Primavera Sound 2020

FloorFiller

21 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm considering doing my first Primavera next year and personally very happy with Bikini Kill, Mavis Staples and Massive Attack as a start. But how does that square with this?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/28/tour-world-massive-attack-band-climate

It's easier to travel via more environmentally friendly routes in Europe as opposed to North America due to its vastness. Bands the size of MA would also normally tour their our own PA which is practically another truck on the road which they won't require at festivals. It's generally more eco-friendly to hit a few festivals in Europe as opposed to doing a full tour (subject to routing) 

Arena level bands with massive productions are huge carbon emitters. I've worked with Kiss and my god do they tour a hideous amount of stuff (multiple trucks, buses, pyrotechnics, private vehicles, aicraft etc) It's also going to be a hard catch-22 on artists, especially smaller acts, as touring really is currently the only viable way of generating sustainable income. Bands like Massive Attack can afford to take a few years off that would just cripple others. Ultimately they do still need/want to make money and I hope they and others continue to use their platforms to push for real change in a very wasteful industry.

Long-story short, - expect gig/festival tickets to continue to rise in price. 

Enjoy your first Primavera should you chose to go! It's one of the most diverse and excellent festivals around. 

3 minutes ago, DDave said:

Me too. Boring as fuck, and it was a free ticket as well.

Happy to give them another chance, assuming they don't have a hissy fit and not play.

Massive Attack have played over 1,000 gigs and there only seems to be one recorded instance of them having "a hissy fit". It doesn't point to unreliability.

To me this suggests that they might have had valid reasons. Who knows what really went on behind the scenes at Mad Cool when we only have Mad Cool's version of events? 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, festivalguy97 said:

Kendrick is playing BBK, can we still count him in or?

Yeah, what about this? I guess he's out.
Massive Attack, Chromatics and Tyler, of course...all good. But look at what happened with Camp Flog Gnaw. If they can't count Frank Ocean they will definitely suffer the competition, with Kendrick around in July

Any idea of some of the lower acts on the BBK line-up might cross over?

Was hoping for:

Caribou, Four Tet, Hinds, Kelly Lee Owens, Slowthai, Murder Capital, Rapture, Whitney

Thought some of these were likely with All Points East but should I discount them now they've been announced for BBK?

10 minutes ago, Han-Tyumi said:

It's easier to travel via more environmentally friendly routes in Europe as opposed to North America due to its vastness. Bands the size of MA would also normally tour their our own PA which is practically another truck on the road which they won't require at festivals. It's generally more eco-friendly to hit a few festivals in Europe as opposed to doing a full tour (subject to routing) 

Arena level bands with massive productions are huge carbon emitters. I've worked with Kiss and my god do they tour a hideous amount of stuff (multiple trucks, buses, pyrotechnics, private vehicles, aicraft etc) It's also going to be a hard catch-22 on artists, especially smaller acts, as touring really is currently the only viable way of generating sustainable income. Bands like Massive Attack can afford to take a few years off that would just cripple others. Ultimately they do still need/want to make money and I hope they and others continue to use their platforms to push for real change in a very wasteful industry.

Long-story short, - expect gig/festival tickets to continue to rise in price. 

Enjoy your first Primavera should you chose to go! It's one of the most diverse and excellent festivals around. 

Yeah that makes sense. I suppose they wouldn't even need to fly, could get the train/drive.

And thanks! Have always fancied it, but usually Glastonbury means I can't afford it. Not having a ticket has freed me up to explore other avenues somewhat!

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

The organization will release the line up every day (except weekend) via Radio Primavera, about ten artists per day. The purpose of this is to encourage listeners to discover artists of all levels.

Artists confirmed (Nov 28):

• Chromatics
  • Bikini Kill
  • Lorena Álvarez
  • María del Mar Bonet (Auditori)
  • La Favi (El Punto Stage)
  • Les Amazones D'Afrique
  • Sudan Archives
  • Park Hye Jin
  • Mavis Staples
  • Jenny Hval (Auditori)
  • Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)

NEXT CONFIRMATIONS DAY: December 2

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xxialac said:

Ah that's fantastic, was disappointed to miss her this year.

Would be very surprised to see her next year. I happened to be in Tokyo for work a month ago and managed to see her (again!), and when I chatted to her after the gig, she said that she wanted to play Europe again but she's focusing on the US for next year. If you check her Facebook, she's appearing at SWSX and trying to line up more gigs there.

6 minutes ago, Orens said:

I put up a list in with confirmed/rumored acts, will obviously update it when needed:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vKtCoiIiQc8GlCZ3ONwtbuMYe725vjy_haKv2lWhBpw/edit?usp=sharing

FKA Twigs, Forest Swords, Georgia, Bicep all allegedly doing All Points East as well and not announced for BBK if you want to add them in.

Edited by jannybruck

Pleased with this start. Would definitely try and see Kim Gordon, Jenny Hval, Bikini Kill, Mavis Staples and Les Amazones D'Afrique. I saw Jenny Hval and Sudan Archives at Le Guess Who? earlier this month and both were great. 

With regards to Massive Attack, it's not much of a WOW booking but they were very good when I saw them at Brighton Dome a few months ago. 

Do hope they announce some more electronic-y names early on so I can get excited. Underworld were fantastic at Prima a few years ago, Forest Swords has killed it at Sonar a couple of times and Bicep would be great on the Ray Ban stage.

Caribou and Floating Points are almost definite I think. Massive Attack would be a good vibe and probably a strong ticket seller.

I managed to see Massive Attack during their 2016 tour in Berlin and thought it was one of the most boring, self indulgent concerts I'd been to in recent memory.

I'm definitely not opposed to seeing them again because it may have been a bad night but I agree with everyone in it's not a 'WOW I NEED TO BE THERE' headliner.

Think it's a good start.

Given that we now know the nature of the lineup announcement they wouldn't exactly go all guns blazing on the first one, plus Jenny Hval & Kim Gordon are good bookings, Mavis Staples will be great in a festival setting & a few others that I've never heard of look promising.

23 minutes ago, Martin_89 said:

Where is the info that it's no announcements tomorrow? 

Bottom of first paragraph, " More confirmations of PS 2020, next Monday, December 2 via the same station."

https://www.binaural.es/noticias/kim-gordon-lidera-las-11-nuevas-confirmaciones-del-primavera-sound-2020/

Edited by Karl_Mcr
  • Upvote 1