Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

1 hour ago, daveje said:

Catalonia suspending all events with more than 1000 people

It is not the most ambitious, to say the least. It is almost as they do not take this seriously. They should go talk with some italian doctors. You see the same in many countries right now, the public get the feeling that government is always one or two weeks behind. I guess they will change that rule in a week, max two.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, jaredean said:

The low numbers in Australia and south America shows that the hopes summer will end it might come true.

Probably too late for Primavera, might save the August festivals

1 hour ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Im still pretty sure 90% that Primavera will happen...some here on this thread literally are having hard on whenever they read something about corona

it's funny how you talk like this is like a business deal. "it will happen, it's rumours etc etc." 

we don't know how this is going to evolve, but it will for sure affect the festival, even if it's over by then, it will be very close to the festival dates.

however, it's better if this corona thing happens for a longer time but well contained than having a bigger boom during march and april and everything going worse due to high contagium and high health care search, it will have far more sever consequences. so think about that, with primavera or without, this is a public health issue and it is everyone s interest.

so people, let's keep safe!

So Trump has banned travel from schengen zone EU countries to America for the next 30 days. Is it fair to say this measure happening now is a positive thing for the prospects of Primavera going ahead? 

Does mean a couple of gigs in my calendar are likely to be cancelled though. Not sure American acts will come over just to play the UK legs of their European tours. 

3 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

So Trump has banned travel from schengen zone EU countries to America for the next 30 days. Is it fair to say this measure happening now is a positive thing for the prospects of Primavera going ahead? 

Does mean a couple of gigs in my calendar are likely to be cancelled though. Not sure American acts will come over just to play the UK legs of their European tours. 

I don't follow. Something like this - unprecedented in peacetime - I can't see how this could be interpreted as a positive?

20 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I don't follow. Something like this - unprecedented in peacetime - I can't see how this could be interpreted as a positive?

Sorry... whilst I don't agree with the measure, I thought it was pretty inevitable he would go down that path. And if this had happened in May, Primavera most likely gets cancelled. 

3 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

Sorry... whilst I don't agree with the measure, I thought it was pretty inevitable he would go down that path. And if this had happened in May, Primavera most likely gets cancelled. 

I see. I think "the next 30 days" doesn't mean "which will end in 30 days" but rather "which will be renewed in 30 days but we can't yet confirm".

1 hour ago, TomViolence said:

No, it's just political theatre. Covid-19 is already in the US and spreading quite happily.

Right now I'm a lot more concerned about the impacts on healthcare services than I am about PS being cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I didn't want to involve myself with the Coronavirus chat, but...

I live in Cheltenham. We are currently in the middle of the Cheltenham Festival (horse racing, for those that don't know/care). So there are around 60,000 extra people in the town per day(it's ok though, because it's worth hundreds of millions of pounds to the economy).I also work for the NHS, and I can tell you the pressure we are under is incredible, and this is without having a number of confirmed cases. If I was a resident of Barcelona the last thing on my mind would be a music festival.

If, somehow, it disappears within the next 6 weeks, great, I'll see you all at the Parc. If not, stay safe everyone, and I'll hopefully see you next year.

7 minutes ago, duckula said:

Without the U.S. bands Primavera ain't happening.

IMO Primavera should assume zero US bands. Probably will play out.

Therefore they could:

1) Announce that they will make some changes and anyone who wants a refund can claim it during a short window. Process these refunds.

2) Announce a scaled down (c.50% festival) with e.g. no Mordor

3) If more than 50% of tickets are still out there, create a lottery to determine who goes. Tough on those who miss out but these are unprecedented times, these people get a refund and maybe a discount on next year and they can always try and buy in the secondary market.

4) Book the best bands they can in the circumstances and fill gaps as they appear. There was no Mordor in 2010 and yet it was still the best festival in the European circuit.

5) Run a great festival and everyone has a good time.

In my view this is the only way to save Primavera 2020...

Edited by xxialac

Guys, I really don't understand where you're getting this optimism, wish I had some of it too

As of today, there's no NBA, Euroleague, FIBA or any international basketball matches. La Liga will follow soon as Rial are quarantined, and probably Champions league will be shut down too before the next match-day.

Even in China, which everyone raves about how they starting to contain it, there are still many new cases each day. we are far far away from over, even when we will - businesses will go back, trade will go back, cause it's a must, maybe even sports, but it will take more time till huge music festivals which attracts people from the entire continent will come back

The only chance Primavera 2020 will happen is if it's by some magic pushed to October like Coachella. if not - see you all at PS2021 

La Liga is suspended already. Ben Watts just cancelled his European tour and postponed it to November. Fat Freddy's Drop landed in Europe last week and promptly cancelled their first series of gigs.

I"m reluctantly coming to the conclusion that more European countries need to follow Italy's lead and basically lock down, but that means that large scale gatherings will have to be cancelled until the number of cases everywhere become manageable and we can go back to normal. But that also means a long tail of new cases that will probably kill the early summer festivals, at the very least.

Touring bands need to make go/no-go decisions really quick. For a decision in the next month, that's almost certainly going to be no-go.