Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

Obviously total speculation but I can’t imagine the crowd will be so small as to close Mordor. So many people have already paid for their ticket, flight hotel etc and won’t want to lose that money if it goes ahead. Ticket sales appear to be good. Plus if it goes ahead it will be on the back of a gruelling couple of months and people will be fecking desperate for some fun. 

36 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I’m surprised you would pull out given as you say you have so many sunk costs, plus your concert tickets would only sell at a discount.

It isn't a sunk cost, i actually purchased all of my hotel/airbnb with free cancelation...flights i'll get credit back so i'm not out any money, or very little.  I was saying i'd already paid all of that in relation to not wanting to use it towards 1/2 of a festival i didn't want to see...now if it was the better half i'd for sure still go :-)

1 minute ago, jaredean said:

It isn't a sunk cost, i actually purchased all of my hotel/airbnb with free cancelation...flights i'll get credit back so i'm not out any money, or very little.  I was saying i'd already paid all of that in relation to not wanting to use it towards 1/2 of a festival i didn't want to see...now if it was the better half i'd for sure still go 🙂

Ah hadn't understood properly, pleased to hear that, would be small comfort.

There will always be next year! (disclaimer, Corona might come back next year too).

It is all so fluid right. Many countries and regions are 4-6 weeks behind Northern Italy in the development of the virus spread. When we eventually get a month or two ahead in time, what will then happen. Will other countries accept travellers from my country? Will my city be in lockdown? Will Barcelona be in lockdown? Will travellers from the bands countries be accepted or are they in lockdown too? 

1 hour ago, jaredean said:

In theory this is a decent thought, but in practice not so much i'd guess. Sure, if I could choose the 1/2 they'd cut it would be fantastic, but I would say all of us on this forum have purchased tickets for a very different band mix.  I'm going with my two daughters.  I bought my ticket first and foremost for Pavement while my eldest is most looking forward to Lana and my youngest to The Strokes.  There are other bands, obviously (BAUHAUS!!!), but the undercard isn't as appealing this year (last year it was the opposite for me - most of my time was spent at other stages or early in Mordor for bands like Big Thief, etc.) So, you take away 1/2 the bands and who will you remove? Those three?  Then it becomes a VERY different lineup and one that i will most likely sell our tickets for.  You take away 1/2 of the undercard and now i'm competing with more people to see less bands. 

Matter of taste, for me the undercred is absolutely amazing this year. The more I listen the more I discover great stuff. Just heard Faye Webster's album last night - another great act to see. Sigh...

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

So Pavement, LDR and Strokes definitely in the highest risk category plus any who are starting their tours in April/May may just pull the plug early. 

Might be optimistic on my part, but I do think Pavement are somewhat less likely to cancel, because those shows are one-offs, not tours.

If a band is touring Europe, it's likely that the whole tour will be cancelled, even if the situation in Spain is relatively good - they'll have to cancel Italy, Germany, etc and at this point maybe the entire tour will not be worth it. Also spending a month or two commuting through Europe in those circumstances is hard.

Pavement are only playing two dates, a week apart. So if Spain situation is OK, they can easily just fly in, do their show and get back home. The situation in Italy/other European countries isn't relevant, and it sounds like much less of a risk than a full tour.

If it did go ahead with half of the acts, I think there will be several tiers of categories depending on situation.

The most high-risk bands and artists would be those who have extensive headline European tours and are from outside Europe - they will likely pull their plans in advance, for example:

The National
Tyler
Lana
The Strokes
Brockhampton
Beck
Iggy Pop
Kacey

I wouldn't put Pavement in the above category, as they are only due to play Primavera and they will have minimal kit.

The next category are the smaller artists who probably live off funds from gig to gig from outside Europe, where insurance won't cover them so the smaller bands like:
Cigarettes After Sex
Boy Harsher
Chromatics
Dinosaur Jr. 
King Gizzard

Then you have the large scale acts from the continent, who might have bigger productions but will be able to make a decision a couple of weeks before:
Massive Attack
Disclosure
Caribou
Bicep
King Krule
PNL

And it will filter down. I mean if we get to that third category and it was still going ahead, it would still be a decent line up, but I would expect a partial refund or some replacements to be announced. But I wouldn't mind that.

8 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Matter of taste, for me the undercred is absolutely amazing this year. The more I listen the more I discover great stuff. Just heard Faye Webster's album last night - another great act to see. Sigh...

Might be optimistic on my part, but I do think Pavement are somewhat less likely to cancel, because those shows are one-offs, not tours.

If a band is touring Europe, it's likely that the whole tour will be cancelled, even if the situation in Spain is relatively good - they'll have to cancel Italy, Germany, etc and at this point maybe the entire tour will not be worth it. Also spending a month or two commuting through Europe in those circumstances is hard.

Pavement are only playing two dates, a week apart. So if Spain situation is OK, they can easily just fly in, do their show and get back home. The situation in Italy/other European countries isn't relevant, and it sounds like much less of a risk than a full tour.

Your logic makes perfect sense. 

And good analysis @chilirockerNonetheless if it gets quite bad, I fully expect all North American bands to cancel as the situation will be contingent on everyone getting behind the idea they may contract Coronavirus. 

The whole of Pavement could be up for it but if one of them isn't (e.g. has a vulnerable family member they don't want to give it to), that could be enough to pull the plug. Plus they do have their crew to consider, potentially an employer/employee situation.

Could be different for a more simple DJ setup.

1 minute ago, Guy Incognito said:

There's a weird level of speculation going on in here. I'm very worried about this being cancelled just like the rest of you but let's just wait and see how it plays out. 

Yeah, and this forum never sees a weird level of endless speculation about who is playing each year : )

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

There's a weird level of speculation going on in here. I'm very worried about this being cancelled just like the rest of you but let's just wait and see how it plays out. 

well, no news so we fabricate our own speculative news to have something to read...

I think there is a 99% of risk of cancellation. The situation in Spain is starting to get worrying. Media are talking about coronavirus all day, deaths are increasing fast in the last hours and politicians wont want to risk, because in a few weeks there are elections in Galicia and Basque country, and also there will be elections in Catalonia during 2020.

Only 11 weeks until Primavera, that is a huge event that brings thousand of visitors from every country in the world, being imposible to keep the 1 meter distante from the other, recommended by authorities.

53 minutes ago, yaniv297 said:

Band with some production equipment and entourage have a high level of cost when touring Europe. E.g. headliners. Because of this it is common to have insurance in case they don´t get paid. However insurance companies now have started to deny insurance of cancellations due to corona virus. These cancellations will tend to come only a short time before respective shows or festivals. This is because festivals will have to wait in order for government regulations before they cancel, in order for the festival to waive their force majeure terms so they don´t have to pay bands and ticket holders. And these government regulations might happen only days or a few weeks before. Thus in the current climate there is a huge risk for the bands to go on tour, with so much uncertainty on if shows (and pay) will happen and no insurance.

48 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

If it did go ahead with half of the acts, I think there will be several tiers of categories depending on situation.

The most high-risk bands and artists would be those who have extensive headline European tours and are from outside Europe - they will likely pull their plans in advance, for example:

The National
Tyler
Lana
The Strokes
Brockhampton
Beck
Iggy Pop
Kacey

I wouldn't put Pavement in the above category, as they are only due to play Primavera and they will have minimal kit.

The next category are the smaller artists who probably live off funds from gig to gig from outside Europe, where insurance won't cover them so the smaller bands like:
Cigarettes After Sex
Boy Harsher
Chromatics
Dinosaur Jr. 
King Gizzard

Then you have the large scale acts from the continent, who might have bigger productions but will be able to make a decision a couple of weeks before:
Massive Attack
Disclosure
Caribou
Bicep
King Krule
PNL

And it will filter down. I mean if we get to that third category and it was still going ahead, it would still be a decent line up, but I would expect a partial refund or some replacements to be announced. But I wouldn't mind that.

We could also distinguish North American bands that end or start their tour around Primavera, with the former being more prone to cancel than the latter I guess...

Like others said I think the biggest risk is bands pulling out than the cancelation of the event. 

Hopefully Italy will have the virus contained in a month time. Probably the other countries will take the same time, so in two months from now the whole thing could be over/ less significative. So it all depends from how much time you want to cancel a tour in advance... 

Or I could be totally wrong and with the virus spreading everywhere you wouldn't want to go to Primavera anyway 

Edited by whos3000

3 hours ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

if a miracle happens and Primavera goes as originally planed, I don't think there has ever been a mistake in my life I'd be happier to admit I'd made, and I'll be willing to shout it of the stage during Pavement's show if they'll let me go up there.

but at the moment, seems like a distant dream

I’d stagedive but if everyone’s a metre apart that could be quite embarrassing.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, yaniv297 said:

Thanks for that tip. Absolutely lovely album that last one.

I wish the lineup wasn't so good this year and then I would feel better about this all. So many good names across the lineup.

I can't believe the 20th anniversary is looking like it will be in the 21st year.  In the words of H. Simpson, "Well there's no easy way to say this kids, but God hates us". 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, visdave34 said:

Can’t seem to find any. Could you name  decent source?

A tennis tournament in Riverside County is already cancelled + someone in Reddit whose friend was playing at Coachella said the artists and vendors got a note today saying the festival would be cancelled with an official statement to follow. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

A tennis tournament in Riverside County is already cancelled + someone in Reddit whose friend was playing at Coachella said the artists and vendors got a note today saying the festival would be cancelled with an official statement to follow. 

Yeah, I read about Indian Wells. Thought you might have read about a Coachella cancellation somewhere, but nothing on the internet yet. Only a matter of time, I’m afraid... 😞 

5 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

Not saying that it's not cancelled but none of that really tells us it's confirmed to be cancelled.