Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

27 minutes ago, Gnarler said:

Aw thanks man this is really nice. If I'm totally honest I hope I'm wrong and everyone gets a better shock when the lineup comes out. Also I was given no context as to where these names are on the lineup or how many others were next to them. I possibly got a little overzealous when I heard the names so apologies if I got anyone overexcited.

If it means anything, I've been seeing some of the artists I was told popping up on music website with new albums/songs/interviews. I feel pretty confident in the info I was given but someone said it best earlier—we'll find out when we see the poster.

@chilirocker I think Massive Attack makes a lot of sense in terms of a classic kind of Primavera booking in keeping with the festival's "heritage" or "aesthetic". Lack of big headliners isn't a problem unique to Primavera and I expect the line up will be lacking a bit in absolute star power.  Whether they portray this as 50/50 again or "20 for 20" remains to be seen.  It feels to me like Gabi quite enjoys the secrecy and game playing around the line up and to the wider fan they won't be aware of any radio primavera or 10 bands per week stuff.  They will just be expecting the poster in December or January.

2 hours ago, chilirocker said:

I’m going to stick up for @Gnarler here, he has provided the most credible names and given the absolute mess of Gabi’s rollout and Radio Primavera, we don’t really know what is happening re the lineup. The National makes perfect sense, especially given Primavera sitting between their Danish festival and Irish dates and the fact that they missed Barcelona on their current tour, which seems like a massive oversight if they aren’t doing Prima. No one was talking about Massive Attack before and this name has been vindicated with the fact that they are doing a date in Liverpool, as well as a rumoured 2020 European tour to gather data about their emissions before coming up with an environmental solution to touring. 

I think this line up is going to be different somehow. The theme is 20/20, which could mean 20 headliners for the 20th anniversary. Pavement for example are unlikely headliners, on their last tour 10 years ago, they were playing 3-5000 capacity venues, and I know there is the exclusivity factor, but if you compare record sales and venues the other potential headliners like The National, Tyler, Lana and Massive Attack play, Pavement should really be on the second line of the line up. So I don’t think the line up is going to follow the conventions of 2 main acts per day. But @Gnarler seems like the best source we have until the line up drops. 

Good post and fair enough, of course, nothing against Gnarler or anyone who has posted any rumours, it's always nice to discuss these things, if I had received any info about any possible names I would have shared it here too, but it's just better to take anything with a grain of salt these days! 
You guys could be right about Massive Attack, they have never played Primavera if I remember correctly, it's just that their new eco-friendly approach would make me think they don't want to do festivals next year but focus on their 'experiments', starting (?) with that show in Liverpool, which is many months after Primavera, also there are no news about a new album in the making, this could easily change though, we are only in December and they could surprise us with something in the next few months. Still not sure about The National, would have preferred something else, but it could make sense if they bring something special, like playing High Violet in full.

Not happy at all with the communication from Primavera... I guess we just have to be a bit more patient, we will have an announcement from Best Kept Secret this evening, we could get some indications about more possible names.

11 minutes ago, Karl_Mcr said:

I don't think I have seen mention of Portishead here (I checked back to around the time of this article)

https://blitz.pt/principal/update/2019-11-08-Portishead-o-regresso-para-o-Primavera-Sound-2020-

i think gabi more or less ruled them out in his interview a few weeks back, talking about having a 'spy' and the timing not being right or something...

5 minutes ago, diogozsz said:

Gabi said on a radio show today that we'll only get the full lineup after Christmas. 

I take this as a good sign. They have a lineup they are confident in and don’t need to rush out names to compete.

The 2018 lineup came out in January and for years January was the norm.

7 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I take this as a good sign. They have a lineup they are confident in and don’t need to rush out names to compete.

Gabi said that it didn't work out as planned because they are still not finished with the Line-Up so they cancelled the daily confirmations.

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I generally feel like the rush to publish acts in the last couple of years really affects quality negatively. Seems like sometimes good opportunities are missed by major festivals, because they could only announce a headliner very late, so they don't book them. 

2 hours ago, Createur said:

Gabi said that it didn't work out as planned because they are still not finished with the Line-Up so they cancelled the daily confirmations.

No issue with the festival still tinkering with the line-up and adding acts until an announcement in January - but this is very strange.

Why start the radio drip-feed and pull the plug straight away? Sure, something may have changed (an act cancels?) in the last few days but it seemed a very strange circumstance to start and stop so quickly.

Also re: the National; a lot of people suggesting they might do something different like a High Violet show in full; they are touring a new album from the last time they played. Is that not different enough? It is soon but it's a different album.

They play Belfast and two shows in Rep of Ireland on Saturday to Monday 6-8 June. If they're at Primavera, Thursday would be most likely, so? 

17 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

No issue with the festival still tinkering with the line-up and adding acts until an announcement in January - but this is very strange.

Why start the radio drip-feed and pull the plug straight away? Sure, something may have changed (an act cancels?) in the last few days but it seemed a very strange circumstance to start and stop so quickly.

Also re: the National; a lot of people suggesting they might do something different like a High Violet show in full; they are touring a new album from the last time they played. Is that not different enough? It is soon but it's a different album.

They play Belfast and two shows in Rep of Ireland on Saturday to Monday 6-8 June. If they're at Primavera, Thursday would be most likely, so? 

I was hoping the National would play High Violet, rather than expecting it. Only because I think it is better than the last album. The National have also toured endlessly and so a booking now seems stale.

Agree about the cancellation of drip feeding the names being strange. Can only think they thought it would drive a huge amount of traffic to their radio show and when it didn’t they abandoned it.

Edited by xxialac

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

I was hoping the National would play High Violet, rather than expecting it. Only because I think it is better than the last album. The National have also toured endlessly and so a booking now seems stale.

Agree about the cancellation of drip feeding the names being strange. Can only think they thought it would drive a huge amount of traffic to their radio show and when it didn’t they abandoned it.

I rather think they had some sort of arc planned that was to culminate in the poster. Either some big act canceled or postponed its tour announcement, so the RPS Show would end f.e. mid December and then nothing would happen for another month. Seems more reasonable to cut it off now, than doing that.

The National did Boxer in full  on one of the two nights at Homecoming 2018, then went straight back to normal setlists for the rest of the tour, including at PS.

I'd put it at close to zero the chances of them doing High Violet in full at any other gigs outside Homecoming. The Irish gigs haven't been advertised as HV in full, and are already onsale, so there's basically no chance that they'll do it at PS either, if they play.