Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

41 minutes ago, weeandreww said:

Just for clarification, how likely does everyone believe Frank Ocean is? Trying not to get my hopes up but he’s probably my favourite artist of all time so I’d lose my shit if he was announced.

I think it's possible as there's a new album next year, and he owes Primavera one for cancelling last time. But he's not announced any festivals or any indication that he's even touring, and if he did I think he'd probably ask for a tonne of money. So who knows really.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:46 PM, Gnarler said:

Obviously can't disclose how I got the info but a friend of mine has seen the full lineup and he described it as "well worth getting a ticket". This is, of course, painfully vague information, but at least we know the full poster is ready to go :) I'd expect them to announce a full release date tomorrow. I expect 12th Dec...

6 hours ago, Gnarler said:

Yeah, he used to work there so isn't completely in the know but he was fed some names by an old colleague. So wasn't shown the lineup or anything so doesn't know who's at the top of the bill or what day or anything.

???? ????

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ZXCVBNM said:

Sorry, I'm not really that bothered whether this guy is telling the truth or not he might be, I just remembered that post from the other day....

I just read through this discussion and I agree, "I know a guy who knows a guy who might have heard some news about the lineup although he hasn't actually seen it" does not sound like a reliable source to me, his info might turn out to be correct but I'm very skeptical about these things, it's better to wait for confirmation from the artists or organizers themselves, there are too many fake posters and rumors out there on social media and forums, anyone can invent anything and post it as "real"...

Anyways, I can't really see The National headlining again, I love them but it would be a bit disappointing as they just headlined last year and they are literally everywhere, Massive Attack isn't a very original name either, I saw them live last year and they put on a great show but it would be a bit weird to see them headline Primavera without a new album out (unless they play Mezzanine in full with Elizabeth Fraser, in that case I could maybe imagine it).

Not sure how I feel about this, I'm also a bit disappointed with the lack of communication about the "10 artist/day" thing, it was not handled very well, I don't mind if they want to wait a bit more with the full lineup announcement, I'm sure it will be great but better communication and updates would be appreciated...

7 minutes ago, kitkat129 said:

I just read through this discussion and I agree, "I know a guy who knows a guy who might have heard some news about the lineup although he hasn't actually seen it" does not sound like a reliable source to me, his info might turn out to be correct but I'm very skeptical about these things, it's better to wait for confirmation from the artists or organizers themselves, there are too many fake posters and rumors out there on social media and forums, anyone can invent anything and post it as "real"...

Anyways, I can't really see The National headlining again, I love them but it would be a bit disappointing as they just headlined last year and they are literally everywhere, Massive Attack isn't a very original name either, I saw them live last year and they put on a great show but it would be a bit weird to see them headline Primavera without a new album out (unless they play Mezzanine in full with Elizabeth Fraser, in that case I could maybe imagine it).

Not sure how I feel about this, I'm also a bit disappointed with the lack of communication about the "10 artist/day" thing, it was not handled very well, I don't mind if they want to wait a bit more with the full lineup announcement, I'm sure it will be great but better communication and updates would be appreciated...

It will be 10 years next year since Massive Attack’s last album and previous longest gap between albums was 7 years so can see them releasing a new studio album, maybe to promote tackling the climate emergency.

Edited by xxialac

Just now, xxialac said:

It will be 10 years next year since Massive Attack’s last album and previous longest gap between albums was 7 years so can see them releasing a new studio album, maybe to promote tackling the climate emergency.

They did just announce that they'll be doing a show in Liverpool next year. No date announced yet though. Maybe they will pip Chris Martin to the post and start doing environmentally friendly shows as soon as 2020.

8 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

They did just announce that they'll be doing a show in Liverpool next year. No date announced yet though. Maybe they will pip Chris Martin to the post and start doing environmentally friendly shows as soon as 2020.

Didn’t know that. Makes the rumour even more believable. Could imagine the primavera bookers being attracted to staging a low carbon show as a glimpse into the future.

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Didn’t know that. Makes the rumour even more believable. Could imagine the primavera bookers being attracted to staging a low carbon show as a glimpse into the future.

Stereogum reports that it will take place in October https://www.stereogum.com/2066644/massive-attack-low-carbon-show-liverpool/news/?fbclid=IwAR1IAR9zn6l5-ov57wXYkmhXYRmCKO5OzIHpOHgxrYFBRpTDcEqwISbqYPU

6 hours ago, Orens said:

The National coming back so early, will have to be something else, like an album show. Perhaps celebrating a decade to High Violet? 

they have a new album out since they last played, and are touring that.

although I find it hard to believe that they'll be back 2 years after last headlining, regardless of what they play...

15 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

although I find it hard to believe that they'll be back 2 years after last headlining, regardless of what they play...

Pretty sure Tame Impala were back headlining 2 years after headlining, so it’s very unusual but not completely unprecedented.

14 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Pretty sure Tame Impala were back headlining 2 years after headlining, so it’s very unusual but not completely unprecedented.

They were here 2016 and 2019 so thats three years. Also they arguably grew in those three years, whilst the National have not made another leap foward. They'd cetainly have to be amongst the highest billing acts again, but I'd agree they'd have to put up something special to make it sell tickets.

6 hours ago, ZXCVBNM said:

Sorry, I'm not really that bothered whether this guy is telling the truth or not he might be, I just remembered that post from the other day....

No worries. I get nothing out of giving you guys this info. Just wanted to share as it was fed to me because I've been using this forum for 3 years.

Originally he didn't give me any names and just told me it was worth it. Then eventually I got the names he knew but he admitted he hadn't actually seen the full thing.

Like I said, take it all with a pinch of salt as I'm just some guy on the internet claiming to know names.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quadrophobia said:

They were here 2016 and 2019 so thats three years. Also they arguably grew in those three years, whilst the National have not made another leap foward. They'd cetainly have to be amongst the highest billing acts again, but I'd agree they'd have to put up something special to make it sell tickets.

Ah you’re right, my mistake.

3 hours ago, Quadrophobia said:

Adding onto this, Tame Impala were headlining Coachella, Lollapalooza, Pukkelpop sized events this year.

Even having Solange this year as a headliner didn't seem bizarre because her profile had grown and she wasn't the main headliner in 2017 - Bon Iver, Slayer and Aphex Twin were the bigger drawcards the day Solange played. 

14 hours ago, jannybruck said:

I think it's possible as there's a new album next year, and he owes Primavera one for cancelling last time. But he's not announced any festivals or any indication that he's even touring, and if he did I think he'd probably ask for a tonne of money. So who knows really.

Gabi said he's concluding his US tour in Coachella, so there's an indication he is touring (even from Primavera's POV)

8 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

That's why I think of a Euro High Violet concert, which they will perform overseas a month earlier. Has to be something else.

I’m going to stick up for @Gnarler here, he has provided the most credible names and given the absolute mess of Gabi’s rollout and Radio Primavera, we don’t really know what is happening re the lineup. The National makes perfect sense, especially given Primavera sitting between their Danish festival and Irish dates and the fact that they missed Barcelona on their current tour, which seems like a massive oversight if they aren’t doing Prima. No one was talking about Massive Attack before and this name has been vindicated with the fact that they are doing a date in Liverpool, as well as a rumoured 2020 European tour to gather data about their emissions before coming up with an environmental solution to touring. 

I think this line up is going to be different somehow. The theme is 20/20, which could mean 20 headliners for the 20th anniversary. Pavement for example are unlikely headliners, on their last tour 10 years ago, they were playing 3-5000 capacity venues, and I know there is the exclusivity factor, but if you compare record sales and venues the other potential headliners like The National, Tyler, Lana and Massive Attack play, Pavement should really be on the second line of the line up. So I don’t think the line up is going to follow the conventions of 2 main acts per day. But @Gnarler seems like the best source we have until the line up drops. 

56 minutes ago, chilirocker said:

I’m going to stick up for @Gnarler here, he has provided the most credible names and given the absolute mess of Gabi’s rollout and Radio Primavera, we don’t really know what is happening re the lineup. The National makes perfect sense, especially given Primavera sitting between their Danish festival and Irish dates and the fact that they missed Barcelona on their current tour, which seems like a massive oversight if they aren’t doing Prima. No one was talking about Massive Attack before and this name has been vindicated with the fact that they are doing a date in Liverpool, as well as a rumoured 2020 European tour to gather data about their emissions before coming up with an environmental solution to touring. 

I think this line up is going to be different somehow. The theme is 20/20, which could mean 20 headliners for the 20th anniversary. Pavement for example are unlikely headliners, on their last tour 10 years ago, they were playing 3-5000 capacity venues, and I know there is the exclusivity factor, but if you compare record sales and venues the other potential headliners like The National, Tyler, Lana and Massive Attack play, Pavement should really be on the second line of the line up. So I don’t think the line up is going to follow the conventions of 2 main acts per day. But @Gnarler seems like the best source we have until the line up drops. 

Aw thanks man this is really nice. If I'm totally honest I hope I'm wrong and everyone gets a better shock when the lineup comes out. Also I was given no context as to where these names are on the lineup or how many others were next to them. I possibly got a little overzealous when I heard the names so apologies if I got anyone overexcited.

If it means anything, I've been seeing some of the artists I was told popping up on music website with new albums/songs/interviews. I feel pretty confident in the info I was given but someone said it best earlier—we'll find out when we see the poster.