Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

8 minutes ago, neacaisa said:

i don't get why frank ocean is such a big rumor:

- no european dates

- he doesn't like touring

- in past years it always have been a strong statement that gabi won't book him again after pulling out

Yeah, I guess you got a point here.

I think the rumors started when everyone thought they are waiting for Coachella to announce him first and then we'll get it, but seems they were not waiting for Coachella.

And as for the Frank-Bjork debate- in 2017 he was about to headline, being the biggest name on his day. In 2018 Bjorl was written on top row, but she actually subed that day to Nick Cave.

I'd take Bjork over him every day, but noone seems yo ask me, so Id say he's bigger name today

2 minutes ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Yeah, I guess you got a point here.

I think the rumors started when everyone thought they are waiting for Coachella to announce him first and then we'll get it, but seems they were not waiting for Coachella.

And as for the Frank-Bjork debate- in 2017 he was about to headline, being the biggest name on his day. In 2018 Bjorl was written on top row, but she actually subed that day to Nick Cave.

I'd take Bjork over him every day, but noone seems yo ask me, so Id say he's bigger name today

I think we are officially waiting for Rolling Loud Europe now 😁

1 minute ago, diogozsz said:

Wasn't the Frank Ocean cancellation due to some production issues? I remember reading that somewhere. 

Yeah he had that 360° Sound system which wasn't finished in time and turned out quite disappointing at thos gigs where he actually performed.

I am definitely not sure about him playing. As I said, the aforementioned acts we pretty much know are playing, look pretty huge even without him.

Edited by Quadrophobia

7 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Yeah he had that 360° Sound system which wasn't finished in time and turned out quite disappointing at thos gigs where he actually performed.

I am definitely not sure about him playing. As I said, the aforementioned acts we pretty much know are playing, look pretty huge even without him.

How many of those gigs did you attend? I thought the production was insane when I saw him. 

I still don’t actually really expect him here though tbh. 

5 minutes ago, fartnugget said:

How many of those gigs did you attend? I thought the production was insane when I saw him. 

I still don’t actually really expect him here though tbh. 

Unfourtunately none. I heard almost exclusively complaints though, because not everyone in the crowd could get into the 360° area. Since the sound was optimized for that, those listening in the back through line arrays, seemed to have had awful sound, because the line arrays were not fitting for the 360 sound production. 
The one friend who was up front was pleased though. Thinking about it I'd probably rephrase it as "turned out to have a downside" or smth.

Edited by Quadrophobia

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

I think the opposite is true, tbh. Without a big name such as Frank Ocean this year's line up looks way too poor. 

The Strokes (given they will be there and I hope they won't) <AM 

Lana =< nick cave 

Massive attack <Bjork 

The national 2020 <<<<the national 2018 

I would say Tyler 2020 =migos in 2018 

Pavement 2020<asap rocky 2018 

Bad bunny < lorde? 

Given the steady growth of the festival in the last years, wouldn't they store an higher budget for 2020 than for 2018?

This + the wait for Coachella + Gabi spoiling it - - - > I would say he's the most likely among the big names we can bet on

Edited by whos3000

21 minutes ago, whos3000 said:

I think the opposite is true, tbh. Without a big name such as Frank Ocean this year's line up looks way too poor. 

The Strokes (given they will be there and I hope they won't) <AM 

Lana =< nick cave 

Massive attack <Bjork 

The national 2020 <<<<the national 2018 

I would say Tyler 2020 =migos in 2018 

Pavement 2020<asap rocky 2018 

Bad bunny < lorde? 

Given the steady growth of the festival in the last years, wouldn't they store an higher budget for 2020 than for 2018?

This is all well and good but you've made these judgments almost entirely off your personal, subjective opinion and nothing else. Having attended in 2018 I personally can confirm that I'm far more excited for the likes of Pavement and Tyler than I was for ASAP or Migos. It's a bit bizarre to even be comparing some of those acts. Pitting Pavement and ASAP against each other is bonkers.

Additionally all this debate of who is ''bigger'' is redundant. If we want the biggest names then we would probably not attend Primavera Sound. As others have mentioned, we go for the curation, the attention to detail and the strength of the WHOLE line up, not just the top couple lines, although of course occasionally they pull of some huge acts. For me, the experience at a festival is much better when people go for the whole line up, as apposed to one or two big names e.g Arctic Monkeys.

I know that the wait for this line up is proving very tedious but people really do need to relax a bit. If you' end up disappointed by the line up or size of the acts when its announced then you have the ability to attend another festival!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

This is all well and good but you've made these judgments almost entirely off your personal, subjective opinion and nothing else. Having attended in 2018 I personally can confirm that I'm far more excited for the likes of Pavement and Tyler than I was for ASAP or Migos. It's a bit bizarre to even be comparing some of those acts. Pitting Pavement and ASAP against each other is bonkers.

Additionally all this debate of who is ''bigger'' is redundant. If we want the biggest names then we would probably not attend Primavera Sound. As others have mentioned, we go for the curation, the attention to detail and the strength of the WHOLE line up, not just the top couple lines, although of course occasionally they pull of some huge acts. For me, the experience at a festival is much better when people go for the whole line up, as apposed to one or two big names e.g Arctic Monkeys.

I know that the wait for this line up is proving very tedious but people really do need to relax a bit. If you' end up disappointed by the line up or size of the acts when its announced then you have the ability to attend another festival!

I agree, but the size debate was intended to be more about how far we can go with our speculations, before we drift into the realm of fake line ups where Nirvana, Joy Division and Beethoven reunite.

1 minute ago, Quadrophobia said:

I agree, but the size debate was intended to be more about how far we can go with our speculations, before we drift into the realm of fake line ups where Nirvana, Joy Division and Beethoven reunite.

I'm afraid that Beethoven is playing Mad Cool so I reckon we can rule him out.

Edited by Guy Incognito
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

AMEN!!!. I don't understand the lack of excitement on Pavement, Frickin' Bikini Kill. or the possibility of Massive Attack at the festival. Personally, I take those musician over The Strokes or Frank Ocean.

Agreed. Primavera Sound is not about the big headline. I still remember how Antony and the Johnsons presented breathtaking set with the orchestra as a 2015 headliner.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Bram said:

AMEN!!!. I don't understand the lack of excitement on Pavement, Frickin' Bikini Kill. or the possibility of Massive Attack at the festival. Personally, I take those musician over The Strokes or Frank Ocean.

Agreed. Primavera Sound is not about the big headline. I still remember how Antony and the Johnsons presented breathtaking set with the orchestra as a 2015 headliner.

speaking of breathtaking sets, would you all mind sharing your all time fav primavera gigs? for me it seems that every year gives me a special performance i couldnt have experienced elsewhere. i'd be super glad to hear your best memories! we're spiralling too much into lineup predictions anyway...

10 minutes ago, csence said:

speaking of breathtaking sets, would you all mind sharing your all time fav primavera gigs? for me it seems that every year gives me a special performance i couldnt have experienced elsewhere. i'd be super glad to hear your best memories! we're spiralling too much into lineup predictions anyway...

Close call between Anthony and the Johnsons and PJ Harvey, but PJ is my all-time highlight..

13 minutes ago, csence said:

Toss up between Sufjan Stevens in the auditori (pure magic) and return of Pulp in their first gig in a decade (pure excitement)

Too many others to mention.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, csence said:

Never heard Julien Baker before...and I shed tears during her performance at PS 2016. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, csence said:

Some great memories over the years.

Pissed Jeans at Primavera 2011

Gangsta Boo at the last year's edition.

Both wonderfully obnoxious in very different ways.

In terms of spellbinding performances - probably Codeine at the Porto 2012.