Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

38 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Squid UK tour postponed to the end of August/early September. There's a gap over that last weekend of August. 

Will be interesting to keep an eye on who reschedules to August from the lineup and who keeps that weekend (or at least part of it) free. Gonna get to a point where we can probably assume it’s been rescheduled just based off of that.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rhak said:

STAY THE FUCK INSIDE

As long as you practice social distancing and follow the governments advice it is ok. In some countries there is a curfew though. As for me, living fairly close to nature and open spaces, I will happily go for a walk or a run.  

• Like 1

In the offchance this gets delayed does anyone have knowledge about the aviation industry to know which carriers are more likely to survive the Summer?

I assume Norwegian will go under, Alitalia are being baled out by the government and what about the others? Iberia, British Airways, Ryanair, Easyjet, Vueling?

Just now, puckno said:

God I hope so... Anyway: the most important thing is to pay your flights with credit card, if the airline carrier goes under you will be entitled to refund. 

Good thinking. Flight needs to be >£100.

Frankly I'm expecting most airlines to go to the wall over the Summer. Maybe some nationally supported carriers and a few low cost airlines with strong balance sheets will survive.

57 minutes ago, xxialac said:

In the offchance this gets delayed does anyone have knowledge about the aviation industry to know which carriers are more likely to survive the Summer?

I assume Norwegian will go under, Alitalia are being baled out by the government and what about the others? Iberia, British Airways, Ryanair, Easyjet, Vueling?

I work in the jet fuel industry and we expect a 75% reduction in hedging in the next two months. The only carriers who will survive are those who can switch from passengers to cargo and/or those whose balance sheets are robust enough to support fleet grounding in the short term. Most airlines will be bankrupt by June without government/ industry intervention.

1 minute ago, Dubkeith said:

I work in the jet fuel industry and we expect a 75% reduction in hedging in the next two months. The only carriers who will survive are those who can switch from passengers to cargo and/or those whose balance sheets are robust enough to support fleet grounding in the short term. Most airlines will be bankrupt by June without government/ industry intervention.

Sounds dire, sorry to hear that. 

Do you think the govt ones like British Airways, Air France and KLM are more likely to survive than the big low cost ones like Ryanair and Easyjet?

3 hours ago, puckno said:

As long as you practice social distancing and follow the governments advice it is ok. In some countries there is a curfew though. As for me, living fairly close to nature and open spaces, I will happily go for a walk or a run.  

I agree, i'm in luck to live almost in the city but right next to a park. That's a privilege however. If people living in the dense urban centres flock to the parks there's simply too many of them (or we don't have enough parks, that as well) but we have witnessed a bar/restaurants ban and flocks of 20 year olds  and other tools thought it would be a great idea to have lockdown parties till midnight (when their lockdown went into effect, not the best timing by the government) and far beyond that time in the streets after they hand ransacked late night shops... 

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Sounds dire, sorry to hear that. 

Do you think the govt ones like British Airways, Air France and KLM are more likely to survive than the big low cost ones like Ryanair and Easyjet?

Those airlines are privately owned, IAG own BA and AF/KLM are majority privately owned too so they can’t expect a preferential government bailout. Many state owned airlines have gone under in the past as well. In any case, where there are potential job losses, the relevant governments will come under pressure to assist, whether that’s a low cost carrier or a ‘premium’ brand. The Gulf airlines like Qatar/Etihad should be safe as they are state owned with infinite resources - infinite support however is a different matter.

9 minutes ago, Dubkeith said:

Those airlines are privately owned, IAG own BA and AF/KLM are majority privately owned too so they can’t expect a preferential government bailout. Many state owned airlines have gone under in the past as well. In any case, where there are potential job losses, the relevant governments will come under pressure to assist, whether that’s a low cost carrier or a ‘premium’ brand. The Gulf airlines like Qatar/Etihad should be safe as they are state owned with infinite resources - infinite support however is a different matter.

Great intel, thanks.

5 hours ago, puckno said:

And therein lies the rub - not all governments are giving great advice and advice in the past (no more than 100 people can gather) change daily, sometimes hourly.  This is for people really trying to do the right thing and listen to the experts, but truly just self quarantining is the only true way to know you are part of the solution and not the problem.  Think of going to the store and social distancing, but then using the same keypad checking out as the person before you that might have been infected.  You stayed away from them, but after they wiped their nose and touched the keypad you did as well not knowing.  You can get it from surfaces, etc. so guidelines aren't 100% effective in all situations.  Sure, don't touch your face, etc. etc. etc. but really think about how much you touch your face without you realizing it.  You'd be astounded.

14 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not officially announced as of yet but looks like Glastonbury is cancelled. Only a matter of time before anything up until June/July gets a similar treatment I’m sure. 

Still hope for Primavera to be postponed. Doesn't have anything like the same level of logistical challenge as Glastonbury and Primavera pays a market rate whereas Glastonbury relies on touring bands playing for peanuts.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Still hope for Primavera to be postponed. Doesn't have anything like the same level of logistical challenge as Glastonbury and Primavera pays a market rate whereas Glastonbury relies on touring bands playing for peanuts.

Yeah they’re two very different beasts of course and I’m sure Primavera will be able to reschedule some form of it’s lineup for later in the year.

• Upvote 1

Current pricing @ booking.com at the ´artist hotel´ Barcelona Princess, for a double room, Thursday- Sunday, for the period August-October. Still the suspected weekend 27-30 Aug is very high, and also somewhat higher the weekend before. Some elevated prices for the second weekend of October as well. Are there any other large events taking place in Barcelona these weekends that we should know of?

image.png.bb6eff109a4c0f306f2ee8d5bc450351.png

12 minutes ago, puckno said:

Current pricing @ booking.com at the ´artist hotel´ Barcelona Princess, for a double room, Thursday- Sunday, for the period August-October. Still the suspected weekend 27-30 Aug is very high, and also somewhat higher the weekend before. Some elevated prices for the second weekend of October as well. Are there any other large events taking place in Barcelona these weekends that we should know of?

image.png.bb6eff109a4c0f306f2ee8d5bc450351.png

Top notch research. That 27 August spike sure is suspicious...

There's a Boat Show not too far away from the Forum that €914 weekend in October. Draws 60,000 visitors, not sure if that's why the price is higher then.

EDIT: 12 October also a public holiday.

Edited by xxialac

Just now, puckno said:

Then no need to put those October weekends to a list of suspects. 27-30 August it is.

Could of course be that they've blockbooked then in the hope they can rearrange but proves too difficult so not getting hopes up yet. 

But timing makes a lot of sense. Bands are touring already then, if it's possible, and those that aren't will be gagging to tour by then. 5 days after Paredes de Coura which Gabi is the booker for. And falls perfectly between End of the Road and Green Man, which has some fantastic undercard options.

Not to piss on anyone's fire here but do keep in mind that most hotel sites set their prices dynamically and algorithmically – so for example if more people are clearly searching for one weekend, then the prices will rise accordingly due to demand. They don't necessarily set the price levels themselves.

I'm not saying Prima haven't got their eyes on doing it that weekend and potentially block booked a bunch of stuff, but there's also a lot of other factors that go into hotel pricing. The fact it's a British bank holiday definitely plays into it, for instance.

• Like 1

Just now, puckno said:

Yes, I think it should be very doable to book a top notch lineup for that weekend, with most - though not all - of the current names. It is not the lineup I am worried about, it is the virus...

I dunno. So many complications. Not all bands will choose to tour for Primavera's convenience. I think if they get 50% of the current names they will have done well. They can certainly top up with bands from these festivals taking place either side.