Have you ever met ME?

Gabi_says

Bumping this one up so we can update it with new sightings of The Great Generous One.

I saw him at the Pier this time, thanked him, hugged him, got a selfie. Still can't believe how many times I heard him thank everyone around him for coming to his farm. We are not worthy, really. What a guy.

Met him for the first time this year!  I was, appropriately, walking up the hill of Michael's Mead and he was driving down in his landy so I stopped and said hi!  He was lovely.  No one else around me seemed to spot him.

I was regaling two young aussie girls with this story later on in the day and their response was 'who?' :mellow:

My eldest brother and my Dad met him a few weeks before the festival at a talk this year - had a good chat apparently as my brother is a local musician and reviewer around Bristol.

I've bumped into him a handful of times on site... first time we exchanged a few sentences, every other time I've made sure to catch his eye and mouth "Thank you, sir".

Walked past Emily & Michael on separate occasions on Wednesday and Thursday.

Emily was with her little one so didn't want to bother her.

Michael was driving and gave us a wave

On 6/1/2019 at 12:37 AM, MrZigster said:

At least twice and possibly three or four.

He was walking through the campsite in Pennards in '95 (my first) being pleasant to everyone.

I didn't return until '04. I was sitting in The Astrolabe absorbed in a show and didn't realise that he and (I think) Arabella Churchill had sat next to me. One of my favourite anecdotes but I'm not telling it here right now. For one it's way too hard to explain the context,  but mainly he was way too candid for a public forum (being very cross about a certain bookings performance).

Seen him at Speakers Forum (does that count?)

And. I'm sure I spotted him walking that path heading south towards The Railway Line on the right hand side of The Glade one year. Went "Wow, etc...". Asked for a hug and got one. I am of the mind that this was a lookalike now though. Like ME would be strolling along there unaccompanied :D 

I've seen him stroll round the site unaccompanied on many an occasion. Usually a Sunday afternoon come to think of it. 

Didn’t meet him as such this year....but I was on site on Tuesday as part of crew and was returning to my friends sat at the cider bus from the toilet and as I walked down he came from the Pyramid in his red Land Rover and beeped his horn for me to get out of the way - I turned round and he smiled and waved and drove off! 

I've seen him come past in his land rover several times at various festivals over the years, always smiling at everyone.  

This year I was working at ped gate A on Wednesday when he came past us stewards to open the festival.. he's such a warm smiley person, Emily was also there with her family.. I was so happy to be working on that gate and see the Eavis's happily greeting everyone as they came in. 

I haven't had the chance to speak to him but I have seen him around the festival twice now.

First time was when he popped in to see the Hell Riders / Wall of Death in 2011. He was mobbed for photos, handshakes etc and was over the other side of the circular wall to where I had stood so I couldn't get across myself. 

This year I passed by Glastonbury on Sea about an hour before it was due to open. He was having a look around it himself and stopped to talk to the crowds that gathered.

I'd have thought after so many years the constant badgering for his attention while he's around the farm would get a bit dull but both times he seemed genuinely happy to talk to those who wanted to say thanks etc and pause for photos.

5 minutes ago, mpsamuels said:

I haven't had the chance to speak to him but I have seen him around the festival twice now.

First time was when he popped in to see the Hell Riders / Wall of Death in 2011. He was mobbed for photos, handshakes etc and was over the other side of the circular wall to where I had stood so I couldn't get across myself. 

This year I passed by Glastonbury on Sea about an hour before it was due to open. He was having a look around it himself and stopped to talk to the crowds that gathered.

I'd have thought after so many years the constant badgering for his attention while he's around the farm would get a bit dull but both times he seemed genuinely happy to talk to those who wanted to say thanks etc and pause for photos.

Day to day farming is quite a long and gruelling job that’s on whole lonely at times too. We often stay at a farm campsite in north wales in summer and the farmer there is just so happy to have people around.  I imagine it’s like a weeks holiday for ME in some aspects! 

4 minutes ago, tumbles said:

Day to day farming is quite a long and gruelling job that’s on whole lonely at times too. We often stay at a farm campsite in north wales in summer and the farmer there is just so happy to have people around.  I imagine it’s like a weeks holiday for ME in some aspects! 

I never thought of it like that. It amazed me that he seemed so genuine when thanking people for making the effort to come along as if we were the ones doing him a favour and was almost oblivious of the fact that most of us wouldn't dare consider voluntarily being anywhere else!!

3 hours ago, tumbles said:

Slightly morbid question but is one of his sons lined up to run the farm day to day in future?  

Possibly a grandson, but he's very young. Michael doesn't exactly run the farm now, he has a manager + team. Michael signs the big cheques and makes major decisions (e.g infrastructure), but there's no reason increased authority can't be given to the current manager with larger decisions being made by the board (presumably his children).

It will be interesting if there is more of a management firewall between the farm and the festival once he's gone, I'm kind of assuming Emily runs the festival and the other children will have a greater say in the farm, but I don't think that's based on any evidence (although it's hard to remember what you've picked up through osmosis)

Mentioned in this year's celeb spotting thread, but bumped into him in his red Land Rover driving through Green Futures on Saturday morning. The two friends I was with, both first timers, and I stopped to shake his hand and thank him for such a wonderful party.