Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

55 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

The last I checked Primavera Sound was in Europe and the situation here is getting worse by the day. 

It is bad but not tragic yet. What we see now as symptomatic cases have been infected around 14 days ago. With the next week in Italy, for example, it should be possible to quantify how much the containment worked here. Until then the daily cases will grow more and more, but just because it's a retrospective measure 

1 minute ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

I have stopped checking this thread its become paranoid portal about virus, in few weeks temperature will rise and virus will disappear, primavera will happen end of story

That's what I said fee weeks ago. For this to happen in time for Primavera, we should've been on the downhill side of the curve by now. It's still rising in Europe. Maybe, who knows. We can only hope

Here in the UK most 'expert' opinion I am hearing is saying that banning large gatherings actually isn't nearly as effective as people think, or isn't really necessary particularly if they are outdoor.

Of course what experts say or recommend and what governments or individuals or events choose to do are often very different :D

39 minutes ago, thespiral said:

Here in the UK most 'expert' opinion I am hearing is saying that banning large gatherings actually isn't nearly as effective as people think, or isn't really necessary particularly if they are outdoor.

Of course what experts say or recommend and what governments or individuals or events choose to do are often very different :D

I've said this once but I'll say it again. 

I’m not concerned about Gabi etc pulling the plug themeselves, but reckon the sheer number of acts cancelling will force their hand. 

5 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

I've said this once but I'll say it again. 

I’m not concerned about Gabi etc pulling the plug themeselves, but reckon the sheer number of acts cancelling will force their hand. 

Yes.

I’ve also said the same. Acts are proving to be risk averse. If you lose all your headliners who pull out early, you can’t have a festival. This is where the biggest risk lies. Doesn’t matter if the situation subsequently improves.

Whilst it’s a big risk I still feel we will just about make it. If Primavera was in April or early May I’d have assumed game over.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Whilst it’s a big risk I still feel we will just about make it. If Primavera was in April or early May I’d have assumed game over.

Agree - my gut feeling is might just dodge the bullet. Hoping not too many names  pull out. I have still seen artists in last few days though announcing European dates in May/June so it's not all gloom and doom.

I notice that Download in Australia is still going ahead on weekend of March 21st so that’s a positive. I know it’s not been hugely affected but at least bands are still willing to travel. Also notice Jimmy Eat World are playing that after cancelling Philippines which I had flights and accommodation booked for 🤦🏻‍♂️ Praying we can still see them at RW. 

I think this will go ahead but we may lose some acts who don't want to tour. But given that bands make most of their income from touring and festivals, that is a huge decision for an act to take - they won't do it lightly.

We've already seen Wolf Parade and Efterklang cancel lots of Euro shows. I think that's more relavent than, say, the National or Jimmy Eat World cancelling in Asia, where the situation is much different. 

I think it will be all a lot clearer in the next few weeks - some bands will make their stance clear and some might just decide to not risk it. But writing off an entire European festival tour would be a very costly exercise for a band, even if it may become necessary for them to do so.

Currently, my main worry is that some of the bands I want to see might cancel, not that the festival will be cancelled. I hope we don't lose a lot of acts - it'd be a real shame to have a quieter programme - but I think things will go ahead.

9 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

I think this will go ahead but we may lose some acts who don't want to tour. But given that bands make most of their income from touring and festivals, that is a huge decision for an act to take - they won't do it lightly.

We've already seen Wolf Parade and Efterklang cancel lots of Euro shows. I think that's more relavent than, say, the National or Jimmy Eat World cancelling in Asia, where the situation is much different. 

I think it will be all a lot clearer in the next few weeks - some bands will make their stance clear and some might just decide to not risk it. But writing off an entire European festival tour would be a very costly exercise for a band, even if it may become necessary for them to do so.

Currently, my main worry is that some of the bands I want to see might cancel, not that the festival will be cancelled. I hope we don't lose a lot of acts - it'd be a real shame to have a quieter programme - but I think things will go ahead.

i would say that Jimmy Eats is going off of irrational fear as opposed to facts since i'm sitting in the Philippines currently for work and have been told by many that there aren't any cases of Corona here...i did a quick search and a few hours ago there was the first local instance, but Jimmy cancelled a while back.  That is what i don't like to see, someone cancelling a country that has next to zero threat possibly currently because it is "Asia" so it must be infected. That type of thinking will get Europe cancelled as well, even if it is just Italy, etc.

I just keep thinking about the fact that the coronavirus has killed around 3,400 and the flu kills over 56,000 people each year.  We are at less than 10%.  Sure, it is still spreading, etc. but it is basically the flu.  Dangerous to the elderly and infirm mostly.  This is a mass panic mentality and not much more so far.

Edited by jaredean

I think what hasn't been considered is that if I go on holiday with, say, 6 friends and 1 can't make it (maybe he fears getting coronavirus or has a 'tainted' passport), the holiday still goes ahead.

With a band, they need everyone to commit. And to an extent the wider entourage as well. 

If everyone is up for it but not one of the main members, then they ain't touring.

It will take many months for the spread to top out. I don't understand the comparision with China some posts above, they went to extreme measures basically locking down cities for millions and still deadly sick people all over the place. Go watch the documentaries.The thing is the measures taken in China would need a dictatorship and will not work in the west. Expect 20-60% of the population to be infected, and health service to break down. We're not even having a discussion about Primavera in a couple of months, there is no need to discuss. I still feel optimistic for Primavera 21 though, Primaveras 20th.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, puckno said:

It will take many months for the spread to top out. I don't understand the comparision with China some posts above, they went to extreme measures basically locking down cities for millions and still deadly sick people all over the place. Go watch the documentaries.The thing is the measures taken in China would need a dictatorship and will not work in the west. Expect 20-60% of the population to be infected, and health service to break down. We're not even having a discussion about Primavera in a couple of months, there is no need to discuss. I still feel optimistic for Primavera 21 though, Primaveras 20th.

hahahah maaaan give me some of that stuff you are having :)))

4 minutes ago, puckno said:

Didn't China deal with this in the Winter? i.e. they didn't have the benefit of the weather improving as we move into Spring.

"Expect 20-60% of the population to be infected" - I'm genuinely interest. What's your source of these numbers?

It is the opinion of worlds foremost epidemolgists, e.g.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/482794-officials-say-the-cdc-is-preparing-for

It is also based on opinions by most countries health authorities.

It is also based on the science facts for how it spreads, with R0 variable between 2 and 4 vs 1.3 for regular seaslnal flu.

I refer to nothing but science and the foremost scientists. It is all out the in the open to digest, whether it is WHO or others.

Lets visit these posts in two months and see eho is right.