Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

2 hours ago, ConfidenceMan said:

A few weeks in to digesting the line up, do people have any new discoveries to recommend?

For me, I've managed to work Black Country New Road and Boy Harsher on to my list; had never heard of either before.

Caroline Polachek sounds cool too, and I might give Little Simz another go too.

Initially, I thought the day split leaned heavily towards Thursday and Friday but my Saturday is getting busy too - Iggy Pop, King Krule, Chromatics, Boy Harsher and Black Country New Road, and thats before I even try to squeeze Caroline Polachek, Tyler, Bicep, Weyes Blood, Fatima Yamaha, etc.... 

Yeah I thought Saturday was the weakest day until I made a list of acts I REALLY wanted to see...

Tyler, Disclosure (for the missus), Bauhaus, Iggy, Chromatics, Bicep, Gibbs & Madlib, Weyes Blood,  Koffee, Mavis Staples, DIIV, Jamila Woods, Rapsody, Polachek, Hval, Boy Harsher and Black country, New road.

That's just with the people I've checked out, there will be more on that list come June I'm sure, can't wait to make a clash decision every act.

My list of smaller not-to-miss acts that I will likely have to miss due to clashes (mostly bits stuff) so far: 
- lingua ignota
- 100 gecs 
- oklou
- gabber modus operandi
-  33emybw
- special request live 
- lightning bolt 
- lorenzo senni 
- tropical fuck storm 
- sherelle 
- chromatics/king krule (I am sadly pretty sure one of them will clash with Tyler)
- squarepusher 
- jenny hval 
- the caretaker (I REALLY want to see him) 
- om 
- sangre nueva: for those who aren't aware, all star team of experimental regaetton, Kelman Duran is involved 

I hope to catch at least some of these thanks to an early/late set time 

Every artist has one song in the Primavera playlist...besides the National, who have a track from both I am easy to find and High Violet. I was giving up on the hope for a high violet set but...Coincidence?? Their description in the website also specifically cites those two albums. 

Edited by whos3000
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Black midi on c2c last year was at some point unrecognizable  I think they had also some technical problems during their play 

They're definitely starting to experiment more with the live shows. As I said previously I've seen them many times, dating back to April 2018. The sets these days are more jam/improv heavy. They still play most of the tracks off Schalegenheim but are known to adapt and alter the tracks. I'd still expect them to mostly play the tracks as they appear in the album though. Most of the experimenting seems to be at events or festivals that cater to or are aimed at more experimental and/or an electronic sound, most notably at Fabric and C2C. 

I'm seeing them, for what I think is the ninth time, next week so will report back as to what the set is like. They have been alluding recently to a new album being on the way but I'm fairly sure that's just a joke, however they have spoken about the desire to keep pressing on and changing their sound. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

They're definitely starting to experiment more with the live shows. As I said previously I've seen them many times, dating back to April 2018. The sets these days are more jam/improv heavy. They still play most of the tracks off Schalegenheim but are known to adapt and alter the tracks. I'd still expect them to mostly play the tracks as they appear in the album though. Most of the experimenting seems to be at events or festivals that cater to or are aimed at more experimental and/or an electronic sound, most notably at Fabric and C2C. 

I'm seeing them, for what I think is the ninth time, next week so will report back as to what the set is like. They have been alluding recently to a new album being on the way but I'm fairly sure that's just a joke, however they have spoken about the desire to keep pressing on and changing their sound. 

In addition to this I have just a post on Facebook from the band saying that Matt, one of the guitarists, is "away right now" and they're adding a keyboard and sax player to the band for these upcoming UK shows. 

40 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

Every artist has one song in the Primavera playlist...besides the National, who have a track from both I am easy to find and High Violet. I was giving up on the hope for a high violet set but...Coincidence?? Their description in the website also specifically cites those two albums. 

That’s a really good spot on the DJ Coco playlist.

Note also how the High Violet song sits with the Wednesday night bands.

Secret HV set on Wednesday?

Charlotte Adigery plays Wide Awake! festival in London on the Friday! Hopefully PS will get her to play on the Your Heineken Stage or one of the small ones:

METRONOMY, Black Country, New Road, Charlotte Adigéry, Squid, The Murder Capital, A Certain Ratio, Automatic, Beak>, Faux Ferocious, Identified Patient, Lazarus Kane, Marie Davidson (DJ), Manfredas b2b Ivan Smagghe, PREGOBLIN, Shortparis

5 minutes ago, Orens said:

Charlotte Adigery plays Wide Awake! festival in London on the Friday! Hopefully PS will get her to play on the Your Heineken Stage or one of the small ones:

METRONOMY, Black Country, New Road, Charlotte Adigéry, Squid, The Murder Capital, A Certain Ratio, Automatic, Beak>, Faux Ferocious, Identified Patient, Lazarus Kane, Marie Davidson (DJ), Manfredas b2b Ivan Smagghe, PREGOBLIN, Shortparis

The Murder Capital are brilliant live and would be a great add. Good that they are active.

On 1/21/2020 at 6:01 PM, xxialac said:

Kurt Vile, the local heroes Manel, Metronomy (who will all play on Wednesday free for the general public) together with Núria Graham”

Does this mean Kurt Vile will play Wednesday??

Not sure if its been mentioned, On the main website, the Wednesday at the Forum has been expanded, with some bands moving from Thurs to Wednesday. (Kurt Vile, Cigarettes After Sex & Carolina Durante)

It may be an error.
image.thumb.png.efd885832dd3873b714491cba775fb5b.png

7 minutes ago, Karl_Mcr said:

Not sure if its been mentioned, On the main website, the Wednesday at the Forum has been expanded, with some bands moving from Thurs to Wednesday. (Kurt Vile, Cigarettes After Sex & Carolina Durante)

It may be an error.
image.thumb.png.efd885832dd3873b714491cba775fb5b.png

Must be an error surely as a) Kurt is on the right date on his website b) it would make Wednesday far too strong and c) wasn't mentioned on the very recent press release..

not band related but a straw poll, where abouts in the city are you staying for this? we've gone for Poblenou as it is walkable back afterwards and is really quite nice and chilled. Paid a bit more than I wanted to for accom but only booked yesterday so was slow off the mark after the lineup, not to mention those that booked months before the lineup even came out.

Everywhere very close by seems stupidly expensive.

Havent really considered staying in the city centre due to the inability to get a taxi after. are the shuttle buses back OK or a shambles?  Metro doesnt run on the Thurs and Friday night till 5am. I might / hope to stay out till then but not guaranteed.

Edited by Memory Man

26 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

not band related but a straw poll, where abouts in the city are you staying for this? we've gone for Poblenou as it is walkable back afterwards and is really quite nice and chilled. Paid a bit more than I wanted to for accom but only booked yesterday so was slow off the mark after the lineup, not to mention those that booked months before the lineup even came out.

Everywhere very close by seems stupidly expensive.

Havent really considered staying in the city centre due to the inability to get a taxi after. are the shuttle buses back OK or a shambles?  Metro doesnt run on the Thurs and Friday night till 5am. I might / hope to stay out till then but not guaranteed.

we will stay in Poblenou aswell. Nice tapas bars, chilled area and close to the beach. 

I can recommand to rent a bike during your stay. It is so easy to go to the festival and back by bike. The organizers habe a special bike park in front of the festival, which is more than secure. No taxi queue, independant, quick and last but not least, eco-friendly!

Ill be near La Verneda i la Pau this time. Pretty much just chose it as there was a decent looking air BnB within walking distance of the Parc which didn't cost a bomb. Anyone got any idea what this area is like?

In the past I've stayed in Poblenou and Nou Barris. Both were fine, primarily because Poblenou was so close and Nou Barris cost me just £80 for 7 nights.

I'm staying in El Raval in the centre, mainly because some friends of mine have rented an apartment in Barcelona for the whole of June and they love that area, so I get to stay with them for very little, just have the journey back to contend with, but I'm sure it won't be too much of a pain.

4 hours ago, Ecco said:

can recommand to rent a bike during your stay. It is so easy to go to the festival and back by bike.

I am staying at Poblenou as well and have been thinking about this option before you mentioned it... Do you have any suggestions on where to rent a bike, and at what cost?