Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

8 minutes ago, duckula said:

I got a notification saying my final ticket instalment is coming out in the next 3 days. I would rather they announce something now because it's going to feel really shitty having that money come out of my account.

I know it's scant consolation pal but you will be offered a refund in full.

A festival with a great brand and now so successful it has the confidence to look to expand from 2 sites to 4 sites in one year, plus that won't have to settle its biggest costs (paying bands and contractors) will be able to refund everyone who wants one. It will be a matter of days or weeks before they announce this....but it won't be at the last minute.   

Belgian leading virologist just said that he advises against any holidays abroad this summer. I think it's either sept/oct or no PS in 2020. Gutted but I have a feeling that we're gonna have a lot of other shit to be gutted about any time soon. Meanwhile, illegal student parties are going on over here. Fucking idiots. 

13 minutes ago, duckula said:

I got a notification saying my final ticket instalment is coming out in the next 3 days. I would rather they announce something now because it's going to feel really shitty having that money come out of my account.

Agree - and I think that was one of the reasons Glastonbury gave for the timing of their cancellation announcement, to stop the next round of deposit payments going out. 

38 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I know it's scant consolation pal but you will be offered a refund in full.

Probably they will refund, but you do not know for sure. In case of force majeure they are not legally obliged. SXSW did not refund. A few festivals have not offered refund but tickets to next edition. Most do refund though, that is true.

Just now, puckno said:

Probably they will refund, but you do not know for sure. In case of force majeure they are not legally obliged. SXSW did not refund. A few festivals have not offered refund but tickets to next edition. Most do refund though, that is true.

SXSW didn't refund you are quite right. It did it under enormous duress, knowing its reputation would suffer terribly. Absolute last resort not a money grab.

There is no comparison really with Primavera.

Primavera is not a tech, film and music festival with the additional staffing needs that brings.

And SXSW cancelled so near the time they were already on the hook for massive costs unlike Primavera.

And Primavera has a strong balance sheet after running festivals successfully for 20 years.

27 minutes ago, xxialac said:

SXSW didn't refund you are quite right. It did it under enormous duress, knowing its reputation would suffer terribly. Absolute last resort not a money grab.

There is no comparison really with Primavera.

Primavera is not a tech, film and music festival with the additional staffing needs that brings.

And SXSW cancelled so near the time they were already on the hook for massive costs unlike Primavera.

And Primavera has a strong balance sheet after running festivals successfully for 20 years.

SXSW didn't have insurance that cover something like Corona. That's the main reason they didn't had any refund. They also had to lay-off a lot of people too. It's very difficult to compare SXSW with Primavera, so we just have to wait to see.

Source: https://pitchfork.com/news/sxsw-2020-cancellation-leads-to-major-layoffs/

2 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

If only Primavera was this transparent...

Really don't understand what you want them to say.
Anyone who still thinks it's going to happen in June is a bit delusional (at least in my mind, no offence..), they don't know yet if it's going to be postponed and when to, or canceled. 

I rather wait and get a clear message  than get a cancelation and later new date and later another delay and so on

The only good answer about any event in the world in the next few months is either "it's canceled' or "I don't know". from this two, I prefer "I don't know" 

5 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Anyone who still thinks it's going to happen in June is a bit delusional (at least in my mind, no offence..), they don't know yet if it's going to be postponed and when to, or canceled. 

I rather wait and get a clear message  than get a cancelation and later new date and later another delay and so on

The only good answer about any event in the world in the next few months is either "it's canceled' or "I don't know". from this two, I prefer "I don't know" 

100%. 

It's either going to be 

a) festival cancelled, you can have your money back or defer your ticket

-or-

b) festival postponed, you can have your money back or defer your ticket.

The thing they are wrestling with is the question to postpone - a tonne of festivals are - can they? When they have decided, they will let people know.

Looking like cancellation more and more. August seems just too soon, and they can hardly do 2 big fests mid September, so close to one another (Barca and LA editions). Was really looking forward to this years, amazing line up, but corona had other plans....

3 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Looking like cancellation more and more. August seems just too soon, and they can hardly do 2 big fests mid September, so close to one another (Barca and LA editions). Was really looking forward to this years, amazing line up, but corona had other plans....

I suspect they’ll go for September or October and sack off LA (hadn’t started promoting it anyway, the first edition is always the most demanding, plus LA is not their home turf)

1 hour ago, chilirocker said:

If only Primavera was this transparent...

image.thumb.png.b92630d5990fcd64d3163ab22ecd008e.png

Tbf, Primavera appear to be exploring the option of rescheduling so they're limited in what they can tell us. 

EOTR is at the end of 'festival season' so they don't really have an alternative - this enables them to be more transparent. 

Edited by TomViolence

2 hours ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

This:

1. June is not going to happen.

2. We´ll try later this year or postpone to next year but we don´t know yet what it´s going to be.

3. Either get full refund or keep tickets for next year.

4. Change your plans accordingly.

Reasonable and not so hard, I think.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

This:

2. We´ll try later this year or postpone to next year but we don´t know yet what it´s going to be.

do you really need them to say it? do you really believe June is going to happen?

Tell me when you have a new date or decide to cancel, I don't need the speculations before that

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

This:

All Points East hasn't said a thing, nor has The Great Escape, nor has Dot to Dot - and they are all a month earlier.

Spain (and the world) is facing the biggest crisis is decades. So 1. and 4. are beyond obvious.

It's possible they want to make a coordinated effort so they don't have to refund people who would rather have had the option to defer their ticket to Autumn. Hence no addressing of 3 yet. There may also be an insurance issue and without the insurance payout, the future of Primavera Sound could be put at risk.

And they have already said 2.

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

All Points East hasn't said a thing, nor has The Great Escape, nor has Dot to Dot - and they are all a month earlier.

Spain (and the world) is facing the biggest crisis is decades. So 1. and 4. are beyond obvious.

It's possible they want to make a coordinated effort so they don't have to refund people who would rather have had the option to defer their ticket to Autumn. Hence no addressing of 3 yet. There may also be an insurance issue and without the insurance payout, the future of Primavera Sound could be put at risk.

And they have already said 2.

1: I don´t have tickets for them, so I don´t care much.

2: Yes - so why not just state the obvious?

3: Okay, I would accept that of course.

4: That´s wrong, according to them the original date is not off yet.

Just let me say, overall these are minor problems, of course. Just to keep my mind off these other shitty things that happen all around us...

4 minutes ago, Chilly Toad said:

1: I don´t have tickets for them, so I don´t care much.

2: Yes - so why not just state the obvious?

3: Okay, I would accept that of course.

4: That´s wrong, according to them the original date is not off yet.

Just let me say, overall these are minor problems, of course. Just to keep my mind off these other shitty things that happen all around us...

1. Fair enough

2. Guess if they do, they will have to deal with the distraction of a tonne of people asking for refunds, who otherwise might be happy to defer their ticket to later in the year. Plus might be insurance issue.

4. They have already stated "we are studying other possibilities so that the festival can be held this year".

That last point, together what is happening in the news (unless people are living on Mars), is surely enough to realise that June is completely impossible.

Not trying to be difficult here but they are in a horrible situation here to manage. They have an enormous amount of stakeholders to juggle and a picture that is changing by the day. They will also be mindful that Spain is suffering right now and they need to show respect. 

6 hours ago, Martin_89 said:

SXSW didn't have insurance that cover something like Corona.

True, but quite uncertain if Primavera have it too, 
“We have a lot of insurance (terrorism, injury, property destruction, weather). However, bacterial infections, communicable diseases, viruses and pandemics are not covered,”
"Insurers routinely exclude communicable disease outbreaks from the cancellation policies that are offered to promoters and artists, but the disease coverage is available for an extra cost as a buy-back — something that most bands have not bothered with, but which many major promoters do take out. Since the outbreak of the coronavirus, insurers have stopped offering the disease coverage as a buy-back option."
https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/sxsw-south-by-southwest-canceled-insurance-1203527066

Thats why quite a few festivals and promoters with high burn rate and contractual obligations will wait for governmental cancellation in order to activate their force majeure. It is understandable, as the alternative might be high losses and potentially bankruptcy. I don´t expect to get a full refund if cancellation, it is fine if they get some payment for making the effort for a full year in planning this years festival. But I do expect to get something back, and if I am offered a full refund I will be pleasantly surprised. If they have a good balance sheet though they can do it.

Edited by puckno