Big Weekend Sets on iPlayer

bombfrog

5 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Considering making a flag with "PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN YOU CNUT" on it and then using it to knock the phones out of the hands of anyone within a 30ft radius. I could watch the music back when I got home on BBC after all. 

so how would you deal with the flags then ? fire breathing dragon ? :) 

11 minutes ago, betharm said:

I really enjoyed Foals, Stormzy and Vampire Weekend on Saturday. Amongst others of course. 

Just watched the BBC footage back and Foals sounded rubbish. I just don't think it came across very well on the telly. 

Sounds about right. I did assume it must have sounded better for the crowd. Must have been the same guy mixing the sound for Vampire Weekend as they were in the tent too.

Meh I feel with phones it's worse with younger audiences. No surprise that there were a ton of phones out for Stormzy & Billie's set due to their respective audiences and the overall audience of the festival. Shouldn't be quite as bad at Glasto.

Personally I'll take a couple sly photos or record a chorus of one of my favourite acts but that's as far as I'll go. If you're stood there phone aloft recording for minutes on end you're ruining the experience not only for yourself but the people behind you.

2 hours ago, deadpheasant said:

Meh I feel with phones it's worse with younger audiences. No surprise that there were a ton of phones out for Stormzy & Billie's set due to their respective audiences and the overall audience of the festival. Shouldn't be quite as bad at Glasto.

Personally I'll take a couple sly photos or record a chorus of one of my favourite acts but that's as far as I'll go. If you're stood there phone aloft recording for minutes on end you're ruining the experience not only for yourself but the people behind you.

I took my DSLR in 2007 or 8 I think so I could take some proper photos. Took it out of the lockups for a whole day on the thursday and got some lovely shots, but I put it back in the lockups once the music started becuase without press or VIP access you're not going to be able to get a photo of anybody on stage. I sort of understand the phone camera thing for people standing right up the front because they can actually see it (and because it's too rammed for anybody to dance anyway) but this experience I had at the Chems was over half way back. Mental.

Edited by bombfrog

Took my Panasonic GX1 and a couple of zoom lenses in 2011/2013 and got some cracking pictures on Wednesday/Thursday and of U2 as managed to get one back from the rail.

But it was a PITA to lug 4-5Kg of camera kit around the site, at least with beer the bag gets lighter during the day.

I then locked it away and used a compact camera for the rest of the weekend (mainly for snaps between acts). 

Unless the lighting is perfect and you're on the rail then 90% of the time the pictures are average to crap. 

I tend to take a picture at every set I go to - mainly to remind me who I've seen....

5 hours ago, bombfrog said:

I took my DSLR in 2007 or 8 I think so I could take some proper photos. Took it out of the lockups for a whole day on the thursday and got some lovely shots, but I put it back in the lockups once the music started becuase without press or VIP access you're not going to be able to get a photo of anybody on stage. I sort of understand the phone camera thing for people standing right up the front because they can actually see it (and because it's too rammed for anybody to dance anyway) but this experience I had at the Chems was over half way back. Mental.

I took my NikonP900 in 2017, and got some cracking shots :)

image.thumb.png.2e8258d0a427b03915978b7857e6265e.pngthis is the guy in the crane that looks over the main stage. I love my P900 :)

image.thumb.png.69e6a11b4d380a4f24d806c2af184911.png

arcadia shot, I vaguely recall I was a bit squiffy by this time of night, so surprised it came out OK. shot from the balcony at Tow and Hitch

Edited by paulshane