. 

Are none of the very impressive people managing these high profile events realists? Are all of them just happily throwing good money after bad?

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

We´ll see. If August works, I´ll buy you a beer. In 2021.

Ha, I actually think you are right, your beer will be safe and 2021 will be the next one.  That doesn't mean there isn't a chance of this year though.

For one I think there will be huge pressure to start La Liga on around 17 August and with crowds as normal. Football is life in Spain and maybe by then the mortality numbers are in single digits and there is good tech in place to monitor tests that have done. And if a game at the Nou Camp can go ahead, then why not a lower capacity festival ten days later. It's possible that they will do this on the understanding, that they will halt these events if numbers start rising again. Given the long gestation period of the illness, if that happens it will be in any case after Primavera finishes. 

Italy has just had three days in a row of a decreasing mortality toll and Spain is close behind. So the turnaround point from the peak in Spain looks imminent and we are still in March.

Today in the UK one of the chief medical advisors at the daily briefings outlined a 6 month plan going forward ....2 to 3 months of fairly hard lockdown(s) , followed by further months of slowly lifting social distancing but always chance of further measures at any time. 

I see no way a major festival could happen in the UK in August if that plays out.

So in Spain ...... ???????????