Oxfam Camping

mazola

Hi all

10th Glasto this year for me, didn't think it was going to happen but managed to get a couple of Oxfam spots for me and my Mrs a couple of weeks ago.

I'll be camping in the Oxfam field which is outside the fence, and wondered if anyone can answer the following:

Will I be able to have a joint outside my tent? I know in the festival itself it's no big deal, but wasn't sure if that is the case in the Oxfam field. Will it be frowned upon, or even as bad as being chucked out and losing my place?

Also will I get bag searched going in with an EPO band? I normally only have the stress of going through once at the beginning of the festival, but 7 days on the trot going through feels like pushing it a bit.

If I might be subject to a search, then I'm considering stashing some stuff in the lock ups, is this a bad idea?

I'm only talking about a bit of grass.

I've never been searched entering as a volunteer, but it does happen. Stash it, and then leave it in the lockups - they are secure. 

You won't get bothered for having a smoke in the Oxfield, but be discreet, and don't sit around chatting at your tent - it's a crew campsite and we have 24 HR shifts, so someone will always be trying to sleep. 

13 hours ago, jfaragher said:

I've never been searched entering as a volunteer, but it does happen. Stash it, and then leave it in the lockups - they are secure. 

You won't get bothered for having a smoke in the Oxfield, but be discreet, and don't sit around chatting at your tent - it's a crew campsite and we have 24 HR shifts, so someone will always be trying to sleep. 

Thanks, that's reassuring. Don't worry I'm just talking about a quick smoke every now and then, I'm not going to be huffing balloons!

Was planning on storing quite a bit at the lock ups anyway save carrying it all in every day (crate of beer, a couple of hoodies etc). Trouble is I usually pre-roll a few in the tent every morning and stash them in a fag box so I don't have to skin up when I'm out and about, but going through security gives me the willies. I suppose it will be easier to hide a bag of grass once, than 7 times with a fag box of spliffs.

13 hours ago, jfaragher said:

Is it really super quiet at all times in Oxfield?  It's our first time volunteering too (14th Glasto though).  We have our training on Monday so I guess we'll hear all this kind of stuff then but it's good to hear from people who have done it before.

I am not a rowdy person by any means but do like to sit around the tent having a few beers etc at different times of the day/night.  Is that frowned upon in Oxfield? 

5 hours ago, Hugh with a P said:

Is it really super quiet at all times in Oxfield?  It's our first time volunteering too (14th Glasto though).  We have our training on Monday so I guess we'll hear all this kind of stuff then but it's good to hear from people who have done it before.

I am not a rowdy person by any means but do like to sit around the tent having a few beers etc at different times of the day/night.  Is that frowned upon in Oxfield? 

have not worked with Oxfam at Glastonbury but did a few events last year with Oxfam and the nearest would be Womad and they had split the camp in two

{1} a quiet Camping area 

{2} a bit less quiet Camping area  

--------

its best if you stick to the Crew tent for chatting as you wont win any friends if you do it near the tents ' as not all the people will be on the same rota '

even down at the toilets people were being very quiet.

you will see what I am on about on the first night.

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

have not worked with Oxfam at Glastonbury but did a few events last year with Oxfam and the nearest would be Womad and they had split the camp in two

{1} a quiet Camping area 

--------

its best if you stick to the Crew tent for chatting as you wont win any friends if you do it near the tents ' as not all the people will be on the same rota '

even down at the toilets people were being very quiet.

you will see what I am on about on the first night.

Ok. Good to know. Thanks for the reply. On the plus side, the sleep we do get will be quality sleep! 

27 minutes ago, Hugh with a P said:

Ok. Good to know. Thanks for the reply. On the plus side, the sleep we do get will be quality sleep! 

Problem with a dead quiet crew camp is its so quiet that the snoring sounds louder !!!

At Womad the Crew tent did not have its own Bar but I have been told they do have one at Glasto so if its anything like the WBC Crew tent - they sell alcohol between 6pm until 3am but there is people in there all night.

Having been involved in production for many years I was interested to see how well organised Oxfam was and they were well organised but I did find the system for people wanting to swap shifts did appear a bit chaotic although as we were not after a swap its only a impression so I cant say how many did get a swap or not.

if in doubt ask in the Office.

15 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

{1} a quiet Camping area 

At WOMAD they do split the field, though it's more 'rowdy kids in the corner' and 'everyone else'.  

It's really important to keep the noise down on the crew field - it tends to be a bit noisier around the marquee which has plenty of room for chatting and having a beer.  The bar doesn't do much business in the Oxfam field from my experience.  Also, the best party in the world is happening about 15 minutes away...

Shift swap process is not so much chaotic as "it's not our job to find you alternative shifts, come to us if you have someone to change with" - there's a dedicated admin office at Glastonbury as well, due to the number of stewards - most have a combined steward control (oxbox) and admin (adbox) setup.

3 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

At WOMAD they do split the field, though it's more 'rowdy kids in the corner' and 'everyone else'.  

It's really important to keep the noise down on the crew field - it tends to be a bit noisier around the marquee which has plenty of room for chatting and having a beer.  The bar doesn't do much business in the Oxfam field from my experience.  Also, the best party in the world is happening about 15 minutes away...

Shift swap process is not so much chaotic as "it's not our job to find you alternative shifts, come to us if you have someone to change with" - there's a dedicated admin office at Glastonbury as well, due to the number of stewards - most have a combined steward control (oxbox) and admin (adbox) setup.

as I did mention ' we were not after a swap its only a impression so I cant say how many did get a swap or not. '

all we saw was a load of messages on a table and it was not clear what was going on but as it did not affect us we never looked into it.

last year I certainly did not see any bar - there was a few people sitting about with cans but we assumed they were there own cans.

so were you working last year at it ?

Just now, glasto-worker said:

as I did mention ' we were not after a swap its only a impression so I cant say how many did get a swap or not. '

all we saw was a load of messages on a table and it was not clear what was going on but as it did not affect us we never looked into it.

last year I certainly did not see any bar - there was a few people sitting about with cans but we assumed they were there own cans.

so were you working last year at it ?

No bar at WOMAD, but definitely one at Glastonbury

You and me sat and had a beer outside the marquee late one night at WOMAD :)

On 5/29/2019 at 7:00 PM, mazola said:

Also will I get bag searched going in with an EPO band? I normally only have the stress of going through once at the beginning of the festival, but 7 days on the trot going through feels like pushing it a bit.

More often than not  I would get searched when going in with an EPO band - especially if I had a bag with me.  Weirdly I don't think I've ever been searched as a punter (apart from the cursory pat down), only when I've been crew / stewarding. 

The searches can range from the standard pat down to having a good going through your bags but as long as you pack accordingly, you should  be ok.  Most of the time I just chat away with the guard, they're just doing their job so may as well make it as pleasant as possible.

That and security are more likely to be extra thorough with people giving them a hard time.

5 hours ago, jfaragher said:

It was. 

yes I remember that night now.

I know he is at Glasto this year - will try to organise a meet Tuesday night ' it all depends if I can get a lift in a WBC 4wd ' - WBC Coaches leave from London at noon and provided the driver does not get lost { we ended up in a Magical Mystery Tour in 2009 even although we were very close to it - talk about going round in circles } we should be set up by 5pm

On 6/2/2019 at 4:57 AM, glasto-worker said:

yes I remember that night now.

I know he is at Glasto this year - will try to organise a meet Tuesday night ' it all depends if I can get a lift in a WBC 4wd ' - WBC Coaches leave from London at noon and provided the driver does not get lost { we ended up in a Magical Mystery Tour in 2009 even although we were very close to it - talk about going round in circles } we should be set up by 5pm

We can always come down to meet you, if you let us know where your crew camp is - I'll PM you a contact number...

24 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

We can always come down to meet you, if you let us know where your crew camp is - I'll PM you a contact number...

see my reply - we are over near Gate D but makes sense to meet at the Bread and Roses { which will be open }

2019-RED-DOT55.thumb.jpg.421adf2df59e4e8b195fe4f3f7549217.jpg