Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

3 hours ago, Damon said:

Reckon Pavement will play any of Malkmus' new solo material or stick to Pavement tracks only?

yeah, i'd be shocked if they played any of his solo stuff...while solo artists often throw songs in from bands they played in, rarely will bands play members solo material...it happens, but rarely...

On 2/10/2020 at 10:32 PM, Guy Incognito said:

Just leaving my 8th Black Midi show and thought I'd report back as promised. They're clearly a pretty different band as to when I first saw them in Spring of 2018. Lots of new stuff and improv and notably no bmbmbm, Near DT MI and Years Ago. 

The additional sax and keyboard players were cool additions but Matt was definitely missed. I'm sure he'll be back for Primavera but the shows are definitely different to how they were 6 months ago, let alone longer. 

Easy to see why you've seen them so much, I would too given the chance. Incredible set and incredible musicians. Only about 5 tunes from schlagenheim but the new stuff sounded amazing. Looks like they're going a more jazz route with it. They're good enough musicians to anyway. 

On 2/16/2020 at 9:43 PM, Marty76 said:

Somehow you're not mentioning DIIV, my favourite act of the day, really like their new album!

For some reason I only listened to their new album on release day and then never went back to it but I've had it on A LOT over the last couple weeks - love it! 

Enjoyed their set in '15 too so I'll be there again (unless there's a bad clash). 

48 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

For some reason I only listened to their new album on release day and then never went back to it but I've had it on A LOT over the last couple weeks - love it! 

Enjoyed their set in '15 too so I'll be there again (unless there's a bad clash). 

DIIV are exceptional. Great they are playing when it looked previously like they were out.

In other news, Avalanches are now around. Be nice if they could be added and do a proper set, given they weren't able to do a live show last time.

4 hours ago, xxialac said:

DIIV are exceptional. Great they are playing when it looked previously like they were out.

In other news, Avalanches are now around. Be nice if they could be added and do a proper set, given they weren't able to do a live show last time.

Yeah, their 2016 show was a "live" DJ with 2/3rds of them... Honestly it was one of the bands i was most looking forward to and the only one i left early to go see other bands.  It seriously felt like my kids were in the car just flipping between stations every 30 seconds - snippets of songs, but overall very underwhelming.  You can listen to the full set HERE if you'd like...

32 minutes ago, jaredean said:

Yeah, their 2016 show was a "live" DJ with 2/3rds of them... Honestly it was one of the bands i was most looking forward to and the only one i left early to go see other bands.  It seriously felt like my kids were in the car just flipping between stations every 30 seconds - snippets of songs, but overall very underwhelming.  You can listen to the full set HERE if you'd like...

They were barely any better at Field Day and were acting drunk.

I'm willing to give them one last try but not holding out much hope any more.

17 minutes ago, xxialac said:

They were barely any better at Field Day and were acting drunk.

I'm willing to give them one last try but not holding out much hope any more.

We saw them in Amsterdam sometime after the Primavera set and they were a lot more fun, but it was a smaller venue and the actual band.

Primavera was just a visa screwup, not what they intended, and they had to beg/borrow to do anything at all.

1 minute ago, daveje said:

We saw them in Amsterdam sometime after the Primavera set and they were a lot more fun, but it was a smaller venue and the actual band.

Primavera was just a visa screwup, not what they intended, and they had to beg/borrow to do anything at all.

Yeah, should have been clearer that I wasn't blaming them for Primavera. But they were a shambles at Field Day and no live setup.

3 minutes ago, daveje said:

ah! yeah, didn't realize that - they were planning on a live set, but visa issues and all...well glad that was the case and not just a pretentious don't care attitude - which was my suspicion at the time.

Avalanches also played Dublin around the time of Primavera set. Played 45-50 minutes and left. I remember people were really angry. 

It seemed they took a bit of time to find their feet when they came back. 

They are a band I loved so would definitely check them out if they were at a festival I was at. Not sure I'd travel to just see them though. Especially after these reviews! 

1 minute ago, artbrut_architecture said:

I should have probably got the name the correct way around although I doubt they're playing either... 

ha...yeah, didn't want to point that out for fear of a lizard wizard gizzard overabundance of pointouts heading your way...

if it makes you feel any better they will be playing Porto on Friday's set...

12 hours ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Avalanches also played Dublin around the time of Primavera set. Played 45-50 minutes and left. I remember people were really angry. 

It seemed they took a bit of time to find their feet when they came back. 

They are a band I loved so would definitely check them out if they were at a festival I was at. Not sure I'd travel to just see them though. Especially after these reviews! 

I posted the below in another topic yesterday, but as you've just mentioned The Avalanches I thought I'd post it here too....

13 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I've just discovered 'Gimix' - which is apparently what the first album would have sounded like if they'd been able to clear all of the samples.

I'm only 5 minutes in, but the interesting thing about it to me is that it's like how they were live when I saw them in 2001 - with stuff like Bob Dylan and Madonna included.

You can download the mp3 from their site, here:-
http://www.theavalanches.com/mixes.html

1 hour ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Is there really any chance for such big names to be added at this point ? I really don't think so...best we can hope is few good names for heineken stage but there will be nothing spectacular 

i don't know, there have been some pretty "spectacular" bands on the Heineken Hidden Stage in the past for sure:

31358076_10156358856318156_3927658720728711168_o.thumb.png.533091fa9ca065913d3749da97449f18.png

This is an image before 2018 was announced (which included Ride!) and can't remember all of 2019, but i saw Swervedriver perform and it was pretty great...drawback is that hidden stage needs some better ventilation - freaking hot! 

Edited by jaredean

Also a couple of decent sized names will inevitably cancelled and be replaced. Bands like Ratatat, FKA Twigs, Future Islands have been added in the past as well as the Hidden half dozen which has got much stronger over the years

The only bands definitively not playing are the ones not touring/available, expensive and with an entourage or playing a rival event.

52 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Also a couple of decent sized names will inevitably cancelled and be replaced. Bands like Ratatat, FKA Twigs, Future Islands have been added in the past as well as the Hidden half dozen which has got much stronger over the years

The only bands definitively not playing are the ones not touring/available, expensive and with an entourage or playing a rival event.

yeah, last year Miley was added in April after Cardi pulled out...don't like either, but that was a pretty big headliner added (while losing a pretty big headliner)...Jamie xx was added when Frank Ocean cancelled...