TBAs 2019

Tuna

27 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

Forgive me if she is actually on the line-up but my colleague's cousin is Nadine Shah and she told her today that she's playing The Park! Not sure when though but could be one of the TBAs?

So she's performing as part of this set on the Saturday, although it would make sense for her to do a solo set at some point too

34 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

My mate is convinced that they're headlining in 2020 and they're doing what Killers did last time - play a TBA/Secret Set this time and then headline the next festival. He just can't decide if they're the JP Saturday headliners or on earlier in the day at The Park.

I think he's mad. 

Headlining the Other Stage maybe - I can't imagine them as Pyramid headliners??

18 minutes ago, WerkedIt219 said:

So she's performing as part of this set on the Saturday, although it would make sense for her to do a solo set at some point too

Thank you so much for bringing that to my attention. That's bang up my street and doesn't clash with anything I wanted to see.

My favourite thing about it is the top comment on the youtube video for Love's theme they linked to...

When I hear this song i hear nothing but class ..... nothing but the VERY best. Exquisite champagne, the finest selection of cheeses, a white table clothed table on an ocean liner, looking over the blue yonder of the sea. Surrounded by beautiful people, clapping in applause as Barry White and his Love orchestra play this on stage. Everyone is so happy. Everyone is celebrating. Everybody is cheering each other on! Nothing but class. Ladies dressed to the 9's, men in tuxedos and cufflinks. Aviator sunglasses, red lobster served in the finest silver coups, crisp white wine in fresh gold buckets of frosted ice blocks, people dancing, a man doin' the moonwalk on stage, women overjoyed, tunnel waterslides going off the rim of the ship and back inside again......... The 70s and 80s! THIS was the time of our lives my friends. Nowdays our world is filled with zombies on iphones with NO emotion, NO class, NO regard for others, NO regard for nothing. Void. GONE.

Don't know what that guy's on but I want some.

Edited by bombfrog

2 hours ago, Crossfit Jesus said:

I can't believe this whole thing of "The 1975 are the worst band that's ever existed" is still going on, it's really tedious at this point. As someone else said, they're one of, if not the biggest band that has emerged in the last 10 or so years and look the most likely to hit that "mega-star" status that people kept thinking bands like Foals, Alt-J, Wolf Alice, The XX etc would reach and haven't. Because of streaming and the way people consume music now it's unlikely we'll ever have bands at the level the Stones, Led Zep, Beatles reached ever again, but in my opinion they're the most likely of the current crop to get anywhere near that.

Fair enough if people don't like them, they're obviously not going to be to everyones taste, but to make out like them headlining would be the biggest travesty ever and completely undeserved is just disingenuous at this point.

I mean we could name a lot of acts who can play to large amounts of people, it doesn't mean they should headline Glastonbury. Mcdonalds shift millions of burgers everyday it doesn't mean it's better than a top quality steak. I think they're uninspiring and should have been forgotten about a while ago but people keep buying them tickets. People like what they like but i just don't see it myself

d1b17ff6dde7f23988e98f119f393ae2599cb610339cd5ee26c40e26847a2b9f.jpg

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Agreed - am a Foals fan but don't think they'll get past sub level. Someone needs to say to them: "It's over, you're second best."

Elbow syndrome, always the bridesmaid

1 hour ago, Sweet_pea said:

What?Exits, On the Luna, White Onions, SYRUPS?? They got Hackney absolutely stomping!! Horses for courses I guess. I am very much looking forward to hearing the next installment.

Just expected more from them in Manc. Jack looked like he didnt want to be there one bit. Yannis in the crowd is very predictable and it all just seemed robotic.

1 hour ago, mrchnry said:

Foals absolutely smashed it in Manchester this week. I'm not their biggest fan and wasnt really in the mood for a gig that night but they totally won me over. Baffled that people dont think they can headline when Stormzy is doing it after one album and Mumford and Sons have done it. 

Glasto are clearly backing grime hence the limelight on Stormzy and everyone last time around and I think he'll put on a better show than Foals ever would.

4 hours ago, redrog said:

Is it normal for William's Green to shut down for 2 hours every evening? I assume it is but I've never noticed it before 

4 hours ago, rawrsomesauce said:

I think so, not sure why they do. 

I think they take down the stage that bands use to make more room for DJ sets. 

This could be complete bollocks but when have I ever been wrong before?

Don't answer that.

21 hours ago, jow95 said:

I mean we could name a lot of acts who can play to large amounts of people, it doesn't mean they should headline Glastonbury. Mcdonalds shift millions of burgers everyday it doesn't mean it's better than a top quality steak. I think they're uninspiring and should have been forgotten about a while ago but people keep buying them tickets. People like what they like but i just don't see it myself

d1b17ff6dde7f23988e98f119f393ae2599cb610339cd5ee26c40e26847a2b9f.jpg

Agreed. There is a circular relationship between the supply and demand of music. The more something is broadcast on for example radio 1, the more popular it becomes, then the more it is broadcast and the more popular it becomes and the more its broadcast and the..

Thus the popularity of an act does not reflect the worth of the music.

The staying power is a better metric for the worth of music. In ten years time I guess foals, wolf Alice and these other bands mentioned could still be touring to solid crowds of dedicated fans whilst 1975 band members are more likely to be destined to be doing dj set tours of student unions.

In short, the 1975 are a fad, the music is uncomplicated, shallow and will not age well.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

The staying power is a better metric for the worth of music. In ten years time I guess foals, wolf Alice and these other bands mentioned could still be touring to solid crowds of dedicated fans whilst 1975 band members are more likely to be destined to be doing dj set tours of student unions.

In short, the 1975 are a fad, the music is uncomplicated, shallow and will not age well.

This is still guesswork.

Agreed. There is a circular relationship between the supply and demand of music. The more something is broadcast on for example radio 1, the more popular it becomes, then the more it is broadcast and the more popular it becomes and the more its broadcast and the..

de ja vu? yeah i agree completely but ya know what do we know right?

I wouldn’t call 3 number 1 albums from 2013-2018 a fad. Their latest album was very critically acclaimed also so I wouldn’t call their music shallow nor uncomplicated either

1 hour ago, xandercs12 said:

I wouldn’t call 3 number 1 albums from 2013-2018 a fad. Their latest album was very critically acclaimed also so I wouldn’t call their music shallow nor uncomplicated either

5 years is a fad, can't see almost anyone listening to any of those albums in 5 years time or 10, 20

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Aren't The 1975, Foals and Wolf Alice all much of a muchness, all uncomplicated and shallow to the same extent and all unlikely to go down in history as one of the greats. I'm sure there's fun to be had for fans off all three but I don't see how your serious music line includes some but not the other.

Cynically I don't think a lot of popular music knocking about right now will be talked about, listened to or remembered in 10-20 years time. Certainly a lot less than in the past. The amount of quality music in the mainstream seems to decline as time goes on. 

Streaming services a etc are obviously great for finding new music but I miss the feeling of opening a CD for the first time, reading the inlay and having a physical product in your hand to look after. I also find myself giving music less of a chance due to the infinite options and ease of just sticking literally anything else on. The paradox of choice and the paralysis of having too many options 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mattiloy said:

What you are saying about the 1975 in this thread, the media were saying exactly the same about Depeche Mode nearly 40 years ago. Look at how that one turned out. Left every single one of their contemporaries in their wake ?‍♂️