Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

This is a disappointing one - Hamilton Leithauser has announced a European tour clashing with Primavera.

When he wasn't on the initial announcement, I accepted that maybe he wouldn't show up in Europe until late in the year but now I'll not only miss him as he's not at Primavera but I'll miss him because the only shows I could have attended are taking place during Primavera! :O

Dates below in case anyone is interested.

June 2 Dublin, June 3 Glasgow, June 4 Manchester, June 5 London, June 7 Brighton, June 8 Paris, June 9 Amsterdam, June 10 Berlin, June 12 Copenhagen

Anyone see the Strokes set list in Belfast last night, by the way? Some very big hits missing - Last Nite, the Modern Age, New York City Cops, 12:51... Be interesting to see how this goes from here!

The health authorities will try what they can to contain the situation even in a situation when there is an actual spread. The reason is that if you live as normal the spread has shown to go so fast that you will not have capacity to treat all that need treatment in hospitals. And if you do not have the capacity needed to treat everybody who needs it in hospitals the mortality rates will increase significantly. By this reason one of the most important things to do from the government side is to stop all gatherings like concerts cinema etc and encourage all that can to work and study from home. Thus I am not very optimistic unfortunately, but we will have to wait and see.

16 hours ago, xxialac said:

The Olympics committee said they would make a decision about going ahead 2 months before so if similar Corona needs to improve by beginning of April ie in 5 weeks. Eek. 

the olimpics is a much more complex event which requires longer time to prepare. I doubt Primavera will need to decide that early

16 hours ago, xxialac said:

The Olympics committee said they would make a decision about going ahead 2 months before so if similar Corona needs to improve by beginning of April ie in 5 weeks. Eek. 

it was confirmed by the IOC that it's not an official statement, just of an off record statement by one member of the committee. right now the cancellation of the games is not in discussion. 

16 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

it was confirmed by the IOC that it's not an official statement, just of an off record statement by one member of the committee. right now the cancellation of the games is not in discussion. 

Yeah, I didn't mean it was a hard and fast rule but it is a guide.

I imagine the sooner any festival cancels its event, the less financially damaging it is and that's why they might make a decision roughly 2 months before when the scale of the crisis is broadly known.

My biggest fear is US bands cancelling. Primavera wouldn't go ahead with no US bands. Presumably these bands have a duty of care to their entourage and might err on the side of caution and cancel tours if they felt there was a risk.

Well known people like Gwyneth Paltrow wearing a mask to go to Paris, as though it's a warzone (5 cases in the whole of France with its 60 million population) doesn't help with perception...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

I find little funny how only topic where corona is discussed is Primavera topic :)

1. primavera is earlier than most big European festivals, aside from APE
2. we already have all the lineup announced so nothing else to talk about....

We should keep an eye on Coachella, as the first big festival of the season (though no US cases of Corona yet)

• Upvote 1

yes, in romania it's already a very discussed topic and people are panicking, even if we only have ~20 persons quarantined and NO officially confirmed cases.

i wouldn't mind festivals or even the olympics being cancelled as safety comes first. while it's not an end of the world pandemic in no way. it's still a concern especially for people with other health issues.  it should not be treated superficially, i'm sure that everyone has elders/people with health issues in their family or among their friends, so don't take this as a joke. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I predict that all the 'local' festivals will be fine but the 'international' ones are at risk. 

This is because Primavera relies on international supply and demand of personnel (punters and bands).

If there is still a general sense of panic in 6 weeks, it will be cancelled. If Spain has a particular problem in 6 weeks (like Italy today), it will be cancelled.

The next few weeks will determine its fate.

I'm optimistic but can't be complacent. The risk exists.

57 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Well known people like Gwyneth Paltrow wearing a mask to go to Paris, as though it's a warzone (5 cases in the whole of France with its 60 million population) doesn't help with perception...

But she's a total fruitcake. The best way to keep healthy is to find out what her opinion is then do the complete opposite.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Away from the cheery world of global pandemics, there has been endless will-they-won't-they on Mad Cool of getting Strokes to play their festival. Going back months.

And today it's resolved. They are getting Mumford and Sons.

Oof. Sickener.

I won't get too much into a Mad Cool v PS row but this year's Mad Cool line-up does nothing for me, bar a handful of below the line names like Angel Olsen, Beabadoobee, Peggy Gou, Hinds and Marika Hackman.

1 minute ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Oof. Sickener.

I won't get too much into a Mad Cool v PS row but this year's Mad Cool line-up does nothing for me, bar a handful of below the line names like Angel Olsen, Beabadoobee, Peggy Gou, Hinds and Marika Hackman.

I'm with you. It has its place in the festival spectrum but it isn't for me.

Might be the last one this year, which presumably would benefit Primavera.

33 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I'm with you. It has its place in the festival spectrum but it isn't for me.

Might be the last one this year, which presumably would benefit Primavera.

Honestly I don't think they're even competing that much. Primavera remains a festival focused on indie/"quality" acts, even the big headliners aren't usually just commercial music. Mad Cool is more conventional, commercial options. Look at their headliners this year - Kings of Leon, 21 Pilots, Mumford and Sons, Taylor Swift, The Killers, Major Lazer - I don't really see any of those as a potential Primavera booking. 

2 minutes ago, Amsy said:

They've announced today that VIP for the weekend is nearly sold out. How true do you folks think this is likely to be? Could just be to try and drive sales? 

In the past they have been truthful about the state of sales.

Does point towards this year's festival being commercially successful.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Away from the cheery world of global pandemics, there has been endless will-they-won't-they on Mad Cool of getting Strokes to play their festival. Going back months.

And today it's resolved. They are getting Mumford and Sons.

if its true that feels like frustratingly bad joke....feel sorry for Strokes fans who were waiting all those months...

8 minutes ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

if its true that feels like frustratingly bad joke....feel sorry for Strokes fans who were waiting all those months...

If i wanna arrive to one day (Friday). where can i find hotels in a walking sitance? how easy is to find taxies to the center of the city?

Whats the benefits of Vip Tickets?

Edited by rfnd91