Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

7 minutes ago, puckno said:

True, but quite uncertain if Primavera have it too, 
“We have a lot of insurance (terrorism, injury, property destruction, weather). However, bacterial infections, communicable diseases, viruses and pandemics are not covered,”
"Insurers routinely exclude communicable disease outbreaks from the cancellation policies that are offered to promoters and artists, but the disease coverage is available for an extra cost as a buy-back — something that most bands have not bothered with, but which many major promoters do take out. Since the outbreak of the coronavirus, insurers have stopped offering the disease coverage as a buy-back option."
https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/sxsw-south-by-southwest-canceled-insurance-1203527066

Thats why quite a few festivals and promoters with high burn rate and contractual obligations will wait for governmental cancellation in order to activate their force majeure. It is understandable, as the alternative might be high losses and potentially bankruptcy. I don´t expect to get a full refund if cancellation, it is fine if they get some payment for making the effort for a full year in planning this years festival. But I do expect to get something back, and if I am offered a full refund I will be pleasantly surprised. If they have a good balance sheet though they can do it.

Interesting, tx for sharing.

If you could move your flights from june to august for no additional costs would you do it, given the fact that the festival almost certainly won't happen in june? or would you keep them for the original dates because you never know what's going to happen? 

Just asking for some advice, I won't of course blame anyone in case of making the wrong move!  

6 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

If you could move your flights from june to august for no additional costs would you do it, given the fact that the festival almost certainly won't happen in june? or would you keep them for the original dates because you never know what's going to happen? 

Just asking for some advice, I won't of course blame anyone in case of making the wrong move!  

It almost certainly won't happen in June, and I'd try to be at peace with that. Personally I'd wait for any official announcement until you move your flights.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Septiembre Sound 2020 - even has good alliteration, it's destiny...

Kids are back at school (hopefully!), weather is still good, probably better than June, flights are cheaper. What a way to end what could be a really shit summer!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ohjesus said:

If I could move my flights with no cost I’d do it in a heartbeat as they’ll cost more to move than buy new ones sadly (I’ve looked) and June’s obviously not happening 

this doesn't make sense to me to move flights at all right now...where are you moving them to???  The only thing that is almost 100% true is it isn't happening in June.  That's all.  So to try and guess when it will happen and move flights seems sorta random to me.  I understand that is the biggest pet peeve for them not announcing anything earlier, not knowing what to do with flights, accommodations, etc. but for me personally i have two options - try and cancel all of my bookings as much as possible, or wait it out until I know for sure where to move it to - that's all.  To make a decision to move it right now to some random weekend in some random month (apology to the person with the "insider" information) seems fruitless.

If there is a binary choice, between a weekend where the artist hotel rooms has been released, and the weekend late august where the artist hotel rooms are fully booked, I would choose the second option. But that is only if there is a binary choice and all other options implicates a loss. Better to wait for more information. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, puckno said:

If there is a binary choice, between a weekend where the artist hotel rooms has been released, and the weekend late august where the artist hotel rooms are fully booked, I would choose the second option. But that is only if there is a binary choice and all other options implicates a loss. Better to wait for more information. 

how do we know 100% that the "artist hotel rooms" are booked by artists - artists for PS - and not those of us in the group that got the message that "artists are booking rooms this weekend" and everyone here slammed the place with reservations? To book a refundable room at a hotel based on guessing is easy and something i did myself, but to change your flights when airlines are possibly making an exception for June, but might not be as willing if you try to move it again in August, etc., seems a bit foolish.  And a binary choice is what this is - it was asked should they change their flight now and the reply was yes, if you can you should.

Just now, jaredean said:

how do we know 100% that the "artist hotel rooms" are booked by artists - artists for PS - and not those of us in the group that got the message that "artists are booking rooms this weekend" and everyone here slammed the place with reservations? To book a refundable room at a hotel based on guessing is easy and something i did myself, but to change your flights when airlines are possibly making an exception for June, but might not be as willing if you try to move it again in August, etc., seems a bit foolish.  And a binary choice is what this is - it was asked should they change their flight now and the reply was yes, if you can you should.

Because the "artist hotel rooms" were booked with the price going up significantly *before* people started slamming the place with reservations. 

Definitely wouldn't be changing any flight but booking a fully refundable room seems a no brainer.

29 minutes ago, jaredean said:

this doesn't make sense to me to move flights at all right now...where are you moving them to???  The only thing that is almost 100% true is it isn't happening in June.  That's all.  So to try and guess when it will happen and move flights seems sorta random to me.  I understand that is the biggest pet peeve for them not announcing anything earlier, not knowing what to do with flights, accommodations, etc. but for me personally i have two options - try and cancel all of my bookings as much as possible, or wait it out until I know for sure where to move it to - that's all.  To make a decision to move it right now to some random weekend in some random month (apology to the person with the "insider" information) seems fruitless.

I’m not moving flights. I’m looking. To see how much it would cost to do so. There’s a difference.

So my investigations lead me to discover that if primavera is moved to the last weekend in August (for example) the cost of moving my flights (as in switching the dates) would be about £75 more than just buying new ones. 

so whether it happens in August or never, my initial non cancellable flights are a write off, a loss. 

1 minute ago, Ohjesus said:

I’m not moving flights. I’m looking. To see how much it would cost to do so. There’s a difference.

So my investigations lead me to discover that if primavera is moved to the last weekend in August (for example) the cost of moving my flights (as in switching the dates) would be about £75 more than just buying new ones. 

so whether it happens in August or never, my initial non cancellable flights are a write off, a loss. 

who did you book with?

1 minute ago, Ohjesus said:

My whole comment was based on the question, "If you could move your flights from june to august for no additional costs would you do it" and the answer from someone else "If I could move my flights with no cost I’d do it in a heartbeat".  One person asking a very specific question about moving flights now, and another person answering them that yes, if you can do it.  The question wasn't about booking rooms (something i did), but moving your flight RIGHT NOW to a date that is based on people here guessing, and that is all.  Some here are 100% sure that the rooms are booked by artists - great, lets say that is true, but what if it is a "soft book" like what we've done here, and if they change the date internally they will release their booking?  At this point NONE OF US is 100% certain of any date.  Shoot, i'd guess even Gabi's team isn't 100% certain yet, although probably closer to 90%.  

That is all, that is what my initial comment was based on - a very specific question and answer above and my thoughts on why it would be dumb to move until you were sure.

Just now, Ohjesus said:

queasyjet and vuelling

My understanding is that the airlines will be (extremely unlikely) to be flying then, they will then cancel the flight and once it is confirmed as cancelled, one of your options will be a refund. 

This assumes they are still in business, which is not a assumption you can make with total confidence...

1 minute ago, jaredean said:

My whole comment was based on the question, "If you could move your flights from june to august for no additional costs would you do it" and the answer from someone else "If I could move my flights with no cost I’d do it in a heartbeat".  One person asking a very specific question about moving flights now, and another person answering them that yes, if you can do it.  The question wasn't about booking rooms (something i did), but moving your flight RIGHT NOW to a date that is based on people here guessing, and that is all.  Some here are 100% sure that the rooms are booked by artists - great, lets say that is true, but what if it is a "soft book" like what we've done here, and if they change the date internally they will release their booking?  At this point NONE OF US is 100% certain of any date.  Shoot, i'd guess even Gabi's team isn't 100% certain yet, although probably closer to 90%.  

That is all, that is what my initial comment was based on - a very specific question and answer above and my thoughts on why it would be dumb to move until you were sure.

Aye, that person was me  - I might as well move, just on the off chance the August date is right. I’ve literally got nothing to lose. It’s not dumb. 

also, it’s a hypothetical question - “if you could, would you?”

yes, I flipping well would. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

My understanding is that the airlines will be (extremely unlikely) to be flying then, they will then cancel the flight and once it is confirmed as cancelled, one of your options will be a refund. 

This assumes they are still in business, which is not a assumption you can make with total confidence...

Now that would be good for me. Obviously less so for airlines and staff of course. 

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

If refund is available as an option it is by far the best option, as quite a few of the airlines will go bankrupt. Though, if the booking is payed by credit card the credit card company will refund in case of bankruptcy. Though it will save a lot of hassle to rather take the refund. A few of the low cost airlines on verge of bankruptcy offers conversion to vouchers, bonus points etc as an option. It is more unclear if you still have the credit card protection if you do that, so this option is not recommended.

1 minute ago, puckno said:

If refund is available as an option it is by far the best option, as quite a few of the airlines will go bankrupt. Though, if the booking is payed by credit card the credit card company will refund in case of bankruptcy. Though it will save a lot of hassle to rather take the refund. A few of the low cost airlines on verge of bankruptcy offers conversion to vouchers, bonus points etc as an option. It is more unclear if you still have the credit card protection if you do that, so this option is not recommended.

Good advice I reckon, thanks 

Just now, Ohjesus said:

Aye, that person was me  - I might as well move, just on the off chance the August date is right. I’ve literally got nothing to lose. It’s not dumb. 

also, it’s a hypothetical question - “if you could, would you?”

yes, I flipping well would. 

Then it goes to my original thought - say you do get to move to August because almost everyone can agree June will be a cluster.  So, you move it to August, but then the festival is officially announced for September.  Do you think you can get the airline to move to September from August as easily as you got them to move it from June to August?  So not moving until you know might work out better in the long run.  Of course all of this is mostly just guesswork, but i like the logic behind anticipating that they will be much more sympathetic to a request to move from June than one from August, especially if it is your second request for a move (June to August and then August to September).

Just now, jaredean said:

Then it goes to my original thought - say you do get to move to August because almost everyone can agree June will be a cluster.  So, you move it to August, but then the festival is officially announced for September.  Do you think you can get the airline to move to September from August as easily as you got them to move it from June to August?  So not moving until you know might work out better in the long run.  Of course all of this is mostly just guesswork, but i like the logic behind anticipating that they will be much more sympathetic to a request to move from June than one from August, especially if it is your second request for a move (June to August and then August to September).

But it literally doesn’t matter! The June flights are essentially useless. The question was “would you move them now?”

of course I would. They’re dead to me. If there was a way I could magically make them transfer to August and then the fest was on that weekend, I’m a winner. 

if the fest is any other date at all, I still have to buy new flights. 

but in light of the most recent comments, it’s better to hope for flight cancellations and refunds.