CV East Arrival Times

Wondermum

We’ve always played the the book and timed our arrival for around midday on the Tuesday for CV East. However this year we’re not hindered by those pesky things called employers and we’re able to amble down the motorway at a much more leisurely pace. Thinking of leaving Monday evening then parking up in a lay-by when we feel tired. Will all the lay-bys near the site be closed off to prevent fools such as us clogging the roads? Friends are of the opinion that if we rock up early the stewards will move us off the local roads on to a waiting field, but I’m not so sure. 

1 hour ago, Wondermum said:

We’ve always played the the book and timed our arrival for around midday on the Tuesday for CV East. However this year we’re not hindered by those pesky things called employers and we’re able to amble down the motorway at a much more leisurely pace. Thinking of leaving Monday evening then parking up in a lay-by when we feel tired. Will all the lay-bys near the site be closed off to prevent fools such as us clogging the roads? Friends are of the opinion that if we rock up early the stewards will move us off the local roads on to a waiting field, but I’m not so sure. 

What would you see as the benefit.?

I note you are in Essex, so i assume like me that you have to negotiate the M25.? Monday evening could be a better drive than Tuesday morning but you still have to avoid rush hour.. So then you dont set off until 8pm? with possibly a 5 hour drive ahead. Then, after you have set yourself up (dont know if you are campervan or caravan?),  you sleep in your van on the A303 at Mere (big lay-bys where i meet up with friends before convoy) and hope that you dont get moved on or find that lorries have taken all the space...

There is another thread in Questions somewhere that talks about what time Tuesday they realistically let you in... (9-10am seemed acceptable / 6-7am appeared to be taking the piss and you could just be told to keep moving..presumably back to your lay-by), so you are likely to be ligging about Tuesday am...

So assuming you are in by 9am... If you are in 'Quiet' there really isnt a tremendous difference being in E20 to E19 or E23 from the walking perspective.. If you are in 'General' you could be furthest west in E18 but i wouldnt want to be  near those really busy toilets... Luck of the draw later as to whether you end up furthest east in E16 or furthest west in E14 (by the crossing) as they park up in the easiest way to park you, not necessarily closest space first..

Alternatively, get an early night Monday.. Have a decent kip in your own bed.. Get up at sparrows fart and leave at 5:30am, still missing the rush hour mostly.. Stop for breakfast at the top of the M3.. Get on site for midday and still be 4 ciders in by the middle of the afternoon ???

Everyone to their own of course and i have absolutely considered doing this.. before realising it is really just Glastonbury FOMO.

Whatever you decide. Have a great festival.!

On 6/1/2019 at 3:28 PM, BlueDaze said:

What would you see as the benefit.?

I note you are in Essex, so i assume like me that you have to negotiate the M25.? Monday evening could be a better drive than Tuesday morning but you still have to avoid rush hour.. So then you dont set off until 8pm? with possibly a 5 hour drive ahead. Then, after you have set yourself up (dont know if you are campervan or caravan?),  you sleep in your van on the A303 at Mere (big lay-bys where i meet up with friends before convoy) and hope that you dont get moved on or find that lorries have taken all the space...

There is another thread in Questions somewhere that talks about what time Tuesday they realistically let you in... (9-10am seemed acceptable / 6-7am appeared to be taking the piss and you could just be told to keep moving..presumably back to your lay-by), so you are likely to be ligging about Tuesday am...

So assuming you are in by 9am... If you are in 'Quiet' there really isnt a tremendous difference being in E20 to E19 or E23 from the walking perspective.. If you are in 'General' you could be furthest west in E18 but i wouldnt want to be  near those really busy toilets... Luck of the draw later as to whether you end up furthest east in E16 or furthest west in E14 (by the crossing) as they park up in the easiest way to park you, not necessarily closest space first..

Alternatively, get an early night Monday.. Have a decent kip in your own bed.. Get up at sparrows fart and leave at 5:30am, still missing the rush hour mostly.. Stop for breakfast at the top of the M3.. Get on site for midday and still be 4 ciders in by the middle of the afternoon ???

Everyone to their own of course and i have absolutely considered doing this.. before realising it is really just Glastonbury FOMO.

Whatever you decide. Have a great festival.!

Thanks!

yes, we are in Essex so have the M11, M25 then either M4/M5 followed by cutting through Bath or we take the M3 to be followed by the much more scenic and pleasant A303. Either way, it’s a hellish journey as far as the roads are concerned. 

I think the only benefit really is getting out of Essex earlier. We’ve got a converted library bus and the kids will sleep in their car seats. Easily transferable to their bunks at the rear of the bus if we do stop over and the pair of us can kip on the floor. But getting up early Tuesday morning is also possible; we just never know what the M25 is going to throw at us. 

As we are in the unique position of husband not having a job to return to return to at the end of the festival, the idea of making a bit of an adventure out of it appeals. Nothing to stop us leaving here a bit early, and no rush to return on the Monday except the dear old cat will have missed us. I’ll see if my parents can feed her for an extra day or two. 

7 hours ago, annax said:

Why not make it a two centre holiday? Have a night in a beautiful countryside campsite and use that place to fill up your water tanks, etc. 

There’s a great option in Lacock just off the M4 near Chippenham. 

I’ll look into Lacock, thank you

12 hours ago, Wondermum said:

Having never parked up in a lay by before, who would move you on? The police?

That is a good point... ? and I can’t say that I have ever attempted an overnight stop in a lay-By myself...

the idea of a two Centre deal sounds appealing if you don’t have the concern of pesky employers... travel down at the weekend and have a couple of nights somewhere within 30 mins be of site.. as long as you have electric hook up and enough gas to keep you going that would certainly be comfortable camping introduction.. up at a decent time and still on site before 10:00...?

2 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

That is a good point... ? and I can’t say that I have ever attempted an overnight stop in a lay-By myself...

the idea of a two Centre deal sounds appealing if you don’t have the concern of pesky employers... travel down at the weekend and have a couple of nights somewhere within 30 mins be of site.. as long as you have electric hook up and enough gas to keep you going that would certainly be comfortable camping introduction.. up at a decent time and still on site before 10:00...?

We do this to a lesser extent, we stop near Tewkesbury for a night on the way down and the way back up - a lovely peaceful site.

Our friends are going to whole hog and having a long weekend in Cheddar on the way down. 

Last 3 years Ive stopped in laybys on the Monday night that are within a mile of the turning into Pylle lane.

Road closure information suggests the laybys will be shut and you will be moved on, but they aren't and youre not.. Most years Ive ended up with layby neighbours, and regularly with festival staff/exhibitors who have missed the 10pm embargo on trafiic movements onto site, and need somewhere to pull in. I suspect that's partly why they don't move people on who are in the laybys. I think if you parked on the road it would be a different story....

Ill be taking the M3 / A303 from Basingstoke after work on Monday again this year, pulling off at the Solstice Services turning and heading into Tesco Amesbury for last minute fridge refuelling :) 

Its either a layby close to site or the works car park in Basingstoke due to picking my motorhome straight from work. ...not really any doubt which is going to win there and at least if the gate opens early Im ready :)

On 6/2/2019 at 1:23 PM, annax said:

Why not make it a two centre holiday? Have a night in a beautiful countryside campsite and use that place to fill up your water tanks, etc. 

There’s a great option in Lacock just off the M4 near Chippenham. 

I think I might just suggest this to the husband! Sounds like a lovely start to the festival!

Thank you ?

58 minutes ago, amytamsin said:

I think I might just suggest this to the husband! Sounds like a lovely start to the festival!

Thank you ?

So I actually make it a three stop festival - we are booked to stay near Weymouth for the Mon-Fri after the festival... hope it stays sunny!

• Upvote 1

We're coming from Cumbria and have never done a distance with the caravan so probably gonna make it a two stop layover to break the journey. Already booked Monday night nearby. Have a few drinks night before then have some brekkie and set off around 10am to get onsite. 

We're coming from Essex too (Woodford) but leaving Tuesday afternoon.

Any experiences on what the traffic situation might be Tuesday evening and the likelihood of getting a decent plot on arrival? 

5 minutes ago, Upside down frowner said:

Friend is arriving late Wednesday into CV East, around mid night, know he’ll be in the back fields E15. 

Anyone ever arrived late/early hours? Any issues other than the dark ?

you never know your luck... when they are pretty full, i think the parking stewards look to tuck the smaller vans into spare 'spaces'.. i have often seen VWt2s stuck on the end or rows..

11 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

Friend is arriving late Wednesday into CV East, around mid night, know he’ll be in the back fields E15. 

Anyone ever arrived late/early hours? Any issues other than the dark ?

You can always tell your friends to say that they have mates who saved them a spot in E20, and there is a chance they'll be let through.  I've spoken to people before who arrive late and squeeze into random spots, and this is what they've done.  Blagging!

What time does everyone transition into the festival proper on Wednesday? Do people generally play it by ear and go to wristband exchange when they can see the queuing has died down?

We're in CV East for the first time this year, so buzzed to have an extra day on the farm and also massively looking forward to exploring more than usual on Wednesday!

3 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

You can always tell your friends to say that they have mates who saved them a spot in E20, and there is a chance they'll be let through.  I've spoken to people before who arrive late and squeeze into random spots, and this is what they've done.  Blagging!

I don’t want him to get a better spot than us!

He’ll be happy just get in...and crack a can after the drive. Didn’t know if there was restrictions on arrival time or anything like that.

Not long now, car came back from garage yesterday all ready to tow? 

Edited by Upside down frowner

15 hours ago, Ducky89 said:

What time does everyone transition into the festival proper on Wednesday? Do people generally play it by ear and go to wristband exchange when they can see the queuing has died down?

We're in CV East for the first time this year, so buzzed to have an extra day on the farm and also massively looking forward to exploring more than usual on Wednesday!

In 2017, the queue didn't die down until after 1pm which is a lot later than before, assume it was down to the extra security checks. No idea if that will be the case this year so i've been trying to find out what time the car parkers are allowed through the gates into the CV fields.  I've been told its from as soon at the car parks open on the Tuesday night but i'm not convinced on this yet. I thought it was early on Wednesday.

I would like to get in the queue so i don't loose half of Wednesday but i'm not spending all night in it just for that. Happy to join it at 6 or 7 O'clock if its reasonable.

Going to have a root through the festival info to see if this is clear in there.

@The other Bellboy

Below is the reply I got after asking about my mate joining us on Tuesday. He's driving down but is stopping with us in the van. No idea on where cars park but people can get through to CV East. Anyone parking other than East can't, or will struggle.

Thank you for your enquiry. Depending on which car park your friend is parked in they will be able to meet you on foot in the Campervan/Caravan fields. If both parked on the East side of the Festival they will be able to walk to meet you, similarly if you are both parked on the West side of the Festival. However as the Festival site does not open until the Wednesday morning, if arriving on the Tuesday and you are parked on opposite sides of the Festival, they will not be able to come and meet you.

Best Wishes,

Glastonbury Festival

Worthy Farm, Pilton,  Somerset, BA4 4BY

www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk

Love the Farm - LEAVE NO TRACE
Follow us on Twitter / Instagram

Supporting  Oxfam, WaterAid and Greenpeace

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, carlosj said:

@The other Bellboy

Below is the reply I got after asking about my mate joining us on Tuesday. He's driving down but is stopping with us in the van. No idea on where cars park but people can get through to CV East. Anyone parking other than East can't, or will struggle.

Thank you for your enquiry. Depending on which car park your friend is parked in they will be able to meet you on foot in the Campervan/Caravan fields. If both parked on the East side of the Festival they will be able to walk to meet you, similarly if you are both parked on the West side of the Festival. However as the Festival site does not open until the Wednesday morning, if arriving on the Tuesday and you are parked on opposite sides of the Festival, they will not be able to come and meet you.

Best Wishes,

Glastonbury Festival

Worthy Farm, Pilton,  Somerset, BA4 4BY

www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk

Love the Farm - LEAVE NO TRACE
Follow us on Twitter / Instagram

Supporting  Oxfam, WaterAid and Greenpeace

Thank you Carlos - i guess that resolves that. i might get up early on Wednesday and see how bad or good the queue is and decide if joining or waiting is the best option. Cheers