Gerry Cinnamon

ITK19889

Really hoping so! 

Definitely won’t be to everyone’s liking but opinions are what make discussing music/festivals all the better!

He’s growing rapidly in specific areas of music/festival fans, could definitely see him there!

• Upvote 1

I was literally about to come on here and find somewhere to post about this! I'm one of the "not everyone's cup of tea" crowd but he was on at Neighbourhood Weekender on Sunday, and got a huge crowd of extremely hammered folks. Who then must've left because it was only busy when he was on...at 5pm. Buses down from Scotland perhaps?

Anyway - can someone explain the appeal? A genuine question, I found it all a bit perplexing to be honest....and I'm a courteeners fan so no stranger to rubbish rowdy music but I dont get this one at all! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I was literally about to come on here and find somewhere to post about this! I'm one of the "not everyone's cup of tea" crowd but he was on at Neighbourhood Weekender on Sunday, and got a huge crowd of extremely hammered folks. Who then must've left because it was only busy when he was on...at 5pm. Buses down from Scotland perhaps?

Anyway - can someone explain the appeal? A genuine question, I found it all a bit perplexing to be honest....and I'm a courteeners fan so no stranger to rubbish rowdy music but I dont get this one at all! 

He's just a bit shit imo and can happily be passed by.

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Anyway - can someone explain the appeal?

The music is quite simple and catchy, he seems like a lovely guy and I think he’s just riding a wave, it does help that he’s hugely popular in Scotland (almost exclusive because he’s from there)

I really like him, understand why people don’t but the atmosphere at some of his gigs/festival performances look almost unparalleled for an artist of his size

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

For people 10 years younger than Courteeners fans.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, eastynh said:

For people 10 years younger than Courteeners fans.

Makes sense, though I think he's tapped into that fanbase since supporting them as it didnt seem that young a crowd at the weekend. Mad that so many people seemed to come to see him that early and then left! 

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Makes sense, though I think he's tapped into that fanbase since supporting them as it didnt seem that young a crowd at the weekend. Mad that so many people seemed to come to see him that early and then left! 

Were they selling Buckfast?

If we have anyone Scottish I want Sacred Paws.

Amazing melodic guitar with cool rythms. Their first album won Scottish album of the year & their 2nd album is due out shortly.

2 main song writers are female, one of which is BAME so Emily E if your reading you can increase diversity with this awesome Scottish band. And I imagine they are at a stage of their career where they wouldn't be that expensive.

In the words of Mrs Doyle, go oan go oan go on.

Back to Gerry Cinnamon, think he built a small following by being in a band called the cinnamon's.

Seemed to explode for him after playing Transmit. Think in Scotland people relate to the fact his song lyrics are written in a similar way to the average person talks.

Also he does a medley of old 90s dance tunes that goes down well.

He seemed mainly to appeal to neds(Scottish equivalent of a chav) at first but now he's going more mainstream.

Don't think his song writing is anything special, but he does seem good at working an audience.

His appeal is mainly to the Ned (chav) element from the west of Scotland though the sing a long catchy tunes are ok if you are steaming (pissed) and up for an empty (parents away for the night and an impromptu teenage party arranged).  

The  bevvy of choice (alcoholic drink) is usually Buckie ( a tonic wine formally favoured by gentile old ladies produced by monks in a quant English abbey)  and usually puts the weans (kids) affthurnuts (a bit crazy) .  It can end up in a right rammy (fight). The night ends with copious boaking (vomiting) 

that about sums up a typical Gerry fan.  I have interpreted for those who might not understand the ned\ chav speak.  

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

His appeal is mainly to the Ned (chav) element from the west of Scotland though the sing a long catchy tunes are ok if you are steaming (pissed) and up for an empty (parents away for the night and an impromptu teenage party arranged).  

The  bevvy of choice (alcoholic drink) is usually Buckie ( a tonic wine formally favoured by gentile old ladies produced by monks in a quant English abbey)  and usually puts the weans (kids) affthurnuts (a bit crazy) .  It can end up in a right rammy (fight). The night ends with copious boaking (vomiting) 

that about sums up a typical Gerry fan.  I have interpreted for those who might not understand the ned\ chav speak.  

Never quite got the hype around him up here. Similarly with Limmy the comedian.  I do like a wee tipple of Devons finest claret though! 

1 hour ago, found home in 2009 said:

Back to Gerry Cinnamon, think he built a small following by being in a band called the cinnamon's.

Seemed to explode for him after playing Transmit. Think in Scotland people relate to the fact his song lyrics are written in a similar way to the average person talks.

Also he does a medley of old 90s dance tunes that goes down well.

He seemed mainly to appeal to neds(Scottish equivalent of a chav) at first but now he's going more mainstream.

Don't think his song writing is anything special, but he does seem good at working an audience.

Don't be saying about the 90s dance covers lol, it went down like lead previously.

It's upbeat, lighthearted and everyone jumps about to him. Nope he's not reinventing music but honestly what's not to like? It's just good fun. If you're going to turn your nose up at acts like this then ultimately you're eventually going to miss out.

Edited by EamerRed
  • Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Never liked the taste of buckfast, maybe trying to teach science to a class full of teenagers who had spent the previous evening drinking the Coatbridge Chardonnay has influenced my opinion of it! 

If that was mid 80s at St Pat's was probably me....

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think he's awesome.

It's incredible the amount of musical snobbery on this forum. 

Everyone has different tastes yet some consider it okay to rubbish / put down others due to it.

100% this. I always whinge about it I know, but it's a forum that prides itself on being friendly and having the Glasto vibe, but only until you like a band that's not on the pre-approved list!

Just let people enjoy what they enjoy. And don't complain unless the artist has a moral reason to be disliked.