Real Ale

clitbang

2 minutes ago, Andeh03 said:

Do we know if they are doing those steel pint pots this year? I not heard anything this year, and thought last time was a trial? 

I bought a couple more steel pint mugs just in case they don't as they're so much better than the paper cups. 

In the theatre and circus field there were 2 beers tents, one selling slightly better Carlsberg owned ‘craft beer’ Shedhead ipa, lawnmower ale, and San Miguel, and another tent selling the full line up of Brooklyn beers, on draft and can. Seem to remember £4 for a 355ml can but it is nearly 2 years ago so I might be making that up.

As it is 2 years ago, i’m hoping there might be better offering this year? I live in hope.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:43 PM, tewks said:

From memory, they take it straight from the barrel in a lot of the bars, but could be wrong given the amount of people saying hand pumps. 

That's my memory as well certainly the bars around the site including the Acoustic tent one...not sure about the Cornish Arms, just can't remember if that was hand pump or direct from the cask

2 minutes ago, cossie said:

That's my memory as well certainly the bars around the site including the Acoustic tent one...not sure about the Cornish Arms, just can't remember if that was hand pump or direct from the cask

Straight from barrel in The Bimble Inn I recall. Others I can’t remember.

On 6/1/2019 at 6:42 PM, Andeh03 said:

Do we know if they are doing those steel pint pots this year? I not heard anything this year, and thought last time was a trial? 

Yes they are. We will have them available from WaterAid kiosks across the site for £5 deposit. I assume you will be able to get them from bars as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Do they announce what beers are available in which bars before the festival, or is it a matter of turn up and see what they've got?

Last time I went (2017) I spent most of my time at Avalon or the Acoustic bars but would like to try out a few other bars this time for when I want a fresh cold beer rather than a warm can

15 hours ago, prestonmike said:

Do they announce what beers are available in which bars before the festival, or is it a matter of turn up and see what they've got?

I think turn up and see. You could try joining the Twitter and Facebook groups for the bars to see if they post what they'll be selling, or even send a message and ask!

On 6/10/2019 at 6:14 PM, JohnEW said:

Yes they are. We will have them available from WaterAid kiosks across the site for £5 deposit. I assume you will be able to get them from bars as well.

Are the steel pint pots a thing this year too?

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Thanks missed that, craft keg element seems new. There’s nothing interesting on that menu.

yeah otters ale isnt the best, ive never tried the potholer ale which sounds nicer - Award-winning golden ale with zesty fruit flavours and a rounded, hoppy finish.

1 minute ago, gazzared said:

yeah otters ale isnt the best, ive never tried the potholer ale which sounds nicer - Award-winning golden ale with zesty fruit flavours and a rounded, hoppy finish.

I’m just personally not bothered about cask ales, but I appreciate this is definitely the wrong thread for that and there’s a happy crossover between keg and craft. The more beer choice the better anyway! Just hope the keg isn’t some bland choice like brewdog.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

On a personal level this was always my fave bit of Glastonbury - pretty much impossible to get a decent drink at most mass events.

Same! And seeking out which tent sold which beers was always a little treat!

Some great suggestions here. I always thought the Acoustic had the best selection but they all do at least one or two decent ales! Otter ale has always been fairly staple. 

Not sure I've tried the one in Theatre & Circus (though maybe I did and that's why I can't remember it!)
I'll seek it out again this time and see. 
also been an age since I trecked up to Tricketts so I hope it is still there! 

Any ‘craft keg’ will be from Carlsberg’s portfolio, probably Brooklyn Brewery (remember their bar in the Circus and Theatre fields a few years back?) but seeing as they also have Erdinger it would be nice if they’d open up a German biergarten on site serving that. I’ll bring the lederhosen

18 minutes ago, Drinky said:

Any ‘craft keg’ will be from Carlsberg’s portfolio, probably Brooklyn Brewery (remember their bar in the Circus and Theatre fields a few years back?) but seeing as they also have Erdinger it would be nice if they’d open up a German biergarten on site serving that. I’ll bring the lederhosen

Well that would be a fucking disappointment to say the least.

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

A puppy dies every time someone puts a Germany and Belgian beer in the same sentence.  Its like a pineapple on a pizza - should not be....

well, a light German pilsner or Kolsch for the daytime then a couple of Belgians later on at night

and by the way...i don't mind pineapple on pizza