TBAs 2019

Tuna

On 5/29/2019 at 6:39 PM, Keithy said:

The diplo lad is still showing Glastonbury on his tour dates but with a weds date (so assuming that's just a 'start of fest date')

http://diplo.com/tour.html

But if he was still playing Glastonbury then his schedule would have been

Thurs : Denmark

Fri : Switzerland

Sat : Glastonbury 

Sun : Romania

Mon : Spain

Tues : Poland

He then does Thurs, Fri and Sat plus travel back to USA.

I reckon he's binned us off for a break in Switzerland and to go get himself a clock or something rather than 6 dates in a row, travelling around.

Diplo's tour page only showing Tinderbox and St Gallen in addition to Glastonbury. He was down for El Carrusel in Romania on Sunday but that's gone now..... more weight that he's doing something Sat night at Glastonbury and doesn't have to get to Romania the next day?

Screenshot_20190614-124418_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9846633922fa247831c964f92347ff44.jpg

15 hours ago, The Martini Police said:

Since when did who’s made the most appearances on Jonathan Ross determine who’s a better pyramid headliner? 

About the last 5-10 years.

It's not about who's best, is it? Otherwise DJ Shadow would headline the Pyramid every year.

Edited by bombfrog

38 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

very underwhelmed, glad she only has an hour. if she wasn't on the BBC she wouldn't be a headliner.  

Not necessarily my thing either but I'd argue that if she wasn't extremely popular she wouldn't have a BBC show. Look at it this way, she'll draw a decent sized crowd which in turn will free up some much needed elbow room across the site. It's not as if there's not already loads to see on Saturday night, is it? One less clash to worry about.

43 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

very underwhelmed, glad she only has an hour. if she wasn't on the BBC she wouldn't be a headliner.  

Whaaaaattt????

I mean, personal opinion and everything but you're definitely wrong. Saw her headline in John Peel a few years ago when there was nothing else on and it was one of the best nights I've had.

17 hours ago, Tuna said:

Roughly speaking, some of the bigger ones.

THURSDAY

William's Green: 19:30-20:10, 20:30-21:10 - Pale Waves, The Big Moon, ...

FRIDAY

Crow's nest: Black Midi (time?)
Crow's nest: Sports Team (16:00-16:30)

SATURDAY

Park stage: 11:30-12:10 - ? 
Park stage: 18:15-19:15 - Foals

John Peel tent: 22:30-23:45 - Silk City (based on Diplo disappearing, and Mark Ronson being around) 

Arcadia 02:00-03:00 - ?

SUNDAY

Crow's Nest: Snapped Ankles (~01:00)

Expect a lot of these to crop up on Crows Nest: 
- Sports Team, Fontaines DC, Hot Chip miscellenia, Self Esteem, Squid, Flamingods, Pip Blom, Orielles

Black Midi is 11pm

also in agreement that Foals wont make the step up to headline unless the next album is humongous. Saw them at Gorilla and they were tip top (hard to fail in there) but werent great at Victoria Warehouse this week. Crappy venue didnt help but the latest album doesnt sound big enough live. In Degrees falls super flat when it should be one of the songs that really gets people moving. I predicted them to headline next year but dont think it'll happen now.

Agreed 1975 will headline very soon though,  and I have £100 with a mate that Billie Eilish will headline one of the next 5x Glastos - stupid bet or nah?

Back to the weather thread...

3 hours ago, jow95 said:

Only a matter of years before we face something like this? Of course not but it’s a worry isn’t it, when people are considering the 1975 for glasto headliner something is very very wrong

E1B1189F-9EBC-46BB-8CEC-75481C1B5ED2.jpeg

I can't believe this whole thing of "The 1975 are the worst band that's ever existed" is still going on, it's really tedious at this point. As someone else said, they're one of, if not the biggest band that has emerged in the last 10 or so years and look the most likely to hit that "mega-star" status that people kept thinking bands like Foals, Alt-J, Wolf Alice, The XX etc would reach and haven't. Because of streaming and the way people consume music now it's unlikely we'll ever have bands at the level the Stones, Led Zep, Beatles reached ever again, but in my opinion they're the most likely of the current crop to get anywhere near that.

Fair enough if people don't like them, they're obviously not going to be to everyones taste, but to make out like them headlining would be the biggest travesty ever and completely undeserved is just disingenuous at this point.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Whaaaaattt????

I mean, personal opinion and everything but you're definitely wrong. Saw her headline in John Peel a few years ago when there was nothing else on and it was one of the best nights I've had.

Just don;t see the appeal, she is a very safe booking i suppose, was just hoping for bigger and better to finish off the saturday night.  i can see why she is there given it is only an hour slot 

6 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

Just don;t see the appeal, she is a very safe booking i suppose, was just hoping for bigger and better to finish off the saturday night.  i can see why she is there given it is only an hour slot 

She's just a great DJ. She's got a ridiculous genre-spanning knowledge of electronic music and just seems to know which tunes work well and when to play them. It's not about bing great at mixing, or playing records that nobody else is playing, it's about playing the right ones at the right time and knowing who to play them to.

On the other hand, I see so many "BAND NAME (DJ set)" listings on the lineup and my first thought is they'll be terrible because they're playing at being a DJ, not doing it every night.

36 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

also in agreement that Foals wont make the step up to headline unless the next album is humongous. Saw them at Gorilla and they were tip top (hard to fail in there) but werent great at Victoria Warehouse this week. Crappy venue didnt help but the latest album doesnt sound big enough live. In Degrees falls super flat when it should be one of the songs that really gets people moving. I predicted them to headline next year but dont think it'll happen now.

Agreed 1975 will headline very soon though,  and I have £100 with a mate that Billie Eilish will headline one of the next 5x Glastos - stupid bet or nah?

Back to the weather thread...

Agreed - am a Foals fan but don't think they'll get past sub level. Someone needs to say to them: "It's over, you're second best."

Edited by Homer

37 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

Saw them at Gorilla and they were tip top (hard to fail in there) but werent great at Victoria Warehouse this week. Crappy venue didnt help but the latest album doesnt sound big enough live. In Degrees falls super flat when it should be one of the songs that really gets people moving.

What?Exits, On the Luna, White Onions, SYRUPS?? They got Hackney absolutely stomping!! Horses for courses I guess. I am very much looking forward to hearing the next installment.

Foals absolutely smashed it in Manchester this week. I'm not their biggest fan and wasnt really in the mood for a gig that night but they totally won me over. Baffled that people dont think they can headline when Stormzy is doing it after one album and Mumford and Sons have done it. 

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Foals are in that group of second tier acts like The National and Nick Cave who haven't quite managed to make the step up from arenas and smaller festivals to full blown Glastonbury headliner sized behemoths.

Na, Foals have a number well-recognised UK hits. The National, unfortunately for most of the country, have none. And Nick Cave has that one off peaky blinders. (I prefer the National to Foals and I like Nick Cave btw, they’re just simply not as well-known). I would suggest their crowds as subs support this too. 

1 hour ago, mrchnry said:

Surprised theres so little talk of Black Keys. Presenter on radio x in the very early hours all but confirmed they will be there. 

My mate is convinced that they're headlining in 2020 and they're doing what Killers did last time - play a TBA/Secret Set this time and then headline the next festival. He just can't decide if they're the JP Saturday headliners or on earlier in the day at The Park.

I think he's mad. 

13 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Na, Foals have a number well-recognised UK hits. The National, unfortunately for most of the country, have none. And Nick Cave has that one off peaky blinders. (I prefer the National to Foals and I like Nick Cave btw, they’re just simply not as well-known). I would suggest their crowds as subs support this too. 

Genuinely not saying this to be contrary, but the only Foals song I think I know is the one played on 6music at the moment. And then it leaves my head the instant I'm not listening to it. Completely off my radar.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Genuinely not saying this to be contrary, but the only Foals song I think I know is the one played on 6music at the moment. And then it leaves my head the instant I'm not listening to it. Completely off my radar.

You don't know My Number?

• Upvote 1