Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

Just on the headliner thing, I've seen one or two of you saying that it is just a bit of a cynical move on PS part that the likes of King Princess or Brittany Howard have been 'bumped' up to headliner status and I have to disagree. While these acts clearly don't currently have the stature of some of the other acts there, PS have made it very clear that it's not just about booking relatively 'large' or popular female/nb/trans performers it is also about elevating smaller ones so that they can become more frequent top-liners.

A big problem in the festival circuit generally is that there are a handful of legacy acts that are awarded headliner status and people are continually questioning (or worse) the placement of newer headliners. This has led to many festivals resting on their laurels and rebooking the same large acts year after year. Primavera has continually been a festival that has had a different view of headliners and has tried to push acts that look like they are emerging to that larger status, have a show or album which translates to that larger setting or are garnering a bigger underground following. This isn't always successful and some acts will be in big fonts one year and smaller ones the year after but I am pleased to see a major booker repeatedly taking risks to try and keep things (relatively) fresh.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

https://muzikalia.com/primavera-sound-2020-desvela-cartel-mas-completo-historia/

Here's a link to it in Spanish.

My favourite bit of the Google Translate is the correction of Lana Del Rey to "Lana the King". 😂

Thanks

Yeah that made me laugh, and "Norman Rockwell Fucking!" 😂

I'm a bit annoyed that we don't have more specific dates for the la Ciutat stuff. I want to book flights and accommodation but still don't know which dates to go for. There's a few names in that section I'd like to see but can't afford toooo much time off work =\

10 hours ago, xxialac said:

Can we petition the organisers to put Cigarettes After Sex in the auditori?

Their sound got hopelessly lost outside last time, they need the intimacy of an indoor space.

Agree, seen them twice, once at Rough Trade and the other at the O2 Brixton. Their sound was too quiet for Brixton I couldn't hear them over the audience talking. They need intimate venues.

29 minutes ago, Gregorick said:

Just on the headliner thing, I've seen one or two of you saying that it is just a bit of a cynical move on PS part that the likes of King Princess or Brittany Howard have been 'bumped' up to headliner status and I have to disagree. While these acts clearly don't currently have the stature of some of the other acts there, PS have made it very clear that it's not just about booking relatively 'large' or popular female/nb/trans performers it is also about elevating smaller ones so that they can become more frequent top-liners.

A big problem in the festival circuit generally is that there are a handful of legacy acts that are awarded headliner status and people are continually questioning (or worse) the placement of newer headliners. This has led to many festivals resting on their laurels and rebooking the same large acts year after year. Primavera has continually been a festival that has had a different view of headliners and has tried to push acts that look like they are emerging to that larger status, have a show or album which translates to that larger setting or are garnering a bigger underground following. This isn't always successful and some acts will be in big fonts one year and smaller ones the year after but I am pleased to see a major booker repeatedly taking risks to try and keep things (relatively) fresh.

If I went the VIP route, I would like to see acts as established as Nick Cave, Strokes, Janelle Monae, Lorde, Solange on stage. 

I wouldn't want to pay for the privilege to be front row/stand for King Princess, Brittany Howard, King Krule. 

That's my take. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Rico_Pliskin said:

If I went the VIP route, I would like to see acts as established as Nick Cave, Strokes, Janelle Monae, Lorde, Solange on stage. 

I wouldn't want to pay for the privilege to be front row/stand for King Princess, Brittany Howard, King Krule. 

That's my take. 

I don’t want to pay extra to be front row for anyone to be honest. Think the VIP tickets are much more of a heinous act than the positioning of a few artists on the lineup.

But get your point, I think that’s why it’s generally better to wait till the lineup is revealed if you want a particular calibre of act. When people pay money expecting a certain thing and don’t get it I can understand that disappointment.

• Like 1

Someone on the o/s has had a go at suggesting names for the auditori. Probably will end up being about right, though I'm not convinced by Weyes Blood there.

THURSDAY
Floating Points Falaise Ensemble
Lingua Ignota
AEAEA
Weyes Blood

FRIDAY
Richard Dawson
Arthur Verocai
Iosonouncane
Jessica Pratt

SATURDAY
Maria del Mar Bonet (confirmed)
Jenny Hval (confirmed)
The Caretaker
Mavis Staples

26 minutes ago, Gregorick said:

I don’t want to pay extra to be front row for anyone to be honest. Think the VIP tickets are much more of a heinous act than the positioning of a few artists on the lineup.

But get your point, I think that’s why it’s generally better to wait till the lineup is revealed if you want a particular calibre of act. When people pay money expecting a certain thing and don’t get it I can understand that disappointment.

That's a nice thought out response. 

I was really expecting people release the kraken with my take on events. 

Personally I won't be front row, (maybe for the Strokes) i'll be sitting in the stands when available. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gregorick said:

I've seen one or two of you saying that it is just a bit of a cynical move on PS part that the likes of King Princess or Brittany Howard have been 'bumped' up to headliner status and I have to disagree.

Brittany Howard was very high up on most year end lists and is a huge live performer. I have no problem with the festival bumping her up, and look forward to that show.

6 minutes ago, puckno said:

Brittany Howard was very high up on most year end lists and is a huge live performer. I have no problem with the festival bumping her up, and look forward to that show.

She looks an excellent live prospect. Gathers she plays as well as sings and reckon it will be a great show, she's also enjoyed commercial success. She had a #1 song on the Billboard Triple A Chart (no mean feat).

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Someone on the o/s has had a go at suggesting names for the auditori. Probably will end up being about right, though I'm not convinced by Weyes Blood there.

THURSDAY
Floating Points Falaise Ensemble
Lingua Ignota
AEAEA
Weyes Blood

FRIDAY
Richard Dawson
Arthur Verocai
Iosonouncane
Jessica Pratt

SATURDAY
Maria del Mar Bonet (confirmed)
Jenny Hval (confirmed)
The Caretaker
Mavis Staples

Would love to see Jessica Pratt in the Auditori but really hoping for an outdoor Sunset slot for Mavis Staples - Rayban Stage - that would be awesome.

12 minutes ago, Gnarler said:

Agree SOOOO much. She would put on an unforgettable show. Perfect crossover for indie heads and pop heads to indulge.

Yeah, agree. Guess you can’t have it all though.

I counted 6 acts I would want to see at Gov Ball.

There’s more than that I want to see just on the first day of Primavera...

17 minutes ago, Gnarler said:

Agree SOOOO much. She would put on an unforgettable show. Perfect crossover for indie heads and pop heads to indulge.

Missy was the only headliner which wasn't leaked to CoS. I think that both Gov Ball and Prima tried to get her, and perhaps that was the reason both festivals had a delay. It was the last domino brick to fall.

Some obs so far from the bands I hadn't listened to before. 

Little Simz and Sampa The Great got flow.
Big Freedia sounds like a great party (former collab with Lizzo)
Otoboke Beaver sounds like an awesome Japanese Pop Punk party
Since Nine Inch Nails isn't here i'll take Agoraphobia (who after first listen are pretty good imo)
Beck is not as bad as I thought (I had americana like from Loser era in my head but now he's super funky)

Kacey Musgraves is a delight. 

King Gizz is a party
Caribou is a god (ok i listened to him before)

OM is interesting for those who like slowed down stoner rock. 
Crudo Pimento is one I would like to see how they replicate their sound live. 

I've gone through the lineup, it's been an interesting run. It def feels more on the female side. There's a lot of filler bands (of both sexes), some bad female solo pop artists. Noticed there was fair bit for the shoegazers out there (if you're willing to delve into spanish bands.

I reckon out of the headliners i'm most excited to hear IGOR in almost full from Tyler. 
Caught Strokes at EP last year and based on that will be happy to see again. 

Happy hunting and enjoy the aural journey x

Edit: Way way too much Reggaeton.

Edited by Rico_Pliskin
  • Upvote 2