Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

18 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Think this is too optimistic. Gonna hold off on changing my flights until the line up is announced. Not sure I can afford the extra €110 in fees for changing the dates. 

same here. Changed my hotel as it is free and still cancelable, but I highly doubt it will happen so not touching the flight yet

not to sound like money saving supermarket or anything but I think the sensible thing with flights might be to just let the June ones get cancelled, then you get a refund, and can then (maybe) book the August ones. 

at least, that’s what I’m doing as changing them isn’t possible. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ohjesus said:

not to sound like money saving supermarket or anything but I think the sensible thing with flights might be to just let the June ones get cancelled, then you get a refund, and can then (maybe) book the August ones. 

at least, that’s what I’m doing as changing them isn’t possible. 

Exactly this.  By booking new dates you create a new problem & insurance policies probably won't cover stuff booked now like previously mentioned on here.

I know it’s totally out of their hands but this is gonna look real bad on Primavera if this falls through - a lot of people are gonna be losing a lot of money over this which they can’t afford right now. Really hope they’ve done this for the best reasons rather than just not wanting to hand out refunds.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I know it’s totally out of their hands but this is gonna look real bad on Primavera if this falls through - a lot of people are gonna be losing a lot of money over this which they can’t afford right now. Really hope they’ve done this for the best reasons rather than just not wanting to hand out refunds.

Aye. There are already a lot of people in need of a refund so I hope they announce something soon. 

5 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

As others have said, it feels very optimistic but I guess we will know more in the next few months. 

Thanks to @Ohjesusfor the tip though - changed my accommodation last week. 

No problem at all. My brother runs a uk festival and knew about a month ago so I thought I should let people know. 

Needless to say, his diary is very empty now! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In response to someone on Facebook asking about refunds they have already posted this 'We will soon give alternatives for those who cannot make it to the new date, we will share this information as soon as possible'

Edited by livenstu
Sorry, already posted elsewhere!

14 minutes ago, DDave said:

They should be offering refunds. 100%

The trouble is if they offer refunds for August and chance to re-buy later, so many people will take it up that it will guarantee that the festival can't go ahead without certainty on ticket sales.

So I think it's possible, they will 

- try to get people to transfer their ticket to new August date (maybe creating a commitment)

- then afterwards offer refunds or possibility to transfer to 2021

That way they will have a critical mass of people attending and can also better plan for the size of the event in case it has to be scaled back.

If I were them I wouldn't be booking a single band from the US. If any can come at the last minute, great, but would assume zero US bands.

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

The trouble is if they offer refunds for August and chance to re-buy later, so many people will take it up that it will guarantee that the festival can't go ahead without certainty on ticket sales.

So I think it's possible, they will 

- try to get people to transfer their ticket to new August date (maybe creating a commitment)

- then afterwards offer refunds or possibility to transfer to 2021

That way they will have a critical mass of people attending and can also better plan for the size of the event in case it has to be scaled back.

If I were them I wouldn't be booking a single band from the US. If any can come at the last minute, great, but would assume zero US bands.

Zero US bands decimates a large portion of top hitters on the lineup and would make it a shadow of its initial self. I really don’t think they could advertise the festival as still going ahead if this was the case. They must be sure (at this point) that most of the big US names are still in as it stands.

The new dates actually work really well for me. I'd booked that week off for Reading anyway. But I don't know if it's even worth booking flights and a hotel at the moment. I think it's very optimistic to be aiming for August currently.

2 minutes ago, D-Low said:

The new dates actually work really well for me. I'd booked that week off for Reading anyway. But I don't know if it's even worth booking flights and a hotel at the moment. I think it's very optimistic to be aiming for August currently.

Don't book anything for the next month or so, or if you must at least make it a refundable hotel. You can filter those on Booking.com.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Zero US bands decimates a large portion of top hitters on the lineup and would make it a shadow of its initial self. I really don’t think they could advertise the festival as still going ahead if this was the case. They must be sure (at this point) that most of the big US names are still in as it stands.

I have no doubt that the US bands would LIKE to attend. 
Whether they CAN attend is a different matter.

Transatlantic flight cancellations and visa issues and lack of ability to drive to Europe and a high cost to the band if it subsequently gets cancelled (relative to band already in Europe)...it just sounds ambitious to me.

Take all the US names out of the lineup, replace them with the best European names you can find and you can still salvage something.

We'll be gagging for something like this by end of August and some of us will be perhaps a bit more tolerant of lower overall quality.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I have no doubt that the US bands would LIKE to attend. 
Whether they CAN attend is a different matter.

Transatlantic flight cancellations and visa issues and lack of ability to drive to Europe and a high cost to the band if it subsequently gets cancelled (relative to band already in Europe)...it just sounds ambitious to me.

Take all the US names out of the lineup, replace them with the best European names you can find and you can still salvage something.

We'll be gagging for something like this by end of August and some of us will be perhaps a bit more tolerant of lower overall quality.

That’s very true actually, I’m underestimating my desperation to see ANYTHING. 

Insurance companies no longer offer pandemic and force majeure insurance, thus US bands risk to take all cost themselves in the case of festivals try to go ahead and then get cancelled one by one with force majeure claims. Things need to calm down well in advance and it might still not be enough. However, if festivals take their chance, unite and pay in advance etc it could still be possible to find ways to do it without the big risk for travelling artists. But then you will have the disadvantage of not so much money left to ticket holders if the festivals still will have to cancel and force majeure is claimed. It is not so easy but you might have possibilities.

7 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

That’s very true actually, I’m underestimating my desperation to see ANYTHING. 

My mood in:

April - I'm still happy now there's no Mordor, could feel more like the old days

May - no Auditori this year as it's indoor, bummer but inevitable 

June - confirmation that we have lost almost all the US bands, damn, but we have some great European ones at least

July - only three stages now? Damn, but was like that at Primavera Porto in the early days and still had a great time

August - only one stage, with Deerhunter alternating with Shellac all day? Where do I sign up, sounds great, just give me music and let me the hell outdoors...

Edited by xxialac
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 8

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

My mood in:

April - I'm still happy now there's no Mordor, could feel more like the old days

May - no Auditori this year as it's indoor, bummer but inevitable 

June - confirmation that we have lost almost all the US bands, damn, but we have some great European ones at least

July - only three stages now? Damn, but was like that at Primavera Porto in the early days and still had a great time

August - only one stage, with Deerhunter alternating with Shellac all day? Where do I sign up, sounds great, just give me music and let me the hell outdoors...

Sadly I’ve used all my ‘likes’ today...

• Upvote 1

They’re getting an awful lot of flack all over social media about the handling of this announcement, or more specifically how vague they’re being over refunds. Definitely in their best interests to get that announced ASAP as the Primavera name is getting dragged through the mud currently.