Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

Just leaving my 8th Black Midi show and thought I'd report back as promised. They're clearly a pretty different band as to when I first saw them in Spring of 2018. Lots of new stuff and improv and notably no bmbmbm, Near DT MI and Years Ago. 

The additional sax and keyboard players were cool additions but Matt was definitely missed. I'm sure he'll be back for Primavera but the shows are definitely different to how they were 6 months ago, let alone longer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Once you try VIP it just isn't the same without it, guaranteed place in front of the two main stages ( if you come at reasonable time usually  5 minutes before will do it if there isn't some huge name in that case 15/20), no queue at entrance, much faster queue when ordering food or drinks in VIP areas, one in front of Primavera stage is pure gold, faster queue for auditori , plus you get some merchandise and book with all artist...especially recommended if you are over thirty :) and its not that much more expensive if you buy it in 48 hours after festival  250 e  ... it is worthy!

although you never know when new normal virus will hit them again and they come out again with mtv crappy pop/future is female vegan friendly headliners in which case you can wipe your ass with ViP if you are not into that shit

As For Radiohead the queue began to grow an hour before the gig and for Arctic Monkeys and Rosalia, they simply abolished the front VIP area. So depending on who you really want to see up front, you have to anticipate and be ready more than 30 minutes before the gig.

1 hour ago, Ecco said:

As For Radiohead the queue began to grow an hour before the gig and for Arctic Monkeys and Rosalia, they simply abolished the front VIP area. So depending on who you really want to see up front, you have to anticipate and be ready more than 30 minutes before the gig.

Hopefully Massive Attack and The Strokes VIP queue not as crazy as Arctic Monkeys set in 2018. It was pretty easy to enter the front VIP area during Solange, James Blake and Janelle Monae last year.

11 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Just leaving my 8th Black Midi show and thought I'd report back as promised. They're clearly a pretty different band as to when I first saw them in Spring of 2018. Lots of new stuff and improv and notably no bmbmbm, Near DT MI and Years Ago. 

The additional sax and keyboard players were cool additions but Matt was definitely missed. I'm sure he'll be back for Primavera but the shows are definitely different to how they were 6 months ago, let alone longer. 

No bmbmbm is disaster. Hoping they bring that tune and Matt back for Prima as long as he's in good health. 

Thaks for reporting back. Makes me happy I saw them a couple times last year.

12 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Are you on the bmbmbm group on facebook?

I have seen them quite a few times (first time was supporting Preoccupations in June 2018) and I really think in a couple of years I'll think back and realise how lucky I was to have see them during the early days of their career.

12 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

ah - was there last night too!

11 minutes ago, Sean1234321 said:

Are you on the bmbmbm group on facebook?

I have seen them quite a few times (first time was supporting Preoccupations in June 2018) and I really think in a couple of years I'll think back and realise how lucky I was to have see them during the early days of their career.

....Maybe....

My first time seeing them was also a support slot. Ought at The Garage in April 2018.

17 hours ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Once you try VIP it just isn't the same without it, guaranteed place in front of the two main stages ( if you come at reasonable time usually  5 minutes before will do it if there isn't some huge name in that case 15/20), no queue at entrance, much faster queue when ordering food or drinks in VIP areas, one in front of Primavera stage is pure gold, faster queue for auditori , plus you get some merchandise and book with all artist...especially recommended if you are over thirty :) and its not that much more expensive if you buy it in 48 hours after festival  250 e  ... it is worthy!

although you never know when new normal virus will hit them again and they come out again with mtv crappy pop/future is female vegan friendly headliners in which case you can wipe your ass with ViP if you are not into that shit

i did VIP once but personally wouldn't bother again (and I'm not this year).

We found the food was really poor wherever we bought it in VIP, the clientele didn't really seem to care about the music all that much, and besides, the whole 'get to the front for the main stages' thing is a bit of a misnomer as half of each stage is for all-comers anyway, it's just a case of planning.

also felt like a total dick standing in front of people crammed up against the 'second' barrier', but maybe that's just me. 

got a nice tote bag though.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, riseupandkill said:

We found the food was really poor wherever we bought it in VIP, the clientele didn't really seem to care about the music all that much, and besides, the whole 'get to the front for the main stages' thing is a bit of a misnomer as half of each stage is for all-comers anyway, it's just a case of planning.

also felt like a total dick standing in front of people crammed up against the 'second' barrier', but maybe that's just me. 

got a nice tote bag though.

Thing is its much easier to plan everything if you have VIP ticket, you can't deny it....clientele in VIP rows pay much more attention to music then those behind second barrier as they have paid more for music not for social gathering, and if you have guilty conscience well you better work on that :)

37 minutes ago, riseupandkill said:

We got it last year for the first time, and got it again for this year in the pre-sale.

The main benefit for us was that it just made the whole festival easier. Especially for the Mordor stages, there were so many gigs there in the past spoiled with people talking the whole bloody time, and that was a lot less of that up front.

13 hours ago, xxialac said:

Not sure if something that had just killed 1,000 people and is continuing to kill people lends itself to jokes.

True, my original comment was out of real concern though, we (and the experts) do not know yet whether this will develop to a global pandemic or if it will be contained, and who knows how this might influence the festival season. Pandemic experts say the number will continue to rise for at least a month, the chinese got back to work from a prolonged new year vacation just this week. So... we just don't know, time will show.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

I'd like to think that's just because they play down that neck of the woods all the time. I'm seeing their Edinburgh show on Monday and hoping for years ago etc. They won't have played here before I don't think. 

2 minutes ago, Swanmob said:

I'd like to think that's just because they play down that neck of the woods all the time. I'm seeing their Edinburgh show on Monday and hoping for years ago etc. They won't have played here before I don't think. 

I think it'll be a similar set at all the shows, irrespective of if they've played there before. They definitely won't do Years Ago as Matt isn't touring with then ATM and he does vocals on that track. 

2 hours ago, Powelly said:

I don't suppose anyone knows what time the headliners are on at Primavera Barcelona?

I'm arriving at the airport at 8pm on the 5th June and was hoping to check-in to a hotel in La Rambla and then head out to the festival to see headliners (The Strokes/Beck). Is this do-able?

In my experience (3 years living in BCN) this is how long things take:

Getting through customs: 15/20 minutes

AeroBus to Ramblas: 40 minutes
Renfe Train to Ramblas: 50 minutes
Taxi to Ramblas: 25 minutes

Ramblas to Forum via metro/bus: 30 minutes
Ramblas to Forum via taxi: 10 minutes

Getting your wristband: 10 minutes

Beck is a bit older so may play at 9/10 but The Strokes probably won't play until 11/12 so you'll definitely make it in time to see them. We'll see when the times are released but you should be fine as long as you're happy to eat at the festival.