Wednesday Arrival

Bunbow

Hello all, in need of advice from more experienced Glasto goers than I! Will be arriving at Gate A around 1pm on Wednesday. Would it be too optimistic to hope for a space in Park Home/ Dairy Ground (ideally on higher ground)? We have a large 4-man tent. Hoping we won't have left it too late!

Thanks everyone!

Is that arriving at the car park near Gate A at 1pm? If so take into account the walk from your car to the gate is around 1-2 miles, as far as camping at Dairy Ground I'm not sure as I always go to Hitchin Hill and never struggle.

Edited by Kalopsia

5 minutes ago, Bunbow said:

Hello all, in need of advice from more experienced Glasto goers than I! Will be arriving at Gate A around 1pm on Wednesday. Would it be too optimistic to hope for a space in Park Home/ Dairy Ground (ideally on higher ground)? We have a large 4-man tent. Hoping we won't have left it too late!

Thanks everyone!

You will 100% get a space at the Dairy Ground. It isnt full until late Thursday - its huge and is one of the last places to fully fill up.

I should know I camp there every year ?

58 minutes ago, Bunbow said:

Thanks everyone!

Hey mate.

I have camped in dairy ground by Gate D every festival since 2010. You will have no problems whatsoever. Will be ample room through til about Thursday afternoon. Even then there's still patches available.

1 hour ago, buffy394 said:

You will 100% get a space at the Dairy Ground. It isnt full until late Thursday - its huge and is one of the last places to fully fill up.

I should know I camp there every year ?

Aye, we fit 3 tents in a circle with some shared central space turning up overnight wed night>thurs morning in the past.  A 4 man would be no struggle.  Good camping and neighbours round those parts in my experience.  Just don't camp downhill from waterpoints or toilets and you'll be grand.

13 minutes ago, Bunbow said:

Getting the train from London then shuttle from Castle Cary so I'm hoping it won't be as far to walk...

I am also doing this - pilgrimage from Walthamstow!

I've done the walk 4 times and have yet to die. It's totally fine - bit of an uphill slog but doable. We come in at ped gate A and camp when we see Ped gate D near the fence. Takes about 30 mins :)

And also not gonna lie - the atmosphere is quiet. That's why we have always camped there. It's about 40-45 mins walk from the naughty corner so is much more chilled.

It's still great and we have a fab time there, however this year we will be moving to either Paines or Park Home for a bit of a more lively one :)

We camp in Park Home - we had a HUGE tent in 2017 and it took a bit of management to find a spec for it. I couldn't tell you what time we got in but I think it would be around midday ish.

We left the North West at 3.30am and the gates were open when we got there. It was a long, long queue getting in though. 

We are taking a smaller 5 man this time, and the others have a 4 man. 

We had really decent neighbours and my mate has only ever camped in or around Park Home. Depending on your evening plans, Arcadia will impact your sleep! So be ready to outlast it is the simple solution. 

Edited by vintagelaureate

2 hours ago, buffy394 said:

And also not gonna lie - the atmosphere is quiet. That's why we have always camped there. It's about 40-45 mins walk from the naughty corner so is much more chilled.

It's still great and we have a fab time there, however this year we will be moving to either Paines or Park Home for a bit of a more lively one :)

I was worried that Dairy was a bit too quiet for us too - Paines is a good call!

Does anyone know when the queues begin to die down on the Wednesday? 

I live 30 minutes from Pilton and my initial plan was to get there around 7am but as my tent is already gonna be set up in T&C there doesn't seem much point in adding to the numbers, especially if we have particularly hot or wet conditions. If I got to the site around midday would I have a shorter wait than if I arrived at 7am? I appreciate that this is all hypothetical of course and subject to a number of factors, I've only arrived really early before, maybe someone with some experience of both could field this one?

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I live 30 minutes from Pilton and my initial plan was to get there around 7am but as my tent is already gonna be set up in T&C there doesn't seem much point in adding to the numbers, especially if we have particularly hot or wet conditions. If I got to the site around midday would I have a shorter wait than if I arrived at 7am? I appreciate that this is all hypothetical of course and subject to a number of factors, I've only arrived really early before, maybe someone with some experience of both could field this one?

I know from Gate C in recent years, there was no more than a 15 minute queue from around 11:30 onwards.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Think it’s really hard to call, we were still in a massive q for gate A last time at 12, but the year before that I’m sure the queues had died down by then, would check posts on here on the day to get an idea of what’s happening. 

Charm x 

1 hour ago, Charm said:

Think it’s really hard to call, we were still in a massive q for gate A last time at 12, but the year before that I’m sure the queues had died down by then, would check posts on here on the day to get an idea of what’s happening. 

Charm x 

That's a great shout. Thanks, Charm

1 hour ago, Charm said:

Charm x 

Really from gate A, I’m sure we arrived about 12 (7am London coach) and whilst it was bigger than previous years with the extra security I don’t remember waiting more than about 15 mins to get in. Our mates who were coming in from D however were an hour earlier and we beat them in

25 minutes ago, Barneym said:

Really from gate A, I’m sure we arrived about 12 (7am London coach) and whilst it was bigger than previous years with the extra security I don’t remember waiting more than about 15 mins to get in. Our mates who were coming in from D however were an hour earlier and we beat them in

We weren’t in the coach queue, the other side of gate A was mental. 

Charm x

http://einr4o.jpg

Edited by Charm

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:00 PM, Bunbow said:

Thanks everyone!

We always camp in Paines. It's still pretty quiet, but it's a good spot in my opinion. Close enough to the action. Far enough away to be able to be able to get some sleep. Easy to find from Arcadia too.

1 hour ago, Charm said:

We weren’t in the coach queue, the other side of gate A was mental. 

Charm x

Was that in 2017? I couldn't work out what was going on when I arrived, via shuttle from the Showground, at PGA at around 4:30am.

I had prevoiusly gotten off the coach and lined up down the side of the fence, where Gate A queues. But last year nobody was there! Stewards were ushering PGA arrivals to a massive queue some way away that seemed to include car arrivals as well. I assumed this was for bag checks and we'd eventually pop out at PGA again, but the queue was so huge it wasn't moving.

Eventually another steward appeared and called for anyone intending to camp at Pennards to walk to the back of Gate D's queue. So I never actually queued at PGA despite arriving by shuttle. It all felt really chaotic and badly organised.

37 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Was that in 2017? I couldn't work out what was going on when I arrived, via shuttle from the Showground, at PGA at around 4:30am.

I had prevoiusly gotten off the coach and lined up down the side of the fence, where Gate A queues. But last year nobody was there! Stewards were ushering PGA arrivals to a massive queue some way away that seemed to include car arrivals as well. I assumed this was for bag checks and we'd eventually pop out at PGA again, but the queue was so huge it wasn't moving.

Eventually another steward appeared and called for anyone intending to camp at Pennards to walk to the back of Gate D's queue. So I never actually queued at PGA despite arriving by shuttle. It all felt really chaotic and badly organised.

Yeah it was 2017, mad that you ended up on the car park side, sadly the stewards had no idea what was going on, we were heading for gate D and were told A had no queues which was an absolute lie. 

Charm x