Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

Personal opinion: I don't think the lineup is weak BUT the big 8-10 names per day seem a bit weak for a lineup that's been teased as "the greatest of all time". 

Hardly gonna say ‘ah sorry guys we fucked it this year #justalirghtfestival’

Maybe some other names will be announced, but people need to massively lower their expectations if they think we’re getting more headliner sized acts, especially one who is currently a bigger deal than any of those announced.

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Hardly gonna say ‘ah sorry guys we fucked it this year #justalirghtfestival’

Maybe some other names will be announced, but people need to massively lower their expectations if they think we’re getting more headliner sized acts, especially one who is currently a bigger deal than any of those announced.

Totally agreed. Did preface my FO comment by saying 'obviously it's not going to happen but'...

of course, there was an embargo for radiohead and arctic monkeys.

but they still released the full line up instead of delivering just part of it. if anyone would hold the announcement, they would delay it til February or whatever date in January Frank would want to announce. 

i still think that the strokes are the main reason this was delayed, but would have expected more shows to follow this week. oh well...

5 minutes ago, xxialac said:

To focus on what is likely, I feel pretty confident there will be some fun last minute surprises (like the year of 2017 with an AF show in the round, half a dozen secret sets plus Mogwai and Haim previously unnanounced). 

this is a realistic scenario, the national doing high violet as separate show for example

1 minute ago, neacaisa said:

this is a realistic scenario, the national doing high violet as separate show for example

I can see a Charlatans set with Tim B being there, a Daphne set given Caribou and it would be lovely if they could get Deerhunter to open the 20th anniversary on the Thursday. For the love of God, Bradford is family and has to be there in some capacity.

1 hour ago, chilirocker said:

I'm surprised that we didn't get more from this line up, there are some very obvious acts that should be at Primavera...

It ain't too bad; 

black midi: 2020
boy harsher: 2020
shame: 2020
the comet is coming: 2019
drab majesty: 2019
dream wife: 2019
sheer mag: primavera weekender 2019
lena willikens: 2016, 2018
daniel avery: 2014
girl band: 2014

I can't believe they've just dropped a lineup with a bunch of headliners that will cost millions of Euros and some of you are still expecting other headliners to come. The fact they've cut the number of acts each day tells you all you need to know about how much they've spent on Lana/Tyler/The Strokes/etc. It's just not realistic, and this is also Primavera: if there was any other major announcement to come, they'd have teased it. I've no doubt there'll be a bunch of hidden/surprise acts across the weekend but there won't be anything major.

I do think it says something about the quality of the top tiers when most of the reaction from regular goers is "yeah it's good, but is there anything else?".

Edited by jannybruck
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I can't believe they've just dropped a lineup with a bunch of headliners that will cost millions of Euros and some of you are still expecting other headliners to come. The fact they've cut the number of acts each day tells you all you need to know about how much they've spent on Lana/Tyler/The Strokes/etc. It's just not realistic, and this is also Primavera: if there was any other major announcement to come, they'd have teased it. I've no doubt there'll be a bunch of hidden/surprise acts across the weekend but there won't be anything major.

I do think it says something about the quality of the top tiers when most of the reaction from regular goers is "yeah it's good, but is there anything else?".

"The fact they've cut the number of acts each day tells you all you need to know about how much they've spent on Lana/Tyler/The Strokes/etc" 

I don't think that's necessarily true. Lots of other possible reasons e.g.

a) holding back more for later e.g. more Bits names as they used to do.

b) constrained by additional Primavera Sound Los Angeles costs

c) suffering from the 1 million euro fine and taxes they had to cough up last year

d) getting a lower subsidy from the local Catalan government

There's no reason to think they have spent more on headliners this year than normal. 

9 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I'm not attending but quite honestly I don't think that this lineup could realistically be better. Yes, there are omissions, but in some capacity there'll always be some omissions that are felt from the typical expectations that are set beforehand. The headliners are solid, the undercard is fabulous as usual. There's always room for improvement, of course, but too much of a good thing can be a bad one in and of itself (clashes) and that doesn't hurt the lineup's current quality whatsoever

My biggest problem with the line up is the balance. We have many big bands and many great small bands. But there is not enough in between.

Bikini Kill or Bauhaus could certainly have been headliners like Ride or Slowdive in the past. Far too many big established bands were booked instead. Massive Attack, The National or Lana del Rey have been featured in so many other international festivals in recent years. So the special bookings of the line up are really getting lost. That was quite different at my first Primavera 2009. I feel old now.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Agreed. They have done the best with the acts that are touring at the moment, the most notable ommission is Kendrick who Gabi wanted, but timings meant he was coming a month later to Europe. I can hands down say that the line up is 10x better than Coachella, who probably have double or treble the budget of Prima. All this Frank talk, I can see him just doing the one show at Coachella and then drop his album and maybe do more select dates next year. 

1 minute ago, young_contra said:

I'm not attending but quite honestly I don't think that this lineup could realistically be better. Yes, there are omissions, but in some capacity there'll always be some omissions that are felt from the typical expectations that are set beforehand. The headliners are solid, the undercard is fabulous as usual. There's always room for improvement, of course, but too much of a good thing can be a bad one in and of itself (clashes) and that doesn't hurt the lineup's current quality whatsoever

I love the lineup but for me it lacks that special magic something. Those bookings that you feel only Primavera could have pulled off - bands you'd long given up of hope of ever performing or shows presented in a very different way. I suppose Pavement is in part that and that excitement has been dulled by sitting on that information for 12 months, which is what it is. And there are one or two others that almost qualify.

I like the headliners and I still love the undercard so it's all good for me. Imagine I'll still have that rush of excitement when I walk in for the first time, same as it ever was.

Just now, xxialac said:

I love the lineup but for me it lacks that special magic something. Those bookings that you feel only Primavera could have pulled off - bands you'd long given up of hope of ever performing or shows presented in a very different way. I suppose Pavement is in part that and that excitement has been dulled by sitting on that information for 12 months, which is what it is. And there are one or two others that almost qualify.

I like the headliners and I still love the undercard so it's all good for me. Imagine I'll still have that rush of excitement when I walk in for the first time, same as it ever was.

I understand that, but I guess now that that's just a matter of perspective (as most things here are). As I've said multiple times, I'm only attending PS's little brother NPS so I'm obviously not that well versed on the real deal BUT to me Primavera's magic has always been within the festival itself and its lineup will have the added spells. Our wizard Gabi might not have all the fancy spells on a yearly basis but the magic is still there, I believe

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

The "booking only primavera could pull off" is Pavement. Maybe they should've been announced with the rest of the lineup for the shocking factor. 

Just now, diogozsz said:

The "booking only primavera could pull off" is Pavement. Maybe they should've been announced with the rest of the lineup for the shocking factor. 

That was exactly my point there. Its potency has been lost after a year. As a surprise, would have provoked a different reaction.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Not sure why they decided to announce Pavement so early (and I'm sure there's a good reason they did) but think them being on the lineup with little to no clue they were reforming would've made the initial lineup drop considerably more exciting.

What we know so far:

• Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever on Monday
  • The Jesus And Mary Chain + Metronomy  on Wednesday (most likely Parc Del Forum)
  • City Slang: Boy Harsher, Afrodeutsche, Health, Roosevelt, Noga Erez, Le Hammond Inferno, Coma, Jakuzi on Wednesday (most likely Sala Apolo)
  • Pitchfork Stage Thursday: Kim Gordon, black midi, Sampa the Great, Girl in Red, Rina Sawayama, Kampire & Decay: Bunu Bop, Carla
  • Pitchfork Stage Friday: Earl Sweatshirt, Fontaines D.C., Mariah the Scientist, Helado Negro, Chaqueta de Chandal, Young Marco
  • Pitchfork Stage Saturday: Jawbox, DIIV, Caroline Polacheck, Shame, Tim Burgess, Leon Vynehall, Crudo Pimento
  • Auditori Thursday: AEAEA
  • Auditori Saturday: Maria Del Mar Bonet, Jenny Hval
Edited by Createur
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5