Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

18 minutes ago, ConfidenceMan said:

Angel Olsen, Peggy Gou and Phoebe Bridgers announced for Mad Cool - out of the running here so? 

Lost a huge chunk of the list of acts I wanted to see in the last two days! :(

No doubt PS will still have plenty to keep me interested, though.

I don't think there was a chance Peggy Gou would play for the 3rd straight year. Yet, there's already a good amount of crossover between Mad Cool and BBK/FiB.

The thing is, I thought Angel Olsen's January gigs in Barcelona+Madrid are yet to sell out, so the whole MC thing caught me off guard.

4 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Surprised about Angel Olsen. Seems BBK/Mad Cool are really pushing hard to poach acts that might normally be a given for Primavera.

I hear you but she played 2 years ago. Noticable that literally all the names announced yesterday hadn't played Primavera in recent years which points to a freshness about the new lineup.

1 hour ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

Also the continued lack of Thom Yorke at any other festivals is getting me incredibly hopeful he'll be at Primavera. 

He's at Roskilde.

edit: I think you mean Spanish festival, my bad

Edited by alan_ts

10 hours ago, JedTheHumanoid said:

Well, if they say the purpose of this is to give them the attention they won't get when the headliners are publish, they should give them the exposure now...

Like this it seems that they seek exposure to their radio more than anything

agreed, no mention of the acts on their social media, so basically no exposure for them. most people don't read forums/reddit/etc, so will have no idea who the acts were.

pretty shit way of announcing the lineup. hopefully the poster comes out long before they go through weeks of 10 acts every few days....

Haim just leaked The Strokes as one of the missing Mad Cool heads so I guess they are out.

971800829_WhatsAppImage2019-11-29at21_20_30.thumb.jpeg.17ac6f06d49ccf337bcb1f9615d42bd3.jpeg

In other news: I really don't understand the hate against the radio announcement. They put in an effort to put up an extraordinary way to announce bands, they yield attention to smaller artists and they apparently devote a lot of time to this. 
I love the poster and who you're overwhelmed of all the great artists at once, but I find the radio announcements give depth and background information (even with my poor Spanish). It amazes me how festivals like Mad Cool are praised here for doing a Facebook post every day at noon and Primavera is met with spite for choosing a less boring and slightly anarchic method of announcement. In the end, the artists will be the same, no matter how they're announced and the arrogance some people put up here is pretty annoying.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Haim just leaked The Strokes as one of the missing Mad Cool heads so I guess they are out.

971800829_WhatsAppImage2019-11-29at21_20_30.thumb.jpeg.17ac6f06d49ccf337bcb1f9615d42bd3.jpeg

In other news: I really don't understand the hate against the radio announcement. They put in an effort to put up an extraordinary way to announce bands, they yield attention to smaller artists and they apparently devote a lot of time to this. 
I love the poster and who you're overwhelmed of all the great artists at once, but I find the radio announcements give depth and background information (even with my poor Spanish). It amazes me how festivals like Mad Cool are praised here for doing a Facebook post every day at noon and Primavera is met with spite for choosing a less boring and slightly anarchic method of announcement. In the end, the artists will be the same, no matter how they're announced and the arrogance some people put up here is pretty annoying.

Straw man argument.

Festivals like Mad Cool are not praised here for doing a Facebook post every day at noon.

Disliking the slow drip feed radio announcements is neither reflective of ‘hate’ or ‘arrogance’.

Edited by xxialac

9 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

To me, it's clear that Primavera has to wait a bit on the poster, so they found a way to share the news they are able to without jeopardizing the annual poster release ceremony. In the meantime, we'll get 40-50 acts a week until the poster's release.

Sucks that we have to wait, but I hope we'll get it before Christmas.

• Upvote 2

It is just bad marketing strategy and they had already bad one last year where they didnt sell good, mad cool is one month after primavera and they have already announced big part of line up ( all headliners with Strokes leak)  and those two festivals are competitive and Primavera is doing everything they can to lose 

• Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

It is just bad marketing strategy and they had already bad one last year where they didnt sell good, mad cool is one month after primavera and they have already announced big part of line up ( all headliners with Strokes leak)  and those two festivals are competitive and Primavera is doing everything they can to lose 

Primavera is an established festival with a large fan base internationally that honours it's many adavantages and a also a very recognized brand in the festival universe. Mad Cool is a pretty standard festival (which isn't necessary a bad thing) that has just burned huge amount of money the last couple of years to pull in masses of large scale Headliners. Primavera sells more than just its line up and is not solely dependend on it, whilst Mad Cool couldn't afford a bad year. There is no way Mad Cool is profitable with their price/line up relation and the vast amount of big names is just a hard push into the market. Primavera simply does not need that sort of marketing to activate its core fan base, which is generally patient enough for the line up drop. Its not like Primavera 2019 failed horribly, it just didn't sell out completely. Its not bad marketing, but simply two festivals in completely different position. And from someone working in brand communications: Primavera is a far more recognizable brand than Mad Cool, because of the attached uniqueness, mysticism (related amongst other to their style of announcements) and clever adaption of pop culture.

And that Strokes leak wasn't done by accident...there is no such thing such is accident in marketing world...and primavera always trying to be the coolest one the biggest hip is just bad in it...

Is this a joke? Mad Cool will certainly not have had HAIM leak that poster against The Strokes' wishes. the right time of a tour announcement can be crucial for sales and a leak can mean severe damage to the entire tour annoucement, so The Strokes' management will be more than unhappy about their plans for a European tour being leaked. If they found out a festival comissioned this, they'd sue them for breach of contract.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, n=Nowheretohide said:

Kodak was too but it didnt adapt and now is thing of the past...and Nikon is also going that way..as is Primavera if they dont change something soon

So, your not being content with the festivals "marketing" strategy, into which you have no insight whatsoever, is the reason a long-standing festival, that just expanded its brand internationally, is supposed to go down? Seems legit.

Edited by Quadrophobia
  • Like 1

Guessing that Rage Against The Machine is the big name causing the delay to the full line up. (Spain exclusive as BBK and Mad Cool look a bit full). Seem to remember something about 5 reformed 'indie' bands this year; Could be RATM, Pavement, Devo and Bauhaus plus 1. More interesting is, if the excellent New Normal initiative continues, there will need to be 4 female 'headline' acts. Lana del Rey seems to be one but who else? Missy Elliott, please, but are Kacy Musgraves (?) and Sleater Kinney top line? Anyway, with Pavement, Bikini Kill and Kim Gordon already there, I'm very happy. Mad Cool is soulless, just booking anyone around in the summer and BBK is up that hill. Siempre Primavera.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1