Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

15 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The deputy medical officer interviewed didn’t say that.

Not only did she not say that she was talking about the risk “at the moment” she talked a load of rubbish which completely undermined what she was saying.

She was asked if it was safe to go to a football match and her advice was, yes, you could and be sure to stand 2 metres apart.

FFS

Postponing to later this summer is problematic due to many reasons; a) the reported insurance issue, bands on tours with lots of entourage  will still not have the possibilities to insure their income against the virus b) timeline possibly too short, e.g swine flu used up to a year until it was done with the spread, that is a more realistic scenario than a few months. I would e.g. say that October for Coachella is borderline but could be possible.

45 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Not only did she not say that she was talking about the risk “at the moment” she talked a load of rubbish which completely undermined what she was saying.

She was asked if it was safe to go to a football match and her advice was, yes, you could and be sure to stand 2 metres apart.

FFS

Come on, that's not awful advice. It could have worked for Arsenal games a few months back, for instance..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Thundercnuts said:

Barcelona's game vs Napoli next week will be played behind closed doors 🙄 Hopefully it's just a precaution because they are playing an Italian side and it's not the beginning of the end 

The beginning of the end is Napoli's football players queuing at markets  :)

https://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/Serie-A/Napoli/10-03-2020/coronavirus-a-napoli-anche-callejon-ospina-llorente-coda-la-spesa-3601598731703.shtml

5 hours ago, Thundercnuts said:

Barcelona's game vs Napoli next week will be played behind closed doors 🙄 Hopefully it's just a precaution because they are playing an Italian side and it's not the beginning of the end 

I'm afraid the end has begun long ago.

Even with everything that's done all over Europe and the world, isn't it clear that they are pretty desperately trying to keep the numbers of the infected low - knowing that a cure or a vaccine are about one year away? So why would they stop doing these things in two months or three, only to see the numbers of infected people rise again immediately?

Best case scenario would be for this thing to be under control in late summer and then a replacement Primavera in September. However, I don't believe in that. Second best: the festival's insurance covers this so the money for the tickets can be refunded. This is how low my hopes are right now.

4 hours ago, DDave said:

When I was on YouTube the other day, I got 5 adverts for this in one 20+ minute video. Guess that'll have to be updated accordingly.

Didn't even think the first one was liked enough to warrant a sequel tbh.

So Coachella's officially postponed, still no official word regarding the lineup.

I think they are big enough to make many bands adjust their plans accordingly to stay on and will be able to keep most of the lineup.

Hopefully we'll see the same in Europe, as there are several early festival at risk that do share a few artists (PS, APE, BKS), maybe if all will postpone it will give artists the motivation to do the effort and stay on the lineups

But even if it means the lineup will change a bit, still better than cancelation

3 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

So Coachella's officially postponed, still no official word regarding the lineup.

I think they are big enough to make many bands adjust their plans accordingly to stay on and will be able to keep most of the lineup.

Hopefully we'll see the same in Europe, as there are several early festival at risk that do share a few artists (PS, APE, BKS), maybe if all will postpone it will give artists the motivation to do the effort and stay on the lineups

But even if it means the lineup will change a bit, still better than cancelation

I don't see postponement as an option for many festivals. There's a reason festivals are generally spaced 12 months apart as it's such an enormous logistical challenge. Coachella at least have the bands firmly on side, for whom the festival represents great promotional activity (so much so that many of the smaller ones are willing to work for peanuts) as well as a very well resourced corporate backer. They also would have a c.50% longer period to plan (6 months) vs European festivals (perhaps 4 months from the decision to cancel).

Maybe could do these European festivals on a smaller, more manageable scale but then people would complain that they weren't getting their money's worth.

I'd love it to be postponed so those than can attend don't miss out this year but I think it's a even unlikelier option that it gets delayed, than the virus numbers start to go down and the festival just about goes ahead.

Spain seems to be getting hit harder now than most European countries. Maybe this is a positive for Primavera (if you take the view that the sooner the virus starts, the sooner it ends)?

23 hours ago, Ildavo said:

On a more positive note, the UK's view on this is:

"The virus will not survive very long outside," she said. "Many outdoor events, particularly, are safe."

Did that quote come from the UK health minister? Because she's contracted it! 

5 minutes ago, jonnytee1 said:

Did that quote come from the UK health minister? Because she's contracted it! 

A high ranking medical officer. It's not a perfect quote as she said 'relatively safe' and 'at the moment'.

She also had obviously never been to a football match or a concert as she was under the impression that at outdoor events you could keep a distance of 2 metres from people. 

Edited by xxialac

Getting harder to image this could go on as planned, unfortunately. Spain should peak sometime late this month / early April, and then would need at least a month to slowly come down to normal again. Just not enough time, and thats best case scenario. If we look at China, their peak passed, slowly coming to normal again, but i dont think there will be any serious public large gatherings in the near future, at least 2-3 more months.

1 minute ago, Andrej said:

Getting harder to image this could go on as planned, unfortunately. Spain should peak sometime late this month / early April, and then would need at least a month to slowly come down to normal again. Just not enough time, and thats best case scenario. If we look at China, their peak passed, slowly coming to normal again, but i dont think there will be any serious public large gatherings in the near future, at least 2-3 more months.

China had their virus during the Winter.

Feel the last modicum of hope is that the ever warmer weather slows it significantly.

I think that Germany, France and Spain at least will soon follow Italy in complete lock down measures. 

Who are the American artists that have tours ending (and not starting) around Primavera btw? Those with very short tours excluded. Those are the ones we can already call off