Slam Dunk Festival 2020

Dukey

I think they are going to continually pull the line up out the bag from now on. They will iron out any issues with the bar that they had, as they know people aren't happy, I wouldn't not go again because of the bar issues. 

I would like to see them get some bigger bands next year for the main stage (at least for the headliners anyway), I think Slam Dunk has the potential to become something really quite big within the next five years.

There's absolutely no reason they can't be booking bands like Blink or Paramore and be doing 40,000+ tickets across the two sites.

I’m sticking with what I said a few weeks ago; within a decade, Slam Dunk will be a two site festival like Reading & Leeds with full camping facilities. There will be a two day lineup rotating over both sites on a bank holiday Saturday/Sunday. 

I’m obviously not saying that the capacity will be as much as R&L but with how much the festival has grown since it’s inception in 2006 and the way it continues to, I don’t think it is far fetched that they end up being the kind of festival described above.

Slam Dunk is a strong established brand now that does better and better each year and I can see them being able to book the bigger bands such as Paramore and Blink-182 and to a lesser extent ADTR and BMTH in the not so distant future. On top of that, they’ve always been good at promoting bands to headliner status at the festival and I think that will continue with your Don Brocos and Frank Carters of the world. 

Edited by Andre91

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I’m sticking with what I said a few weeks ago; within a decade, Slam Dunk will be a two site festival like Reading & Leeds with full camping facilities. There will be a two day lineup rotating over both sites on a bank holiday Saturday/Sunday.

I’m obviously not saying that the capacity will be as much as R&L but with how much the festival has grown since it’s inception in 2006 and the way it continues to, I don’t think it is far fetched that they end up being the kind of festival described above.

Slam Dunk is a strong established brand now that does better and better each year and I can see them being able to book the bigger bands such as Paramore and Blink-182 and to a lesser extent ADTR and BMTH in the not so distant future. 

Completely agree with this and honestly hope it does happen. Hopefully it doesn't take them a decade as I will be far too old then.

Tbh it doesn't really matter who the mainstage acts or headliners are as they never do much for me. I just need a good undercard on the PID/Fireball stage as well as a few decent acts on the Dickies and Impericon, preferably ones I've not seen a dozen or so times before too.

Top of my list would be Fucked Up, Dubioza Kolektiv, Hoffmaestro, Streetlight Manifesto, The Soap Girls, Barstool Preachers, Siberian Meat Grinder, Moscow Death Brigade, The Dead Pets, Star Fucking Hipsters, Body Count etc. Also they should be on stages far away from the teenie-poppers on the mainstage.

Edited by jump

16 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Angels & Airwaves to play? I think they’d make a good sub. 

Let's not go from NFG to AVA 

16 hours ago, juneau said:

Alkaline Trio, Taking Back Sunday, The Offspring, Flogging Molly, Red City Radio, Pennywise, Goldfinger, Dropkick Murphys. 

Not exactly asking much ?

Money....gone 

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Slam Dunk is a strong established brand now that does better and better each year and I can see them being able to book the bigger bands such as Paramore and Blink-182 and to a lesser extent ADTR and BMTH in the not so distant future. On top of that, they’ve always been good at promoting bands to headliner status at the festival and I think that will continue with your Don Brocos and Frank Carters of the world. 

If it reaches this level then Reading may struggle or go much more mainstream. I hope it doesn't happen personally, it's as big as I'd like it to be and as costly too.

6 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Let's not go from NFG to AVA 

Money....gone 

If it reaches this level then Reading may struggle or go much more mainstream. I hope it doesn't happen personally, it's as big as I'd like it to be and as costly too.

I honestly don’t think that Reading will ever struggle badly. They are and always have been the zeitgeist festival and as long as they continue to be that, they’ll be fine. 

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I honestly don’t think that Reading will ever struggle badly. They are and always have been the zeitgeist festival and as long as they continue to be that, they’ll be fine. 

If Slam Dunk did get even bigger it could turn into acts that would get a sub/3rd more likely i admit at Reading start topping SD over itvss preferrnce. With the amount of rock fests earlier in the year in Europe etc and the mention of ADTR/Paramore going about, it could be more advertising for them. It's not so bad when avalanche and PiD share but even that was more than expected.

Just now, thewayiam said:

If Slam Dunk did get even bigger it could turn into acts that would get a sub/3rd more likely i admit at Reading start topping SD over itvss preferrnce. With the amount of rock fests earlier in the year in Europe etc and the mention of ADTR/Paramore going about, it could be more advertising for them. It's not so bad when avalanche and PiD share but even that was more than expected.

I don’t think it would matter. Look at ADTR this year, I don’t think many people were expecting them and realistically, when are ADTR going to play R&L again after subbing this year? I can’t see them headlining whereas I can see that happen down the line at Download. 

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I don’t think it would matter. Look at ADTR this year, I don’t think many people were expecting them and realistically, when are ADTR going to play R&L again after subbing this year? I can’t see them headlining whereas I can see that happen down the line at Download. 

We didn't but if they were doing SD with a host of rock, metal and punk acts the same day for cheaper as apposed to a couple of rockier bands then a different type of rap or hip hop etc where is most of people's money heading.

Say Reading was ADTR and Frank Carter with the likes of Yungblud like this year, don't get me wrong I get that day does have rock on it. But then say you got a day at SD with them headlining and an array or similar that was there but for £25 less where do you put your money.

Main Stage: A Day To Remember (Homesick in full) or Don Broco, Sum 41, Busted, The Story So Far, State Champs, Citizen, Milk Teeth, Dream State, Special Guest Opener: Simple Creatures. 

Punk In Drublic (The Hangover): Descendants, The Vandals, Flogging Molly, Goldfinger,OFF!, Snuff, Bad Cop/Bad Cop.

Impericon: Alexisonfire, Basement, Turnstile (Can see them coming back for a higher slot), Defeater, Drug Church, Show Me The Body, Single Mothers, Higher Power.

Jagermister Stage: Papa Roach, While She Sleeps, Ghostemane, Black Peaks, Blood Youth, Venom Prison, Employed To Serve.

Dickies: Frank Iero & The Future Violents, Marmozets, FIDLAR, Pup, ROAM, Joyce Manor, Jamie Lenman, Muncie Girls, Spanish Love Songs,

Marshall Amp: The Wonder Years, A, Culture Abuse, Iron Chic, Puppy, Dune Rats, VUKOVI, Hot Milk, Nervus, 

Key Club: Black Futures, Normandie, Wicca Phase Spring Enternal, Free Throw, Yours Truly, Happy Accidents, Muskets, High Praise

Acoustic Stage: Jamie Lenman, Cavetown, Rob Lynch, Aaron West & The Roaring Twenties.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

Main Stage: A Day To Remember (Homesick in full) or Don Broco, Sum 41, Busted, The Story So Far, State Champs, Citizen, Milk Teeth, Dream State, Special Guest Opener: Simple Creatures. 

Punk In Drublic (The Hangover): Descendants, The Vandals, Flogging Molly, Goldfinger,OFF!, Snuff, Bad Cop/Bad Cop.

Impericon: Alexisonfire, Basement, Turnstile (Can see them coming back for a higher slot), Defeater, Drug Church, Show Me The Body, Single Mothers, Higher Power.

Jagermister Stage: Papa Roach, While She Sleeps, Ghostemane, Black Peaks, Blood Youth, Venom Prison, Employed To Serve.

Dickies: Frank Iero & The Future Violents, Marmozets, FIDLAR, Pup, ROAM, Joyce Manor, Jamie Lenman, Muncie Girls, Spanish Love Songs,

Marshall Amp: The Wonder Years, A, Culture Abuse, Iron Chic, Puppy, Dune Rats, VUKOVI, Hot Milk, Nervus, 

Key Club: Black Futures, Normandie, Wicca Phase Spring Enternal, Free Throw, Yours Truly, Happy Accidents, Muskets, High Praise

Acoustic Stage: Jamie Lenman, Cavetown, Rob Lynch, Aaron West & The Roaring Twenties.

That’d be incredible. 

Personally, I’d take Busted out and push everyone else up one. I think the secret set was a one off and tbh they’re big enough to headline in terms of the arenas they play.  I also can’t see Simple Creatures happening as an opener. I don’t think Papa Roach would play but you could have WSS headlining that stage. Turnstile coming back would be awesome but I think they’ll be working on new material next year. 

Other than that, that would top this year’s lineup. 

Edited by Andre91

8 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

That’d be incredible. 

Personally, I’d take Busted out and push everyone else up one. I think the secret set was a me off and tbh they’re big enough to headline on terms of the arenas they play.  I also can’t see Simple Creatures happening as an opener. I don’t think Papa Roach would play but you could have WSS headlining that stage. Turnstile coming back would be awesome but I think they’ll be working on new material next year. 

Other than that, that would top this year’s lineup. 

Come to think of take Turnstile out of the lineup for 2020 if they are working on new music, hopefully the new album is amazing and does really well, bring them back in 2021 to headline the Impericon Stage. Turnstile out replaced by Title fight UK festival Exclusive.

7 hours ago, Alex Winstone said:

It's decent, doesn't top this year for me and I agree I don't think Papa Rsoch would play.

On 5/29/2019 at 4:01 PM, Andre91 said:

Nah, I can see it maybe becoming like Parklife or Field Day by being a two day fest but not camping in the next 10 years. I just think there are too many problems for it to be feasible.

Also the headline pool is tiny and even if the festival grows it'll have to recycle headliners frequently. Yeah it can get bigger ones but it can't use the same older ones and expect to thrive. Even if it gets bands like Blink or BMTH to headline it can't exactly go back to JEW or YM@6 again.

7 hours ago, justanothername said:

Also the headline pool is tiny and even if the festival grows it'll have to recycle headliners frequently. Yeah it can get bigger ones but it can't use the same older ones and expect to thrive. Even if it gets bands like Blink or BMTH to headline it can't exactly go back to JEW or YM@6 again.

I think Slam Dunk is abit different as they are using multiple stages and headliners to sell the festival rather than one (even if one of the names is bigger than the others) so they can get away with repeat smaller headliners. Besides it's not as if they are fussed with repeat bookings.

1 hour ago, jump said:

I think Slam Dunk is abit different as they are using multiple stages and headliners to sell the festival rather than one (even if one of the names is bigger than the others) so they can get away with repeat smaller headliners. Besides it's not as if they are fussed with repeat bookings.

I'd agree - I tend to go mostly for the olders PiD type bands and there isn't that much choice for these, so are bound to get regular repeats of LTJ/RBF/BFS/Goldfinger/NFG and I love that.  There's always a few curveballs or rarer bands who pop up.  Plus some newer bands that I wouldn't have found otherwise (like the Interrupters). 

53 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

I'd agree - I tend to go mostly for the olders PiD type bands and there isn't that much choice for these, so are bound to get regular repeats of LTJ/RBF/BFS/Goldfinger/NFG and I love that.  There's always a few curveballs or rarer bands who pop up.  Plus some newer bands that I wouldn't have found otherwise (like the Interrupters). 

The Interrupters were main reason I went this year, it was the 3rd time I saw them but they are a pain to see live. They are at the early stage of American band starting to tour Europe so it's at support slots for huge expensive bands like Green Day or playing venues too small for them whilst they figure out the audience size like selling out the Boston Music Rooms in London.

43 minutes ago, jump said:

The Interrupters were main reason I went this year, it was the 3rd time I saw them but they are a pain to see live. They are at the early stage of American band starting to tour Europe so it's at support slots for huge expensive bands like Green Day or playing venues too small for them whilst they figure out the audience size like selling out the Boston Music Rooms in London.

I've been in to them for a couple of years, but Slam Dunk was my first time seeing them. I'm hoping they might come back later this year, main support on the Fireball tour could be a shout. I hope so anyway, as they were easily my band of the day (well them and Turnstile) and now i'm proper itching to see them again.

Had a go at a line up prediction myself when I excitedly got back from the festival this year. Though I think it's a bit ambitious...

Main Stage
Blink 182 / Sum 41 / The Story So Far / The Front Bottoms / State Champs / Billy Talent / A / Dream State

Jagermeister
Architects / Of Mice And Men / Fever 333 / Underoath / Our Last Night / Stray From The Path / Holding Absence

Impericon
Alexisonfire / Converge / Thrice / Every Time I Die / Counterparts / Gouge Away / Loathe

PiD / Fireball
The Distillers / Mighty Mighty Bosstones / The Vandals / Flogging Molly / Teenage Bottlerocket / The Ataris / The Lawrence Arms / Bad Cop/Bad Cop / Direct Hit!

Dickies
Against Me / Beach Slang / Joyce Manor / Into It Over It / Slaughter Beach, Dog / Free Throw / Spanish Love Songs

Marshall
The Wonder Years / Mayday Parade / Pup / The Dangerous Summer / Grayscale / Have Mercy / Aaron West and the Roaring 20s

Key Left
Against The Current / The Faim / Vukovi / Can't Swim / Lotus Eater / Martha / Nervus

Key Right
Palaye Royale / nothing,nowhere / Stand Atlantic / The Xcerts / Woes / cleopatrick / Muncie Girls

5 hours ago, Andrinald said:

Had a go at a line up prediction myself when I excitedly got back from the festival this year. Though I think it's a bit ambitious...

Main Stage
Blink 182 / Sum 41 / The Story So Far / The Front Bottoms / State Champs / Billy Talent / A / Dream State

Jagermeister
Architects / Of Mice And Men / Fever 333 / Underoath / Our Last Night / Stray From The Path / Holding Absence

Impericon
Alexisonfire / Converge / Thrice / Every Time I Die / Counterparts / Gouge Away / Loathe

PiD / Fireball
The Distillers / Mighty Mighty Bosstones / The Vandals / Flogging Molly / Teenage Bottlerocket / The Ataris / The Lawrence Arms / Bad Cop/Bad Cop / Direct Hit!

Dickies
Against Me / Beach Slang / Joyce Manor / Into It Over It / Slaughter Beach, Dog / Free Throw / Spanish Love Songs

Marshall
The Wonder Years / Mayday Parade / Pup / The Dangerous Summer / Grayscale / Have Mercy / Aaron West and the Roaring 20s

Key Left
Against The Current / The Faim / Vukovi / Can't Swim / Lotus Eater / Martha / Nervus

Key Right
Palaye Royale / nothing,nowhere / Stand Atlantic / The Xcerts / Woes / cleopatrick / Muncie Girls

All over that main stage with a bit of Flogging Molly to break it up. The Distillers aren't going to play PiD stage though I doubt, Jager yes but I doubt they'll play.