“I can’t get no sleep “

Crazyfool01

Depends on the heat, my ageing bladder, my Mrs setting an alarm (it’s been known / she’s got this thing about sleep hygiene or something).

Truth is I can function on 6, survive on 4. Power naps are the key (ex-forces trick) but don’t know if that’ll be the case this year as don’t fancy trogging back to WV for a kip. If it’s dry then just leave me where I am and step over me, I’ll be up and around again in 15-20 mins!

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

flip flops every time for this purpose :) as long as its not chucking it down 

I would agree pre-flip-flop-related injury a few years back. Mud + dreadful guy rope pitching by some douche (Maybe a *bit* to do with the booze on mu part). Twisted ankle. Total buzzkill. 

I travel from the states for glasto.  my job is generally very stressful and I don't tend to sleep a lot when I'm here at home.  When i get to the festival, I usually stay up as late as possible on the wednesday (from general excitement, and to get over the jet lag).  The following days I just let myself sleep as late as my body wants to - it is a holiday after all.  

I'm a bit weird at festivals, will sleep through thunderstorms, Beat Hotel, Arcadia etc. but two people talking a few tents awake can keep me awake for hours.

Love a disco nap in the middle of the day too, especially at a nice hot one.

Wednesday night I'll sleep for England. Get up at 3am to arrive on site as early as possible. All the excitement and anticipation totally drains me add to that a bar crawl all day Wednesday until I drop I expect to get a good 8 hours.

Thursday Friday Saturday I'll be lucky to get any more than 3-4 hours each night. If I get back to the tent and manage to fall asleep before the sun rises then maybe get a few more. Normally by the time my nights ended the suns up and my tents as hot as hades so eye mask on and hope for the best. 

I expect to get a good 15 hours straight when I'm back home on Monday. 

I cannot function at all on less than six hours of sleep. If I get to bed at 3 or 4 then I’ll typically be awake at about 9am at the very latest and this’ll ensure I have a debt of about an hour that I’ll have to pay back at some point. If I’m lucky that’ll be after a a tea and a poop, and I’ll be all good at 11am ready to go - or it might mean disco kip at about 4pm dependant on music schedules. 

2016 I had my kip disgustingly disturbed by Ellie bloody Goulding, and that really put the shits up me for a bit. Had to smash down a pint of smoothie and eat an absolute rake of jerk chicken before I could even think of smiling again. But I did, and I did ?

In normal life I get into London for 7am and pretty much work a 12 hour day, so I probably get more sleep at Glastonbury than I do Monday-Friday anyway. At G I probably average a 3/4am bedtime and probably wake up around 10-11 which is more than plenty for me and does me fine.

The only time sleep has been an issue at Glastonbury was due to the shit house that was 2016. Got caught in the horrendous traffic and for one reason or another didn’t sleep at all Wednesday night. We had friends arriving separately on Thursday so instead of sleeping Thursday morning/lunchtime we went and met up with them and never went back to the tent. By about 9pm Thursday I was totally fucked and had to go to bed. I was gutted because Thursday is the best night!

3/4 hours a day any more and i'd feel like i'm missing out on parts of the festival. Normally get back to my tent from the SE corner around 7am....up at 10/11am to make breakfast and then head out for a midday start.
I have a fresh and black tent so the sunlight doesn't cause me any problems in the morning.

• 1 year later...

Four pages and no ones mentioned the sneaky trip back to the tent when there's a gap in your schedule at about 6pm around the sub sub headliners. (Usually Saturday)

Return via that food stall you've been eyeing which normally has a massive queue, nap, replenish the booze ready for the headliners and late night antics.

44 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Four pages and no ones mentioned the sneaky trip back to the tent when there's a gap in your schedule at about 6pm around the sub sub headliners. (Usually Saturday)

Return via that food stall you've been eyeing which normally has a massive queue, nap, replenish the booze ready for the headliners and late night antics.

Possibly because it's not everybody's MO, I would have thought.

The Healing Field is a brilliant place for sneaky naps. In fact there's one tent in which there's always loads of people napping. That's the only thing going on in there and it's great for that Wednesday post-set up energy low.

I also love a doze on the Park hill after getting my tent set up and putting valuables in the lock up. I'll have a couple of ciders, then drift off. The feeling of waking up, squinting at the daylight, realising you're back on the farm and Glastonbury is just beginning must be one of my favourite moments in any given year.

Edited by kalifire

3 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Naps are imo the secret to getting through five days of 18 hour sessions.

I agree that it's good to get some sleep. Not what I would do in my earlier days but would definitely be on my list of things to do at any festival nowadays. I'd also eat more often than I ever used to at Glastonbury. I could, most likely, drink alcohol only for the length of a festival though. A silly thing to do, but all of my sense on that front went out of the window long ago.