Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

12 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Arcade Fire doing a special show 'in the round' - and with 10 minutes notice in a specially constructed stage in a part of the festival that had never been used before - pretty amazing too. Tiny audience by their standards.

we were the last people let through the gates for that - it was mind blowing, with the sunset behind the smoke stacks behind them.

Also shout out to bon iver closing with skinny love under just a single spot light, fka twigs from last year, ezra furman covering kate Bush, and of course Antony and the Johnsons

Edited by mnkypzzl
C

In my utter mania waiting for the release I've started thinking about albums celebrating their 20th birthday this summer, as potential special headliners:

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica 

Radiohead - Kid A

Outkast - Stankonia

Godspeed! - Lift Your Skinny Fists 

Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun

Right I'm done dreaming someone pls put me out of my misery and categorically rule all of these out thanks

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

That's good enough for me.

Line up out next week, then. Thank phuk...

I would that with a grain of salt, honestly. I can see her liking the tweet simply because she actually is playing Prima and not because it is one of her three announcements for this week. 

Hoping for the best tho! 

7 minutes ago, mnkypzzl said:

In my utter mania waiting for the release I've started thinking about albums celebrating their 20th birthday this summer, as potential special headliners:

D'Angelo - Voodoo

Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbest

Ryan Adams- Heartbreaker  

Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile ( Actually it's from 99.. But I would kill to see Trent perform this album in entirety. LOL)

7 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

I would that with a grain of salt, honestly. I can see her liking the tweet simply because she actually is playing Prima and not because it is one of her three announcements for this week. 

Hoping for the best tho! 

Primavera would be the most prestigious festival she's ever been booked for.

Definitely got-some-big-news-to-share-with-you-worthy and surely one of the 3 announcements.

We are on.

27 minutes ago, mnkypzzl said:

Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica 

Radiohead - Kid A

Outkast - Stankonia

Godspeed! - Lift Your Skinny Fists 

Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun

Right I'm done dreaming someone pls put me out of my misery and categorically rule all of these out thanks

I'm hoping for them to put ThunderCat and Modest Mouse on the same bill (best not sharing the same stage, mind).

3 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

This is all well and good but you've made these judgments almost entirely off your personal, subjective opinion and nothing else. Having attended in 2018 I personally can confirm that I'm far more excited for the likes of Pavement and Tyler than I was for ASAP or Migos. It's a bit bizarre to even be comparing some of those acts. Pitting Pavement and ASAP against each other is bonkers.

Additionally all this debate of who is ''bigger'' is redundant. If we want the biggest names then we would probably not attend Primavera Sound. As others have mentioned, we go for the curation, the attention to detail and the strength of the WHOLE line up, not just the top couple lines, although of course occasionally they pull of some huge acts. For me, the experience at a festival is much better when people go for the whole line up, as apposed to one or two big names e.g Arctic Monkeys.

I know that the wait for this line up is proving very tedious but people really do need to relax a bit. If you' end up disappointed by the line up or size of the acts when its announced then you have the ability to attend another festival!

I think you got my point wrong: I wasn't speaking in terms of personal tastes but rather in terms of objective size of the acts and, ultimately, their appeal to a 2020 primavera audience. 
Primavera can't just rely on Pavement diehard fans; they also need something that is (and will be in 2020) new, fresh and that will draw in the casual-to-pitchfork-reader part of the crowd. Without Frank Ocean this set of headliners doesn't seem surprising enough for the standards of a festival that has often relied on curiosity. 
The impact of the releases by Tyler and Lana will have got lower by next summer; furthermore, Tyler has already played there in 2018, as the National (who definitely are a "conservative" booking). The same goes for Massive Attack. I guess half of the people who go at Primavera have already caught them live. The Strokes have already played in 2015 and I head it was bad. Pavement live are, maybe, the freshest act this edition is selling, which is paradoxical. To sum up, if I wouldn't be aware of how great Pavement are (and I bet that a large part of the "new normal"/millennial type of crowd, aren't) I wouldn't buy the ticket. Finally, I agree on the fact that PS is great because of their general curation, but you don't sell tickets just with that. Given these assumptions, I was deducing that they have to give us something else. 

Yeah right without all mighy frank ocean they can shut down festival...I didn't even know who frank ocean is until all this debate started and then when I check it on youtube I didnt understand hype but then again I found that music boring and dull in the same basket with kanye west and rest of drama queens  and dont think people outisde od US really give shit for him

• Downvote 4

2 hours ago, whos3000 said:

I think you got my point wrong: I wasn't speaking in terms of personal tastes but rather in terms of objective size of the acts and, ultimately, their appeal to a 2020 primavera audience. 
Primavera can't just rely on Pavement diehard fans; they also need something that is (and will be in 2020) new, fresh and that will draw in the casual-to-pitchfork-reader part of the crowd. Without Frank Ocean this set of headliners doesn't seem surprising enough for the standards of a festival that has often relied on curiosity. 
The impact of the releases by Tyler and Lana will have got lower by next summer; furthermore, Tyler has already played there in 2018, as the National (who definitely are a "conservative" booking). The same goes for Massive Attack. I guess half of the people who go at Primavera have already caught them live. The Strokes have already played in 2015 and I head it was bad. Pavement live are, maybe, the freshest act this edition is selling, which is paradoxical. To sum up, if I wouldn't be aware of how great Pavement are (and I bet that a large part of the "new normal"/millennial type of crowd, aren't) I wouldn't buy the ticket. Finally, I agree on the fact that PS is great because of their general curation, but you don't sell tickets just with that. Given these assumptions, I was deducing that they have to give us something else. 

Tyler having played in 2018 doesn't mean shit for 2020, given that IGOR was massive and that this summer will be his first mainland Europe appearance in support of it.

36 minutes ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Haru Nemuri is on tour at that time next year, it would be great to have whole band this time...that would be something not fucking frank ocean

Have been reading this forum for years but just made an account to call you a try hard, contrarian w*nker. We get it. Take the down votes as a hint. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Also, cheers for the years of entertainment, rumours and insight troops. Been every year since 2014. Tickets bought this year for Pavement and everything else a bonus but expecting another belter as always. 

I was also in the lineup teaser video with the people reacting a couple years ago...

Was fun to read your reactions to it 😂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

By the way, I really hope The Twilight Sad plays this year. AFAIK they are not touring and I realize they last played in 2018, but their 2019 album was super solid.

#metoo! Been touring heavily last few years, but they would love it. In 2018 they came in late after some band cancelled, so hopefully their name will be on the poster for the first time since doing a truly great double in 2014.

Utterly brilliant live. 

1 hour ago, SwallowOrSleepOnTheWetSpot said:

By the way, I really hope The Twilight Sad plays this year. AFAIK they are not touring and I realize they last played in 2018, but their 2019 album was super solid.

The Twilight Sad are playing deer shed festival, which means they’re on the festival circuit. Given Prima picked them up (and the show went down so well, they debuted their Keep Yourself Warm cover) I think they’re very likely for this year on the It Won/t Be Like This All the Time tour, would love a late night Ray-Ban slot for them.

• Like 1