Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

10 hours ago, whos3000 said:

what's the previous  highest profile clash at Primavera? did they ever let two acts this big collide? I was there in 2018 and Beach House clashed with Asap and if I am not wrong last year was Stereolab vs James Blake, wasn't it?  Tyler vs Bauhaus would be a completely new level of annoying tho

The long set of Godspeed You Black Emperor  vs Kendrick Lamar at PS 2014. Luckily it was the pre "To Pimp a Butterfly" era.

Hopefully there will be no conflicting schedule on Lana vs Bikini Kill vs Floating Points with ensemble on Friday, and Pavement/Massive Attack vs DJ Shadow vs Neubauten on Thursday. Damn, this is really a stacked lineup

2 hours ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Some clashes are imminent, so its better to clash completely different music genres then the opposite...more sane wishes would be not to be clashes between Pavement and Dinosaur jr.  or Tyler and Pnl or Strokes and kgawl then your crazy wishes

Yeah but... they’re not gonna clash Bad Bunny and Abbath, right?!?

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Primavera 2019 vs Primavera 2020 : 90 vs 164 pages here, and its only January... thats how much this edition is better :)

The announcement came on December 5th, in page 45~

This one came on January 15th, on page 137

Waiting for so long and having the 2020 hype does that. 

1 hour ago, jaredean said:

This will be my third PS (2016 and 2019) and is it just me or is the audio (mostly the vocals) on the pitchfork stage absolute crap to anyone else?  I thought it was just in 2016 after i couldn't hear a darn thing from the vocals of Alex G or Car Seat, but 2019 was no better.

Anyone?

Agreed. Pitchfork is my least favorite stage due to its sound quality compare to other stages that kind of ruin the artist performance.

However, the sound in Adidas stage near pitchfork is realllly good.,

1 minute ago, Bram said:

Agreed. Pitchfork is my least favorite stage due to its sound quality compare to other stages that kind of ruin the artist performance.

However, the sound in Adidas stage near pitchfork is realllly good.,

It makes no sense that one stage should have consistently worse sound year after year. Surely it depends on the calibre of the sound engineers working there that day?

The sound on all the other stages is good, hope they can finally fix this are there are some great bands playing there this year.

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

It makes no sense that one stage should have consistently worse sound year after year. Surely it depends on the calibre of the sound engineers working there that day?

The sound on all the other stages is good, hope they can finally fix this are there are some great bands playing there this year.

might be the proximity to the water, it's the closest one, maybe the winds there

Though I have to say I've never noticed a significant difference there

Just now, JedTheHumanoid said:

might be the proximity to the water, it's the closest one, maybe the winds there

Though I have to say I've never noticed a significant difference there

I've never noticed more wind or any wind there and the water is super calm nearby.

It's all a bit odd. I think some years it's been ok.

It certainly doesn't work however if they put an intimate performer there, certainly, as there is sound bleed from other stages. Tobias Jesso Jr had these problems and apparently Aldous Harding did too.

6 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I've never noticed more wind or any wind there and the water is super calm nearby.

It certainly doesn't work however if they put an intimate performer there, certainly, as there is sound bleed from other stages. Tobias Jesso Jr had these problems and apparently Aldous Harding did too.

Just worried for the Caroline Polachek gig. In general worried about clashes.. I don't need this sound worry too 😉

29 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The Aldous bleed was horrible, total disappointment.

40 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Oh fuck, that Tobias Jesso Jr. concert was such a awful experience. Could almost not hear him because of the Rayban stage. :( 

• Upvote 1

I don’t think I’ve ever watched too much on the Pitchfork stage the couple of times I’ve been but damn, hoping this isn’t a continuing problem this year as there’s quite a few acts I fancy seeing (whether I’ll actually get to see any of them is another thing entirely).

Do remember walking past whilst DIIV were on a couple of years ago and it sounding a bit shitty, but I just assumed that was DIIV’s fault rather than the stage itself. 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I don’t think I’ve ever watched too much on the Pitchfork stage the couple of times I’ve been but damn, hoping this isn’t a continuing problem this year as there’s quite a few acts I fancy seeing (whether I’ll actually get to see any of them is another thing entirely).

Do remember walking past whilst DIIV were on a couple of years ago and it sounding a bit shitty, but I just assumed that was DIIV’s fault rather than the stage itself. 

I reckon the sound will probably be fine, as long as they're a noisier act. DIIV, Black Midi etc - all good. Caroline Polachek acoustic/quiet number - I'd swerve.

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I reckon the sound will probably be fine, as long as they're a noisier act. DIIV, Black Midi etc - all good. Caroline Polachek acoustic/quiet number - I'd swerve.

Caroline Polachek is one of my must sees of the weekend so, clashes pending, there’s no way I’m missing her. Guess I’ll just have to try and get up front/move around to see where the sound is best. 

Hamilton Leithauser was very good on Pitchfork a few years ago but he has lots of energy in his show.

Rostam, the year before last, was not great. But ive seen him in the UK since and he can be hard to hear in indoor venues too because of his whisper style singing. 

Pitchfork looks like it has some good stuff this year. I'd say Fontaines DC could be good there but I've an awful feeling they could be the bad clash on Thursday for me. Strokes and Caribou could be late on stages at the same time. Hopefully it won't overlap. 

14 hours ago, bobhoward said:

The second clashfinder doesnt look too bad barring a few mistakes/errors. It does have Bauhaus on one of the main stages.. they seem more like a Primavera/Ray Ban type of act to me... and PNL.. while I admittedly have never heard of them before this lineup drop.. seem more like a Moroder act... their streaming numbers seem huge.

Their 3AM Rayban guesses seem pretty likely.

I know some people have described Saturday as the weakest day, but to me that day is absolutely stacked. Iggy, Bauahus, Chromatics, BCNR, Bicep, Freddie Gibbs/Madlib, Mavis, Tyler... bound to be clashes but thats a stacked day if you ask me

I don't think there's any way Bicep live won't get the 3AM Ray-Ban Saturday treatment that Modeselektor got last year. They appear to be much, much bigger than 2017 (performing late on the Bits prior to their album release).

7 hours ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Some clashes are imminent, so its better to clash completely different music genres then the opposite...more sane wishes would be not to be clashes between Pavement and Dinosaur jr.  or Tyler and Pnl or Strokes and kgawl then your crazy wishes

I get your point but Internet exists and it's, if not likely, at least possibile that a classic Primavera targeted pitchfork reader likes both Bauhaus and Tyler. We're not talking of the caretaker vs Isabella

4 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

I get your point but Internet exists and it's, if not likely, at least possibile that a classic Primavera targeted pitchfork reader likes both Bauhaus and Tyler. We're not talking of the caretaker vs Isabella

But by that rationale almost everyone clashes with everyone. With 15+ stages, how do you propose to avoid clashes?

5 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

To be fair, apart from all the reggaeton that’s crept in in recent years, most of Primavera’s lineup appeals to that kind of music fan. I’m almost certain that I’m gonna have to miss a shitload of acts this year due to how wide my taste of music is. Just how it goes at festivals like Prima where the lineups are so stacked. 

2 hours ago, Orens said:

The Aldous bleed was horrible, total disappointment.

That was also pointed out before the festival on these forums: Aldous was the perfect candidate for the Auditori and the Pitchfork stage at prime party time had to be a disaster. It was just a huge mistake.