Where's the Reggae?

RedSZ

5 minutes ago, RedSZ said:

I've seen some great reggae acts at the festival - Toots, Lee Perry, Congos but this year I can't spot anything apart from some sound systems.  Is there a stage I've missed whilst browsing?

Hollie cook is good

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, RedSZ said:

I've seen some great reggae acts at the festival - Toots, Lee Perry, Congos but this year I can't spot anything apart from some sound systems.  Is there a stage I've missed whilst browsing?

Saturday on Gully Blues is prob yer best bet, but it is a wee bit light this year. Babylon Uprising as well if you like it a bit dub heavy

Heds Party have a Trojan Takeover on the Thursday, that’s probably the best you’re going to get. I must admit I don’t even know where this is exactly.

Hollie Cook was good fun at Bearded last week, light reggae. Truth is there’s not much in the way of new reggae bands around, to my knowledge 

2 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Heds Party have a Trojan Takeover on the Thursday, that’s probably the best you’re going to get. I must admit I don’t even know where this is exactly.

I saw that, and am aiming to go. It's in Silver Hayes.

Just now, Jah_Roots said:

the Kingston bit's fine, but can do without the Havana bit.

I love the Kingston bit, and I love the Havana bit.  Together I found it difficult, they left me a bit 'meh, neither one thing or the other.  Was  talking about the lack of reggae yesterday, actually there's a lack of a lot of things for me this year.  My problem I know. ?

17 hours ago, Jah_Roots said:

it is absolutely completely and totally shite for reggae this year.

yay - lets all go and enjoy a generous 2 hours at Channel One! 

great.

agreed! channel one will be my festival highlight

Hollie Cook is brilliant and well worth a watch, perfect sunday booking - and seems to be a good bit of jungle but generally a bit disappointing!

Edited by grilladelphia

8 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

yes - but it should be 6 hours not 2.

I was hoping for some sort of sound system clash day really, I guess as a bit of a Boomtown veteran I've gotten used to having so much to choose from - they always have something like a 6 hour jah shaka street party

6 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

I was hoping for some sort of sound system clash day really, I guess as a bit of a Boomtown veteran I've gotten used to having so much to choose from - they always have something like a 6 hour jah shaka street party

And Tangled Roots stage - amazing sound system, great DJs.

As above, the Thursday on Clash Stage looks OK, and it looks pretty dancehall from midnight Saturday as well.

18 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

there is absolutely NOTHING that compares to being at a dance with a real soundsystem - it literally feels like the molecules of your body are being re-arranged!

i try to explain what its like to my friends (none of which particularly like dub / reaggae) but i just can't really adequately put it into words. 

Agreed - I've tried to explain Iration Steppas Sub Dub @ West Indian Centre to people but its something you have to experience to believe, gets so loud that it goes silent! (which ive never experienced elsewhere!)

22 minutes ago, Jah_Roots said:

there is absolutely NOTHING that compares to being at a dance with a real soundsystem - it literally feels like the molecules of your body are being re-arranged!

i try to explain what its like to my friends (none of which particularly like dub / reaggae) but i just can't really adequately put it into words. 

the soundsystems at St Pauls Carnival make my eyeballs rattle.