Volunteers! Does volunteering help in anyway getting quick access to Shrangri La?

5thtimer

4 minutes ago, 5thtimer said:

Not really a shrangri la man, but really want to see Elvana after The Killers, but I know I haven't got a prayer with the usual crowds. Is there a quicker way for staff/volunteers?

Volunteering with Oxfam if that makes any difference

Maybe...

There is an access route through Theatre and Circus crew area that has sometimes been usable in the past, and sometimes not. A crew wristband (except in very specific circumstances) will *NOT* allow you to beat the one-way system, or get past the barriers on the railway track.

5 minutes ago, 5thtimer said:

Not really a shrangri la man, but really want to see Elvana after The Killers, but I know I haven't got a prayer with the usual crowds. Is there a quicker way for staff/volunteers?

You may be able to charm your way in through the day access point if you flash your EPO wristband but it depends on what mood the security guards  are in.

Elvana are also playing on Williams Green earlier on the Friday (I think) so you've got an extra chance to see them!

Generally, I don't like workers pushing in front of punters when the worker is off duty. 

If you have a need to work beyond a restricted gate, then your wristband for that area will get you to that place of work.  For example, I work in The Park so I have various Park wristbands to allow me to do my job there.  But these do not work to cut through the Other / Pyramid inter-stage cut through as its nothing to do with me!  And rightly so.  When I'm not working I am free to bimble like a punter, that's enough of a perk for doing my work.

Does being a litter picker get you to dance onstage with Kylie?  No!

When you are off duty, workers should join the SE queue with the ticket paying punters.

They have paid!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Generally, I don't like workers pushing in front of punters when the worker is off duty. 

If you have a need to work beyond a restricted gate, then your wristband for that area will get you to that place of work.  For example, I work in The Park so I have various Park wristbands to allow me to do my job there.  But these do not work to cut through the Other / Pyramid inter-stage cut through as its nothing to do with me!  And rightly so.  When I'm not working I am free to bimble like a punter, that's enough of a perk for doing my work.

Does being a litter picker get you to dance onstage with Kylie?  No!

When you are off duty, workers should join the SE queue with the ticket paying punters.

They have paid!

I get that, but I do think you are giving up your time to keep the festival running, little perks like skipping a queue are a decent reward, as well as getting the festival for free. Obviously dancing on stage with Kylie is a bit too severe a punishment to be given to everyone 

6 minutes ago, 5thtimer said:

I get that, but I do think you are giving up your time to keep the festival running, little perks like skipping a queue are a decent reward, as well as getting the festival for free. Obviously dancing on stage with Kylie is a bit too severe a punishment to be given to everyone 

But you're not. You're giving up your time in exchange for a free ticket. 

I'm glad there are a host of volunteers as it helps keep the overall cost down (rather than having to pay staff) and I don't want to demean the volunteers but it shouldn't give you special privileges over paying customers other than potentially access to backstage bars depending on your role.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jfaragher said:

Maybe...

There is an access route through Theatre and Circus crew area that has sometimes been usable in the past, and sometimes not. A crew wristband (except in very specific circumstances) will *NOT* allow you to beat the one-way system, or get past the barriers on the railway track.

I'll be in Theatre & Circus camp again this year and they are super strict on the gates, and rightly so. There are two checkpoints for the cut-through that you've mentioned, both are effectively entrances/exits for the camp itself. I don't know if a volunteer wristband from another area would grant you access but I'd suggest not, unless you are a performer, worker, volunteer or guest in T&C camp.

1 hour ago, 5thtimer said:

Elvana are midnight Sunday if the list I saw was right so you have about 24 hrs to get there after Killers!

Is there a disabled access cut through which gets you into se corner?

I am having really bad issues with my guts and it is looking like I may have to go in hospital for IV steroids, if it does not start responding soon. There is no way I could manage those queues at the minute as I need to be in the eyeline of a toilet at all times. Anything that I have to queue for may have to be given a miss this year.

Edited by eastynh

12 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Is there a disabled access cut through which gets you into se corner?

I am having really bad issues with my guts and it is looking like I may have to go in hospital for IV steroids, if it does not start responding soon. There is no way I could manage those queues at the minute as I need to be in the eyeline of a toilet at all times. Anything that I have to queue for may have to be given a miss this year.

Yes there is, as long as you have an Accessibility wristband you can use the cut throughs. This is the Access map from 2015, see the yellow dots on the map for the cut throughs.  You will be given an updated one when you collect your pack. Hope you get your medication sorted before the festival. :)

2015-FINAL-ACCESS-MAP-v2.jpg

3 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

Yes there is, as long as you have an Accessibility wristband you can use the cut throughs. This is the Access map from 2015, see the yellow dots on the map for the cut throughs.  You will be given an updated one when you collect your pack. Hope you get your medication sorted before the festival. :)

Cheers mate. I do have access to the cut throughs. I have used them in the past but could not remember if there was one for the se corner.

I will make the most of no matter what. I was derermined to go this year and a poxy illness is not going to stop me. Would be nice if the oral steroids could get a grip of it as I dont want a week in hospital tbh. Will give it till Monday and see how I am. 

1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

4 minutes ago, benc said:

There must be thousands of off shift workers at any point, would make a mockery of the one way system if there were ways to circumvent it 

52 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'll be in Theatre & Circus camp again this year and they are super strict on the gates, and rightly so. There are two checkpoints for the cut-through that you've mentioned, both are effectively entrances/exits for the camp itself. I don't know if a volunteer wristband from another area would grant you access but I'd suggest not, unless you are a performer, worker, volunteer or guest in T&C camp.

I strongly agree with all these things.  And to add - don't be shitty with people if you try and fail to blag access to a bar / shortcut / non-public area.  There are good reasons for all the controls to be in place.

2 hours ago, 5thtimer said:

How strong is your blag game?

2 hours ago, ian the worm said:

^^ Absolutely correct, right and proper*

*Unless you've got good blag!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

This ^

I work at Green Welfare. That's immediately south of the railway track right at the junction where you exit from the one-way system. I can personally attest that those security guards will not let you through - even when it's pretty quiet. The one-way system is taken very seriously and it's just not worth the hassle they'd catch if they let the odd body slip through.

Related point, we very occasionally get a few punters trying to rush behind Welfare hoping they can cut through our camping area (full of sleepy shift-workers and kids) and through the hedge onto the track. I daresay Croissant Neuf get the same through their staff camping area too. These guys are not popular and that hedge is way pricklier than it looks. This strategy 100% never works.

28 minutes ago, deadstillstanding said:

I work at Green Welfare. That's immediately south of the railway track right at the junction where you exit from the one-way system. I can personally attest that those security guards will not let you through - even when it's pretty quiet. The one-way system is taken very seriously and it's just not worth the hassle they'd catch if they let the odd body slip through.

Related point, we very occasionally get a few punters trying to rush behind Welfare hoping they can cut through our camping area (full of sleepy shift-workers and kids) and through the hedge onto the track. I daresay Croissant Neuf get the same through their staff camping area too. These guys are not popular and that hedge is way pricklier than it looks. This strategy 100% never works.

kill joy ;)

8 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

I thought you had the new crew map for a minute there. 2017 map?

8 hours ago, deadstillstanding said:

You will probably see me alot as I like nothing more than to sit by the fire at welfare and chill out when my anxiety levels are on the rise which is on and off during the festival, feel safe there