Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

31 minutes ago, puckno said:

It is the opinion of worlds foremost epidemolgists, e.g.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/482794-officials-say-the-cdc-is-preparing-for

It is also based on opinions by most countries health authorities.

It is also based on the science facts for how it spreads, with R0 variable between 2 and 4 vs 1.3 for regular seaslnal flu.

I refer to nothing but science and the foremost scientists. It is all out the in the open to digest, whether it is WHO or others.

Lets visit these posts in two months and see eho is right.

I respect the sharing of this whilst respectively pointing out that experts can be wrong.

2009 Chief Medical Officer in the UK forecast deaths from swine flu: 65,000 deaths.

Actual # from swine flu: 457 deaths

This nonetheless does seem on a scale far greater than what we have seen before in our lifetimes. It is worrying indeed. 

Possible it will get better towards the Summer and then get much worse again in the Winter. Which might allow Primavera to take place...

Ok so lets revisit the Swine flu. Swine flu got to more than 20% of the worlds population in less than a year. However then we got a vaccine to boost immune systems, the inherent spread rate of the virus was much less (R0 = 1.3 a completely different beast), and the damage potential for those infected was much less (much less deadly rates) etc. Though it still took up to a year. To think this new virus finish in only a few weeks or few months is science fiction. 

I do agree though, the experts can be wrong.

1 minute ago, puckno said:

Ok so lets revisit the Swine flu. Swine flu got to more than 20% of the worlds population in less than a year. However then we got a vaccine to boost immune systems, the inherent spread rate of the virus was much less (R0 = 1.3 a completely different beast), and the damage potential for those infected was much less (much less deadly rates) etc. Though it still took up to a year. To think this new virus finish in only a few weeks or few months is science fiction. 

I do agree though, the experts can be wrong.

I broadly agree.

But I'm not saying it finishes in a few months. I'm saying it might reduce significantly if (and it's a big if) it thrives in cold conditions. And then come back again in another massive wave in the winter.

13 hours ago, xxialac said:

SXSW and Coachella will almost certainly be cancelled.

Summer festivals will probably be fine.

Primavera I'm expecting to be a half way house, with a lot of bands cancelling but it going ahead on a reduced basis.

SXSW cancelled. Coachella up next!

Yep, SXSW is now canceled. And if you look at the current numbers you will notice the almost identical amount of people infected in the US as compared to Spain:

https://ncov2019.live/data

But with a very different population comparison (46m vs 331m). 

My home state of Utah just declared a state of emergency and there isn’t a single person infected within it currently. It has to do with getting funding from the government, which is a preemptive thing, but seeing  SXSW cancel continues to point towards pressure and panic. “Facebook Inc., Apple Inc. Netflix Inc. and Twitter Inc. stopped employees attending, and more than 50,000 signed a petition urging that it be called off...Jack Dorsey, Beastie Boys, Spike Jonze and Ozzy Osbourne, canceled earlier this week due to the virus”, and urged to festival to cancel. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/south-by-southwest-festival-canceled-over-coronavirus-11583530566

That is a crap ton of pressure and panic. Once the state of Texas declared a state of emergency that was all it took. They needed funding and people got their wish.

Well, you will need that funding for sure. This documentary is good and will give a glimpse into what you will face in the months to come, and the extreme measures China took in order to get it somewhat under control:

I also recommend the WHO directors message from yesterday: "This is not a drill"

Edited by puckno

1 minute ago, daveje said:

The marathon would have taken place next weekend, same with SXSW. I'm sure that if Primavera was next weekend it would also be cancelled.

Yes totally agree. The reason to flag was it shows that the local Catalan government is quite risk averse. I did a major marathon last week in London and yet that wasn’t stopped by the authorities.

6 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

No matter if the festival goes ahead – and I'm optimistic it will – I think a number of American acts will pull out if the US freak-out gets worse (almost definitely going to).

We can wave goodbye to Lana and Megan for starters.

who's Megan?

11 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

the rumours of Coachella being postponed actually makes me a bit less pasimistic.

Maybe Primavera will only be postponed. Hard but possible, didn't think of this option before

I’d love to think that too but, jesus, the logistics involved are absolutely massive of trying again. Sounds like a case of wishful thinking from Coachella attendees, half of whom even now seem to be in total denial. 

A postponement is not impossible but very unlikely surely. And obviously would be different bands.

Was really unfortunate timing for Primavera to have the distraction this year of running Los Angeles too...

4 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I’d love to think that too but, jesus, the logistics involved are absolutely massive of trying again. Sounds like a case of wishful thinking from Coachella attendees, half of whom even now seem to be in total denial. 

A postponement is not impossible but very unlikely surely. And obviously would be different bands.

Was really unfortunate timing for Primavera to have the distraction this year of running Los Angeles too...

yeah, very hard, too many logistic both for the festival organisers and the tours of all bands. 

Indian wells tennis tournament got cancelled. if anyone still thinks Coachella's gonna happen, I think this is the death blow

• Upvote 1

The shitty situation for Primavera is that they by now probably have come to realise they will have to cancel, but they will have to wait for local government to make the order so that they can claim the force majeure terms in contracts, to ticket holders etc. Such goverment orders will probably not happen until weeks before. Thus they will have to continue as usual and pretend it will happen in communication, marketing etc. That must be really depressing.

Edited by puckno

6 minutes ago, puckno said:

The shitty situation for Primavera is that they by now probably have come to realise they will have to cancel, but they will have to wait for local government to make the order so that they can claim the force majeure terms in contracts, to ticket holders etc. Such goverment orders will probably not happen until weeks before. Thus they will have to continue as usual and pretend it will happen in communication, marketing etc. That must be really depressing.

There’s still some hope so they should cling to that and draw up contingencies for a reduced festival, if (please god) the virus numbers slow down in time.

If you ran the festival with half the bands, it could still be a fantastic time. Perhaps discover some great bands you otherwise wouldn’t have checked out and Coronavirus can’t stop the sun from shining. After all 10 years ago the festival had half the number of bands today and already had a stellar reputation.

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

There’s still some hope so they should cling to that and draw up contingencies for a reduced festival, if (please god) the virus numbers slow down in time.

If you ran the festival with half the bands, it could still be a fantastic time. Perhaps discover some great bands you otherwise wouldn’t have checked out and Coronavirus can’t stop the sun from shining.

In theory this is a decent thought, but in practice not so much i'd guess. Sure, if I could choose the 1/2 they'd cut it would be fantastic, but I would say all of us on this forum have purchased tickets for a very different band mix.  I'm going with my two daughters.  I bought my ticket first and foremost for Pavement while my eldest is most looking forward to Lana and my youngest to The Strokes.  There are other bands, obviously (BAUHAUS!!!), but the undercard isn't as appealing this year (last year it was the opposite for me - most of my time was spent at other stages or early in Mordor for bands like Big Thief, etc.) So, you take away 1/2 the bands and who will you remove? Those three?  Then it becomes a VERY different lineup and one that i will most likely sell our tickets for.  You take away 1/2 of the undercard and now i'm competing with more people to see less bands.  They sold the number of tickets based on the number of bands/stages going at the same time.  I could see it working if they gave the remaining bands a longer set to perform - which in the past would have made me very happy to see certain bands dig deeper into their catalogue with more minutes on the clock.  But you take away 1/2 of the bands on this lineup and hit a few key bands and I'm not likely to go.  Sounds like i'm being a bit weak, but I've already paid out of pocket for 6 tickets (3 Barcelona, 3 Porto) plus flights for us three from the states, hotels/airbnb, rental car and expect a lot of food and concert swag.  I'm already in pretty deep at this point and i don't mind it if Pavement is still playing.  Yeah, i'm that excited.  Bought the ticket the very minute it went on sale...

After all 10 years ago the festival had half the number of bands today and already had a stellar reputation.

Half the bands, half the cost, half the crowd...

Edited by jaredean

Obviously your choice and there’s no right and wrong here though I’m surprised you would pull out given as you say you have so many sunk costs, plus your concert tickets would only sell at a discount.

In terms of who won’t go, obviously  the North American bands least likely, followed by the European bands, followed by the Spanish ones. 

So Pavement, LDR and Strokes definitely in the highest risk category plus any who are starting their tours in April/May may just pull the plug early. 

Take your point about crowd size. I’m envisaging they lose the small stages (hidden, adidas etc) and upgrade those bands to a bigger stage in an off peak time slot.

51 minutes ago, puckno said:

When everything goes according to original plan are you gonna admit then here that you are paranoid hypochondriac who need help   ? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Take your point about crowd size. I’m envisaging they lose the small stages (hidden, adidas etc) and upgrade those bands to a bigger stage in an off peak time slot.

actually, if you're talking about smaller festival, since obviously it will attract less crowd with many cancellations, I'd go the other way around - make Primavera and Ray-Ban the main stages, and then you can close the mordor completely and save the money/logistic with having another huge area  

Just now, n=Nowheretohide said:

When everything goes according to original plan are you gonna admit then here that you are paranoid hypochondriac who need help   ? 

if a miracle happens and Primavera goes as originally planed, I don't think there has ever been a mistake in my life I'd be happier to admit I'd made, and I'll be willing to shout it of the stage during Pavement's show if they'll let me go up there.

but at the moment, seems like a distant dream

• Like 1