Volunteers! Does volunteering help in anyway getting quick access to Shrangri La?

5thtimer

7 hours ago, Aragorn said:

You will probably see me alot as I like nothing more than to sit by the fire at welfare and chill out when my anxiety levels are on the rise which is on and off during the festival, feel safe there

That's cool man. That's why we're there and why we have it burning all night, every night :) If you see a tall guy with a beard hoofing logs onto it say Hi and I'll make you a cuppa 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deadstillstanding said:

That's cool man. That's why we're there and why we have it burning all night, every night :) If you see a tall guy with a beard hoofing logs onto it say Hi and I'll make you a cuppa 

Is this an open invite for free tea?

I remember on at least 2 occasions walking the back way into Shangrila definitely not in 2017, but one maybe 2 of 14/15/16, was that ever actually a proper path or did we end up getting there and just not being stopped?, we come out behind the toilets near rocket lounge, guess we must of walked through the Craft fields first definitely never went onto the railway line.

On 5/29/2019 at 3:13 PM, jfaragher said:

I strongly agree with all these things.  And to add - don't be shitty with people if you try and fail to blag access to a bar / shortcut / non-public area.  There are good reasons for all the controls to be in place.

Generally, the worst grief I've had when stewarding (Glastonbury and other festivals) had been from other crew/staff.

Particularly annoying when it's from someone who should be more understanding that I'm just doing my job

2 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Generally, the worst grief I've had when stewarding (Glastonbury and other festivals) had been from other crew/staff.

Particularly annoying when it's from someone who should be more understanding that I'm just doing my job

If you give it a go then all the best to you, if you get knocked back take it on the chin with a smile as the glasto gods have caught you, and round to the queue you go

On 5/29/2019 at 12:37 PM, 5thtimer said:

Not really a shrangri la man, but really want to see Elvana after The Killers, but I know I haven't got a prayer with the usual crowds. Is there a quicker way for staff/volunteers?

Volunteering with Oxfam if that makes any difference

I would solve this problem by seeing neither The Killers nor Elvana. 

They are pretty strict...Even with a Shangri-la wristband I've not managed to get through! 

I feel like in a hazy memory  I have managed it once going in a loop and ended up near where the old crew bar, Wally's, used to be. But then again I can't normally remember anything from a Glastonbury night clearly!  

Either way if you get there just before the headliners finish (or are a crowd ninja) I have found the queues not to be terrible?

On 5/29/2019 at 10:51 PM, deadstillstanding said:

I daresay Croissant Neuf get the same through their staff camping area too. These guys are not popular and that hedge is way pricklier than it looks. This strategy 100% never works.

Many try but always fail to get past our wonderful gatecrew :) 

(BTW, I'm your neighbour, just uphill of you with the woody stuff,)

18 hours ago, deadstillstanding said:

Cheers dude - I will look out for you :)

8 hours ago, jow95 said:

If you give it a go then all the best to you, if you get knocked back take it on the chin with a smile as the glasto gods have caught you, and round to the queue you go

Pretty much this. I don't really have a problem with people trying. Done it myself in the past. And if people weren't trying it on in various forms they'd need fewer stewards so I wouldn't have a role so I'd have to get a ticket the normal way, which, seeing this place on ticket day, looks awful. 

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Many try but always fail to get past our wonderful gatecrew :) 

(BTW, I'm your neighbour, just uphill of you with the woody stuff,)

Mornin' neighbour <tugs on brim> See you in a few weeks. Might try bothering you for your chainsaw at some point if you don't mind? For the firewood.

22 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

Cheers dude - I will look out for you :)

Rotating shifts so couldn't tell you when I'll be on but keep an eye out for the brown stripy jumper answering to Pete.

Does anyone know much about the crew bars? I've always had a regular ticket and, providing I'm blessed with luck on ticket day in the future, this doesn't look like changing; but just interested if these crew bars are as interesting and well thought out as the rest of the sites bars or if they are minimal as they are for crew. Why waste money on fun things for non paying punters sort of mindset.

3 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Does anyone know much about the crew bars? I've always had a regular ticket and, providing I'm blessed with luck on ticket day in the future, this doesn't look like changing; but just interested if these crew bars are as interesting and well thought out as the rest of the sites bars or if they are minimal as they are for crew. Why waste money on fun things for non paying punters sort of mindset.

They are generally just bars where crew can get a drink and a bit of a rest.  Some are better than others.  Most have a few bands playing in the evening etc. But the vibe is definitely NOT as good as the festival vibe.  I worked in one for 4 years and they are NOT the festival. They are OK as an occasional retreat, but the most fun is definitely out, queuing up with the punters. 

13 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Why waste money on fun things for non paying punters sort of mindset.

Because the people deciding to "waste money" are the same people using the bars.

The biggest advantage is that many are cheaper (as much as a quid a pint) than the public bars.

5 minutes ago, jow95 said:

I would say they are about the same if not better. No idea on the Pyramid and other, mate says they are a bit dull.

Shangrila has a lovely big bar and then plenty of sitting with booths as well. In it is a tube train where a DJ plays form and table footy in the train

Wallys in the unfairground is good with DJs playing

Block 9 has Macheos (sp) with a great selection of beer and top DJs playing in there and a weird little dance floor. Big place that one

Arcadia was a great bar with lovely sitting and a platform you could go to and watch the action

Acoustic is a smashing bar with pool table and stage that bands play on

Park I have only every been in once and in the day. I remember straw bales and some great food

Bandstand I remember it being very lively  but have been quite drunk each time I have been in there

Theatre and Circus is the best I reckon (I do work in T&C) lovely set of sofas (That my mate has just finished collecting) great selection of ales stage with bands, saw squeeze in there last year and the beat not so long back. Lots of good acts

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I would say they are about the same if not better 

So you're telling me there's loads of cool shit im never actually gonna see? As someone who trawls these forums in search of cool shit to go and see this is ever so frustrating haha

Edit: had no idea they were so extensive

Edited by jow95

11 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

They are generally just bars where crew can get a drink and a bit of a rest.  Some are better than others.  Most have a few bands playing in the evening etc. But the vibe is definitely NOT as good as the festival vibe.  I worked in one for 4 years and they are NOT the festival. They are OK as an occasional retreat, but the most fun is definitely out, queuing up with the punters. 

Indeed this once the festival starts I don't spend hardly anytime in backstage bars, far to much going on outside

6 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Theatre and Circus is the best I reckon (I do work in T&C) lovely set of sofas (That my mate has just finished collecting) great selection of ales stage with bands, saw squeeze in there last year and the beat not so long back. Lots of good acts

I saw Squeeze there too last time! My friend was given a couple of passes for T&C backstage so we went to see them. One of my best ever glast moments!!! 

1 minute ago, jow95 said:

So you're telling me there's loads of cool shit im never actually gonna see? As someone who trawls these forums in search of cool shit to go and see this is ever so frustrating haha

You certainly are not missing much at all, just another bar really. Shranglia does look cool though (if they do the same this year) with the tube train which is raised up on a platform.

17 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I would say they are about the same if not better. No idea on the Pyramid and other, mate says they are a bit dull.

Shangrila has a lovely big bar and then plenty of sitting with booths as well. In it is a tube train where a DJ plays form and table footy in the train

Wallys in the unfairground is good with DJs playing

Block 9 has Macheos (sp) with a great selection of beer and top DJs playing in there and a weird little dance floor. Big place that one

Arcadia was a great bar with lovely sitting and a platform you could go to and watch the action

Acoustic is a smashing bar with pool table and stage that bands play on

Park I have only every been in once and in the day. I remember straw bales and some great food

Bandstand I remember it being very lively  but have been quite drunk each time I have been in there

Interesting- quite a few of these have never got to! Maybe a Tuesday bimble is on the cards.... Does anyone know if Wallys is back? Was a nice escape from Shangri-madness!! 

But yes, the main thing is that they are a little bit cheaper and sometimes quieter and not necessarily 'better'..

3 minutes ago, lucyginger said:

I saw Squeeze there too last time! My friend was given a couple of passes for T&C backstage so we went to see them. One of my best ever glast moments!!! 

was very good. My mate runs the bar and puts a lot of effort into it. All profits go to Childrens World Charity which Arabella Churchill started