Big Weekend Sets on iPlayer

bombfrog

Can't see a thread about this already so I thought I'd see what people though of the Glasto lineup acts like Stormzy, Miley, Vampire Weekend and (possibly) Foals sets.

Personally I was fairly uninspired by them all. Stormzy was absolutely fine but nothing more than you'd expect. Just like when Kanye played the Pyramid he fails to fill a stage when it's just him. He at least needs a hypeman, dj, whatever to play off against. They didn't show Blinded by Your Grace but I would imagine he'd have a choir, MNEK to sing with him etc. so he could make it work but as much as I love hip-hop I never think one person can pull off a big stage show like that on their own. Pretty much made my mind up for me that I'm off to see Tame Impala though.

Vampire Weekend didn't sound great to be honest, they were barely in time for half of it. I know they're normally better as their last live lounge was absolutely perfect but this set was a mess.

Miley - Only showed two songs but for a pop star she really can sing and she has a great band. I guess neither of these things should be surprising given her Nashville background but after watching her set I'm quite excited to see her on the Pyramid

Foals. Erm.... just a bit dull, but I've never been a huge fan. They write some good songs and the lead singer can sing but has trouble projecting and I found it hard to hear the lyrics. They neded to turn him up.

Outside of Glastonbury acts, the 1975 were actually surprisingly good and Mark Ronson is pretty bad at DJing but his tunes carry him through, especially his new one which is possibly my favourite track of 2019 so far. What was that tracksuit all about though?

Ah I forgot about Billie Eilish because I can't stand her. I'd have love to have seen the Sigrid set as she's down as a must see but they didn't show any of her on the BBC 4 coverage. I'll have to hunt it down on iPlayer.

Oh and Sam Fender, how could I forget Sam? Really good! They didn't show my favourite tracks on BBC4 but he seems pretty dependable. Definitely going places.

16 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Foals. Erm.... just a bit dull, but I've never been a huge fan. They write some good songs and the lead singer can sing but has trouble projecting and I found it hard to hear the lyrics. They neded to turn him up.

I've seen them at Glastonbury a couple of times and on one of those occasions it felt that way, when they get the sound right for a large outdoor venue though they sound fantastic (world of difference between their Other stage 2013 set and Pyramid 2016 set).  I get the feeling Foals work best in an academy sized venue live, I'll hopefully be able to confirm that when they do the rounds after Part 2 drops.

I was working all weekend so only catching up on the coverage today, Foals are the first on my list to check out.  I love the new material.

Billie Eilish was just a pair of words I'd seen on a screen until today.  Opening 10 minutes of her set have certainly confirmed she's an act I could enjoy live, plenty of energy, dirty synths and a voice like codeine, good stuff.

9 minutes ago, duke88 said:

At an event that quite literally only exists so the BBC can record the damn thing as well. I'm pretty sure they have better cameras than most people.

1 minute ago, incident said:

At an event that quite literally only exists so the BBC can record the damn thing as well. I'm pretty sure they have better cameras than most people.

Exactly, enjoy the moment and then watch it back when you get home! Living life through the screen of a phone.

• Upvote 1

I think the vast majority of people who attend the Big Weekend aren't seasoned gig/festival-goers and live their life on social media, so documenting a fairly novel day is of paramount importance.

Also, I love how the BBC have been running loads of positive stories on Middlesbrough this week in response to how it's one of the most poverty-stricken towns in the UK... and then have the gall to charge £6.50 for a pint of lager at the event.

Edited by StLewi

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

Glastonbury is no different unfortunately. Last time I saw the Chems I was surrounded by people videoing it instead of dancing. w*nkers.

Ooh, I've been censored ?

I do this to a certain degree, mainly will do it aware from main stages that aren't filmed by BBC but only do it so that I have the footage to look back over in years to come. AND the crucial bit is that I don't watch it through the screen, I'll press record, put my phone up and then just carry on enjoying the music and don't record over a minute.

But people who film a lot of the set instead of enjoying it really do piss me off.

25 minutes ago, nathy137 said:

I do this to a certain degree, mainly will do it aware from main stages that aren't filmed by BBC but only do it so that I have the footage to look back over in years to come. AND the crucial bit is that I don't watch it through the screen, I'll press record, put my phone up and then just carry on enjoying the music and don't record over a minute.

But people who film a lot of the set instead of enjoying it really do piss me off.

The footage will be absolutely terrible though. Far to shaky to actually see anything going on and the sound recording on phones is abysmal. What's the point?

Also, people upload this crap to youtube, so when you go looking for sets on youtube you can never find any decent footage, just loads of results linking to people's phone footage. Really hate those people.

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

Billie Eilish was just a pair of words I'd seen on a screen until today.  Opening 10 minutes of her set have certainly confirmed she's an act I could enjoy live, plenty of energy, dirty synths and a voice like codeine, good stuff.

her stage presence looks incredible for someone who's still only 17...

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

The footage will be absolutely terrible though. Far to shaky to actually see anything going on and the sound recording on phones is abysmal. What's the point?

Also, people upload this crap to youtube, so when you go looking for sets on youtube you can never find any decent footage, just loads of results linking to people's phone footage. Really hate those people.

It's for my personal use, not for social media/youtube. I first went in 2016 and I've recently gone through pics/videos that I took that year and just awesome to relive the memories that's all and tbf the actual footage and sound is really good for the majority of it.

But understand peoples annoyance to filming on phones and I do try to make sure I'm not interferring with anybody elses experience.

2 minutes ago, nathy137 said:

It's for my personal use, not for social media/youtube. I first went in 2016 and I've recently gone through pics/videos that I took that year and just awesome to relive the memories that's all and tbf the actual footage and sound is really good for the majority of it.

But understand peoples annoyance to filming on phones and I do try to make sure I'm not interferring with anybody elses experience.

Fair play, still don't understand it really as I couldn't enjoy the gig as much while filming it but  itsounds like you're not one of the people I'm referring to and you're aware of the issues that could spoil other people's fun.

7 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Doesn't spoil anybody else's enjoyment of the summer though, does it.

It really gets on my wick badly. A pic or a wee vid now and again is fine but loads of people don't put their phones away throughout.

People doing it at football matches now as well. You pay a ridiculous amount of money to go and watch something live and then spend the whole time unable to switch off and enjoy the moment so that you can go home and watch the recording of it after

Mental. 

Yeah I had a flick through. 

Ronson was surprisingly enjoyable.

Eilish-safe to say I don’t get it. I kept thinking ‘this is gonna get good....any second....there must be something to warrant the hype’ but nothing. Not for me.

Sigrid-pretty good and hoo boy has she got some tunes.

Foals-sounded good but looked really uncomfortable 

Vampire Weekend-looked uncomfortable and sounded poor as well.

The 1975- <Alan Partridge shrug gif>

Pale Waves - nah

Stormzy-decent but I still won’t be watching at Glastonbury 

Miley Cyrus - Possibly preferred her Dad

Edited by MEGABOWL
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

It really gets on my wick badly. A pic or a wee vid now and again is fine but loads of people don't put their phones away throughout.

People doing it at football matches now as well. You pay a ridiculous amount of money to go and watch something live and then spend the whole time unable to switch off and enjoy the moment so that you can go home and watch the recording of it after

Mental. 

Last football match I went to I couldn’t process the irony in people being told to sit down when standing up to sing, but the bloke in front of me holding up a f**king IPad the whole match? Yeah that’s fine.