Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

Just now, jannybruck said:

Not to piss on anyone's fire here but do keep in mind that most hotel sites set their prices dynamically and algorithmically

Yes, exactly why. One of the first things Primavera would to if they are in process of moving the festival is to soft book most of the rooms at that excact hotel, driving prices of remaining rooms through the roof.

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

Not to piss on anyone's fire here but do keep in mind that most hotel sites set their prices dynamically and algorithmically – so for example if more people are clearly searching for one weekend, then the prices will rise accordingly due to demand. They don't necessarily set the price levels themselves.

I'm not saying Prima haven't got their eyes on doing it that weekend and potentially block booked a bunch of stuff, but there's also a lot of other factors that go into hotel pricing. The fact it's a British bank holiday definitely plays into it, for instance.

That hotel is so inconvenient for tourists. I always assumed the hotels around the forum are more geared to business people. Can a Barcelona hotel really factor in a bank holiday in one other country when Brits must make up a very small percentage of tourists?

With you on the algorithms more generally.

2 minutes ago, puckno said:

Yes, exactly why. One of the first things Primavera would to if they are in process of moving the festival is to soft book most of the rooms at that excact hotel, driving prices of remaining rooms through the roof.

not to mention those of us "soft booking" and driving up prices 🤨

27 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Could of course be that they've blockbooked then in the hope they can rearrange but proves too difficult so not getting hopes up yet. 

But timing makes a lot of sense. Bands are touring already then, if it's possible, and those that aren't will be gagging to tour by then. 5 days after Paredes de Coura which Gabi is the booker for. And falls perfectly between End of the Road and Green Man, which has some fantastic undercard options.

Actually Gabi doesn't book names for Paredes de Coura, Joao Carvalho from Ritmo does. 

But think they have a close alliance and together built Primavera Sound Porto.

Does cause one problem in that Paredes de Coura (by Porto) won't want to compete with Nos Primavera Sound (Porto).

Not sure there is a way round this. Hopefully Paredes de Coura is already nearly sold out but it's awkward.

Edited by xxialac

Erm, the whole point of my message a few pages back - which to be honest I’m mildly freaking out about now after everyone is booking rooms, etc - is that the reservation by PS for that weekend related to Parc del Forum and that being free. I hadn’t even thought about hotels and whatnot - but if any weekend was advisable to ‘soft book’ a bed for it would be that, apologies if that got lost in my eagerness but if you’ve all booked safely it will be fine 

Edited by Ohjesus

2 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

Erm, the whole point of my message a few pages back - which to be honest I’m mildly freaking out about now after everyone is booking rooms, etc - is that the reservation by PS for that weekend related to Parc del Forum and that being free. I hadn’t even thought about hotels and whatnot 

It's all good and appreciate you're just trying to help. People are (surely) only reserving rooms, not booking them.

Did you not say that a UK music promoter had indicated the Forum on the last week of August had been booked by PS? Which is a great sign, if so.

Genuinely my contact is 100% reliable and one day i will happily tell you all why ( he’s in a world of pain with CV19 and his own fest at the moment, without my foreign holiday plan queries adding to his stress)

BUT

yes, it’s booked  - or soft booked, who knows. I guess we should think of it as a great hotel room we hope we’ll get to visit super near a festival we have prepaid tickets for, if you follow 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ohjesus said:

Genuinely my contact is 100% reliable and one day i will happily tell you all why ( he’s in a world of pain with CV19 and his own fest at the moment, without my foreign holiday plan queries adding to his stress)

BUT

yes, it’s booked  - or soft booked, who knows. I guess we should think of it as a great hotel room we hope we’ll get to visit super near a festival we have prepaid tickets for, if you follow 

I believe. The dream of Primavera 2020 lives on.

I don't mean to be the harbinger of bad news, but I can see the quarantines around the world lasting for at least 6 months - many governments are gearing up for that timeframe. I reckon the whole summer of events will be cancelled. I've heard rumours that Glastonbury has already been canned. I just don't think they are going to risk mass gatherings, if the virus is still about. 

5 hours ago, chilirocker said:

I don't mean to be the harbinger of bad news, but I can see the quarantines around the world lasting for at least 6 months - many governments are gearing up for that timeframe. I reckon the whole summer of events will be cancelled. I've heard rumours that Glastonbury has already been canned. I just don't think they are going to risk mass gatherings, if the virus is still about. 

The reason Glastonbury has not been postponed has already been discussed on here. Primavera is more able than Glastonbury  to be done postponed.

Indeed very large volume of events have been postponed to the end of the Summer so every reason to think Primavera will try to do the same.

The U.K. government seems to think normalcy will come back by June based on their scientific advice.

The Australian modelling shows this strongly tailing off by the end of July.

You may be right of course.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

The reason Glastonbury has not been postponed has already been discussed on here. Primavera is more able than Glastonbury  to be done postponed.

Indeed very large volume of events have been postponed to the end of the Summer so every reason to think Primavera will try to do the same.

The U.K. government seems to think normalcy will come back by June based on their scientific advice.

The Australian modelling shows this strongly tailing off by the end of July.

You may be right of course.

I think I may have been overoptimistic but we don’t know yet whether events in late summer/early autumn will go ahead. Certainly a lot have been rescheduled for then with all that that entails.

A lot seems to hinge on whether China is able to get back to relatively normal now without reinfections occurring. If they can, that shows we can too and could be a template to follow.

2 minutes ago, puckno said:

China applied a much more aggressive strategy than many European countries. Their strategy was to try to get rid of the virus, not to ´flatten the curve´, with isolation, detainment camps, etc. 

Very true. I'm talking only about the point numbers are predicted to be very low in Europe (end of July hopefully) based on containment. Will it be safe to ease up on all serious restrictions at that point? Or do we need to continue to have the strongest measures in place to prevent it from building again. Don't think we know yet.

I agree. We don´t know at this stage. I have soft booked hotel, but I still think the virus is a bigger threat to a late August festival than being able to put together a good lineup. If I were the festival management I would be very unsure on what to do, if they want to take the risk or not. We just have to see.