Have you ever met ME?

Gabi_says

met him last year in Newlyn, as he has a holiday cottage there so is a frequent visitor to West Cornwall. I live in nearby St Just, where he is often spotted visiting the Methodist church. His eldest daughter (who runs Worthy Cheddar) also lives in St Just and we share the same home postcode. :D 

I did vehicle chaperoning in 2016 and thought all my Christmases had come at once when he waved back at me up at the farm on the Tuesday.

THEN, once the festival started, I only bloomin' got to chaperone his land rover through the site! He was very chatty and smiley and thanked me profusely for chaperoning him, whilst I thanked him profusely for the festival. One of my best Glastonbury experiences ever ?

22 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

they used to drop in to the Guest bar and sit at the back of the bar {late 80's most of the 90's} just to avoid the constant requests for photographs - he is very shy compared to Jean who was very chatty

That's really interesting to know.  If I see famous type people at the fest I've always ignored them (primarily rugby players I've seen knocking about but also a few comedians and/or performers) as I figure it's their downtime and they're not there to be hassled, but had I ever had the opportunity I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it with Michael.  Good to know.

Just out of curiosity is e the same about general hellos and thanks for the weekend type conversations? Will happily leave him in peace if so :)

We bump into him pretty regularly in the Frome/Pilton/Shepton area....so much so we wondered if there was in fact more than one ME.  

Last time we saw him he was buying 2 dozen hot cross buns in the farm shop in Pylle...he always enjoys a chat, and MrsP always plants a smacker on his cheek....he seems to enjoy that too ?

Not me, but my mate was in Las Vegas on holiday and was sat at a blackjack table when Michael strolls by.  He thought he was hallucinating and I wouldn't have believed him unless I saw the photo evidence.  He was in that neck of the woods (LA I think) to pick up a festival award apparently.

I haven't met him, but the lovely lady sandie who was the celebrant at our 2017 handfasting in the tipi fields is a local and she told him about our plans before the festival. 

After our ceremony she gave us a congratulations card wishing us the best in our lives together from ME himself! She said he was really chuffed we were going to be having our wedding there when she told him. 

5 minutes ago, I feel like Pablo said:

I haven't met him, but the lovely lady sandie who was the celebrant at our 2017 handfasting in the tipi fields is a local and she told him about our plans before the festival. 

After our ceremony she gave us a congratulations card wishing us the best in our lives together from ME himself! She said he was really chuffed we were going to be having our wedding there when she told him. 

that's a real nice touch. :) 

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's a real nice touch. :) 

Yeah it was such a surprise, something we will definitely be keeping hold of.

I met her and our whole ceremony was arranged because of this forum, I was introduced to her by our photographer for our wedding who i met through a post I put up asking for someone who could take some photos of us in our wedding stuff. 

It turned into a full traditional Hand fasting ceremony outside a tipi with bagpipes playing us in. It was truly incredible.

Here is a video from it. Gone off topic here from Michael Eavis though, apologies. Just wanting to show that all of this came from this amazing forum. Thank you, we are eternally grateful

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

That's really interesting to know.  If I see famous type people at the fest I've always ignored them (primarily rugby players I've seen knocking about but also a few comedians and/or performers) as I figure it's their downtime and they're not there to be hassled, but had I ever had the opportunity I probably wouldn't have thought twice about it with Michael.  Good to know.

Just out of curiosity is e the same about general hellos and thanks for the weekend type conversations? Will happily leave him in peace if so :)

Michael Eavis never ever liked the Guest bar at Glastonbury ' hence why he would never allow the WBC to make it larger ' and if he had his way there would not be a Guest Bar !!! - He clearly knew it was full of ' friends of friends ' rather than the actual Bands themselves.

He would drop in to speak to the WBC Chairman and we were asked to look after Jean.

He loves meeting the regular punters - although he would avoid people who smoke - had some great conversation about people who get wasted at Glastonbury - he just cant get his head round why people spend all the money just to go there and then miss it as they are in the welfare or medical unit.

so if you spot him do have a chat but if he starts to stutter he will soon make a hasty retreat.

backstage-bar.thumb.jpg.110f413c73d3b6179ca32b5b189382b3.jpg

I just did in a dream a few minutes ago. I told him how great the festival was then he told me to change the subject, so naturally I kept talking about the festival. I asked him if during the fellow year if it like he got his life back just a little bit. He said... "No".

It wasn't as frosty as it sounds, he was very friendly!

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I just did in a dream a few minutes ago. I told him how great the festival was then he told me to change the subject, so naturally I kept talking about the festival. I asked him if during the fellow year if it like he got his life back just a little bit. He said... "No".

It wasn't as frosty as it sounds, he was very friendly!

Did you talk to him about the virtues of fresh and black tents too ? :) 

3 hours ago, Bza said:

Met him back in 2009 around Green Futures (I think) after he'd done one of his talks. 

Was brief but just about managed to thank him profusely for everything.

10398437_125033320309_5274895_n.jpg

Excellent outing of a Pavement ist Rad shirt in this photo - many congratulations on that :)

At least twice and possibly three or four.

He was walking through the campsite in Pennards in '95 (my first) being pleasant to everyone.

I didn't return until '04. I was sitting in The Astrolabe absorbed in a show and didn't realise that he and (I think) Arabella Churchill had sat next to me. One of my favourite anecdotes but I'm not telling it here right now. For one it's way too hard to explain the context,  but mainly he was way too candid for a public forum (being very cross about a certain bookings performance).

Seen him at Speakers Forum (does that count?)

And. I'm sure I spotted him walking that path heading south towards The Railway Line on the right hand side of The Glade one year. Went "Wow, etc...". Asked for a hug and got one. I am of the mind that this was a lookalike now though. Like ME would be strolling along there unaccompanied :D 

1992, my first Glastonbury. Pre internet, pre BBC and media coverage. 

I was volunteering and, after training and orientation (a cup of tea and cake in M.E.’s sister in laws kitchen) my first shift was stewarding at the farm gate. A red Land Rover approaches. Noticing no stickers or passes on the windscreen, I dutifully stopped the vehicle and explained politely that he simply could not go any further. 

I couldn’t understand why the occupant was laughing almost uncontrollably. Still laughing he edged around me. I moved to the front of the Land Rover to obstruct him. 

My supervisor ran over to explain.  Highly embarrassed, I apologised and between laughs he thanked me and suggested immediate promotion to my supervisor. 

Saw him a few times later over the weekend, each time we clocked each other, he just fell about laughing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I was fortunate to meet him in Somerton in 2016, it was about 2 weeks after the festival, it was the opening day of the somerton arts festival and he was a guest speaker. I didn't have a clue he was meant to be there and just stumbled across it. He noticed my wristband and we spoke about the festival and the mud, what a lovely and bloody hilarious man he is.

Photos taken by his PA, she was trying to get him to leave the crowd of people quite unsuccessfully so just started taking everyone's photo. 

IMG_1491.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG