Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

3 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Could the embargo not be for Travis Scott? People seem very quick to rule him out of PS and I'm not sure why. 

I wrote a very long response to this and then the forum crashed... FML

Anyway I'll try again. From what I've heard, it is hard for major Festivals in countries with a strong domestic rap-scene to book American rappers. The reason for that is that those countries where a native language rap scene is very strong (Germany, France, Spain too I guess) also tend to have the playlists dominated by domestic rappers. Since playlists are the major tool of music discovery at the moment for the vast majority and US-Rappers are underrepresented in them, they don't work as good in those countries as in others. Since the production costs of European tours will not be any lower than those of US-Tours, but demand is lower in some countries, it might just not be worthwhile booking them for a lot of festivals. 
This problem even led labels to buy domestic features from German rappers to place them on alternate versions of international rappers' tracks (Cardi B, Stormzy and NAS did that), just to get them featured in the incredibly dominant German rap playlist on Spotify. It might not be such a big problem for acts like Frank Ocean or Tyler, because they always resonated well with audiences beyond rap, but Travis Scott would be a classical rap act for whom I bet this applies.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

I wrote a very long response to this and then the forum crashed... FML

Anyway I'll try again. From what I've heard, it is hard for major Festivals in countries with a strong domestic rap-scene to book American rappers. The reason for that is that those countries where a native language rap scene is very strong (Germany, France, Spain too I guess) also tend to have the playlists dominated by domestic rappers. Since playlists are the major tool of music discovery at the moment for the vast majority and US-Rappers are underrepresented in them, they don't work as good in those countries as in others. Since the production costs of European tours will not be any lower than those of US-Tours, but demand is lower in some countries, it might just not be worthwhile booking them for a lot of festivals. 
This problem even led labels to buy domestic features from German rappers to place them on alternate versions of international rappers' tracks (Cardi B, Stormzy and NAS did that), just to get them featured in the incredibly dominant German rap playlist on Spotify. It might not be such a big problem for acts like Frank Ocean or Tyler, because they always resonated well with audiences beyond rap, but Travis Scott would be a classical rap act for whom I bet this applies.

I understand your point, but I don't totally agree. In the past two years alone, Primavera Sound has booked Migos and Future in prominent slots. A case could definitely be made that Travis Scott is bigger than Migos, and definitely of comparable size to Future so I don't see why Travis couldn't be booked for PS 2020. He's currently at his commercial peak and likely will be touring in the summer.

For the record I must say that I'm not even a big fan of Travis Scott, just think he has a chance of playing.

11 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

I understand your point, but I don't totally agree. In the past two years alone, Primavera Sound has booked Migos and Future in prominent slots. A case could definitely be made that Travis Scott is bigger than Migos, and definitely of comparable size to Future so I don't see why Travis couldn't be booked for PS 2020. He's currently at his commercial peak and likely will be touring in the summer.

For the record I must say that I'm not even a big fan of Travis Scott, just think he has a chance of playing.

Supposedly rumour is on Coachella reddit Travis has injured himself and is questionable to play Coachella.

I hope Travis doesn't play PS. I just don't get the appeal having listened to his top Spotify songs.

2 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Agreed, though Travis is way more expensive than Migos or Future, so that would really be the prohibiting factor.

2 hours ago, kitkat129 said:

We Love Green festival just announced some artists from its lineup, since it's on the same weekend as Primavera I think we can safely assume some of them will be there (Lana Del Rey and Bad Bunny 100%):

image.thumb.png.9874a2395becd9d0b96f15a337189ad9.png

GIZZ ARE BACK! I'm pumped

I think Koffee came up as self confirmed.

Young Thug is also likely according to rumors. Disclosure could return after a 7-year absence. Sampa the Great is great.

2 hours ago, kitkat129 said:

We Love Green festival just announced some artists from its lineup, since it's on the same weekend as Primavera I think we can safely assume some of them will be there (Lana Del Rey and Bad Bunny 100%):

image.thumb.png.9874a2395becd9d0b96f15a337189ad9.png

Pretty poor line up, in my opinion. Am still very hopeful that we get LDR, King Gizzard and Modeselektor though. 

Also, just been listening to Giant Swan and they're another act I'd love to see at Primavera Sound 2020

Edited by Guy Incognito

3 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Pretty poor line up, in my opinion. Am still very hopeful that we get LDR, King Gizzard and Modeselektor though. 

Also, just been listening to Giant Swan and they're another act I'd love to see at Primavera Sound 2020

Modeselektor played 2019.