Comedy and other theatre bits

Jamesthedrake

I was delighted to see some great comedians on this years line-up, with Nish Kumar, Josie Long, Doc Brown, Kerry Godliman, Reggie Watts, Rosie Jones and Phil Wang all on the bill. I've always been determined to spend more time round the theatre side of the fest - does anyone else have any must-sees or interesting tidbits that's worth checking out?

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Anybody know why Cabaret tent is not listed on the clashfinder?

I'm going to guess because there's no times listed with Cabaret line-up... just a potential running order.

Edited by basquille

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

Stephen Frost Impro Allstars in the Astrolabe. I go pretty much every year. It's Whose line Is It Anyway? essentially...

Love this troupe - they tend to be at Electric Picnic most years too, great for a sit down and a giggle. 

12 minutes ago, rubick said:

Love this troupe - they tend to be at Electric Picnic most years too, great for a sit down and a giggle. 

Not sure why the Astrolabe has no listings for the Sat and Sun! They always do the same time (roughly) on the Sat too.

2 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

From the Cabaret tent, Dr John Cooper Clarke (punk poet). I've always wanted to see him so delighted he's on the line up.

We caught his show in 2017, he was brilliant. Hopefully wander over that way again. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Saw his set  last year at Green Man and he simply repeated every funny thing he’d every said in telly. Slick but lacking original material. 

3 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Oh, maybe I'll avoid then as I've already seen his act several times.

I saw him in October/November and he had been working on a new set, so he does have some new material now, although there was still some rehashing of his older few sets.

Phil Wang is great, but like most touring comedians, his festival set is very much a ‘greatest hits’ thing. I’d see him again, always enjoyable

Conversely, every time I’ve seen John Cooper Clarke, I’ve been really disappointed. 

13 minutes ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I saw him in October/November and he had been working on a new set, so he does have some new material now, although there was still some rehashing of his older few sets.

Seen him doing some work in progress over the past couple months, definitely some new material in there.

1 hour ago, Jah_Roots said:

blackskywhite - astrolabe theatre - caught their show a few years ago... it was equal parts brilliant & terrifying... really hoping i'm in the area to see them again.

This. I will make sure I catch one of their shows

Camped next to Phil Wang in 2017, had not realised until he was packing up. Got to tell him I enjoyed his set, didn't tell him about his night time habits

I am off to Edinburgh Festival this year so might miss a few acts in favour of something else at the Glastonbury this time