Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, Martin_89 said:

Ah, I understand. Buying a travel insurance now doesn't make sense now, since the problem is already here and that's why the insurance won't cover it anymore. My travel insurance cover travels that was made before 12/3, so I'm safe if it this won't take place. 

that's good then - there's even some slippery companies that have clauses that allow them to wriggle out of paying even for already established policies apparently

1 minute ago, riseupandkill said:

that's good then - there's even some slippery companies that have clauses that allow them to wriggle out of paying even for already established policies apparently

That's fucked up! Hope you get your money back if it's no Primavera this year.

My sense is:

Ticket - will definitely be refunded

Flight - either refunded or will be able to transfer it (risk does remain that the airline goes out of business)

Hotel - many have refundable options, if not either ask the hotel nicely or more likely claim on insurance if you already have it 

Edited by xxialac

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

My sense is:

Flight - either refunded or will be able to transfer it (risk does remain that the airline goes out of business)

Hotel - many have refundable options, if not either ask the hotel nicely or more likely claim on insurance if you already have it 

mostly agree although i was looking to transfer flights from may to august, and the rearrangement fee was more than booking new flights!

1 minute ago, riseupandkill said:

mostly agree although i was looking to transfer flights from may to august, and the rearrangement fee was more than booking new flights!

Ah that’s a shame. Lots of airlines are waiving the rearrangement fee. Probably not Ryanair etc though.

It might be that May is too soon for the no rearrangement fee to be active, more likely to happen when the FCO says dont travel to Spain for that period.

15 minutes ago, xxialac said:

My sense is:

Critical thinker xxialac "ask the hotel nicely"  

• Downvote 1

Ticket terms for Primavera: "... Bad weather, natural disasters, Spanish airspace closure or any other force majeure will not lead to ticket refunds. ... " https://www.primaverasound.com/en/tickets-conditions

If we get full or partial refunds I will consider that a nice courtesy 

29 minutes ago, albman said:

This is an article focusing on UK festivals,

Pitchfork has a nice write up too 

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/what-happens-when-a-music-festival-is-canceled-due-to-coronavirus/

5 minutes ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Critical thinker xxialac "ask the hotel nicely"  

Erm it’s not based on critical thinking it’s based on having asked a non-refundable hotel if they would be kind enough to write to booking.com to have it cancelled and I would love to visit their hotel later in the year. Literally last night. 

Email this morning saying they were happy to make an exception.

• Upvote 1

Most hotels waive their non cancellation clauses these day, in order to keep their reputation for the future. I just did the same for my supposedly non refundable easter holiday, got it all refunded. June might be too long ahead for some hotels to do that, but definitely worth a try.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, whos3000 said:

So, do we reckon it's already in the stage of being postponed, given the rumours and hotel princess? I have time till end of March to postpone my flights 

In my opinion the original date has somewhere between 0 and zero per cent likelyhood to happen. Two possible outcomes:

* Cancellation: My (non-qualified) guess is that a festival as Primavera Sound has so much burn money and contractual obligations that they are not able to cancel by themselves and give everybody a full refund and get out of all the other contracts without too much pain. What they then have to do is to wait for the government to cancel in order to claim force majeure, to be on the safe side with everyting. If this is the case we might have to wait for a month or so before the cancellation is announced.

* Moved: if the festival is moved we could get an announcement much sooner.

• Upvote 2

Just now, puckno said:

In my opinion the original date has somewhere between 0 and zero per cent likelyhood to happen. Two possible outcomes:

* Cancellation: My (non-qualified) guess is that a festival as Primavera Sound has so much burn money and contractual obligations that they are not able to cancel by themselves and give everybody a full refund and get out of all the other contracts without too much pain. What they then have to do is to wait for the government to cancel in order to claim force majeure, to be on the safe side with everyting. If this is the case we might have to wait for a month or so before the cancellation is announced.

* Moved: if the festival is moved we could get an announcement much sooner.

Agree with every word.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hip Priest said:

Gabi said on the radio that tickets for the original dates would be valid for a rearranged PS20 but didn't mention refunds.

I would do it in two stages. Get people to sign up for transfers to a) minimise their financial outgoings and b) have a critical mass of people for the new Verano 2020 festival. Then offer everyone else refunds who wishes to claim one. 

1 hour ago, Martin_89 said:

wtf, what kind of travel insurance is that?!

The usual kind - insurance is a scam at the best of times, they will do their utmost always to get out of paying up.

In 2010 we got caught out in the Iceland volcano chaos. Stuck in the US trying to get back to the UK - took us 8 days finally going via Spain, hotels, trains and 2 night ferry to get home. Out of pocket £1500 - £2000 .............insurance company ...'sorry, act of god' . Act of god .....ffs. 

Just now, thespiral said:

The usual kind - insurance is a scam at the best of times, they will do their utmost always to get out of paying up.

In 2010 we got caught out in the Iceland volcano chaos. Stuck in the US trying to get back to the UK - took us 8 days finally going via Spain, hotels, trains and 2 night ferry to get home. Out of pocket £1500 - £2000 .............insurance company ...'sorry, act of god' . Act of god .....ffs. 

You're right. On the other hand, not all are the same just as getting a refund out of a low cost airline is like getting blood out of a stone.

It is usually a false economy getting the cheapest policy. The expensive ones are more likely to pay out.

20 minutes ago, thespiral said:

Sorry to hear that! Guess I’m lucky that something like that would never happen with a travel insurance from Norway. 

Its obvious they are already booking / trying to book the same line up for a later date, lets say that is late August, and depending on how well they can pull that off, they will announce postponement. If they can get at least 70% of the line up a few months later, its a sure thing they will postpone. If they can not book a decent edition and less than half of the acts are available, they will probably cancel.

I believe in the first scenario.

3 minutes ago, Andrej said:

Its obvious they are already booking / trying to book the same line up for a later date, lets say that is late August, and depending on how well they can pull that off, they will announce postponement. If they can get at least 70% of the line up a few months later, its a sure thing they will postpone. If they can not book a decent edition and less than half of the acts are available, they will probably cancel.

I believe in the first scenario.

I believe in your belief!

I'd be surprised if even 70% of the lineup would be re-bookable.

Coachella could do it because most of the acts are based on the same continent and it's a huge profile festival – Primavera, as much as fans of the festival can convince themselves that it's the main or only festival in Europe, is just one of many stops for touring acts across the summer.

Acts aren't going to agree to a new date unless it's workable within their existing schedule and they can still make a profit on it given they'll have already lost money on flights the first time around. I think everyone should keep their expectations firmly in check over the next few weeks as this develops.

• Upvote 1